US vs Lithuania

Surprised i didn't see this one yet because the game ended a while back, even on Canadian TV, but i see NBC is still showing it.

*spoiler*

US won by 8 points (or somewhere below 10 points) to win bronze.

Still counts just as much as a Gold or Silver in the medal count, as long as United States doesn't tie anyone for the medal count -- which I think is pretty much impossible now, anyways.

Still counts just as much as a Gold or Silver in the medal count, as long as United States doesn't tie anyone for the medal count -- which I think is pretty much impossible now, anyways.

The medal tally goes by gold medals though, not by medal count.

The medal tally goes by gold medals though, not by medal count.

Erm, incorrect. There is no "official" way to count medals. I was saying that it's basically the same as a silver or gold in most medal counts, however -- very few places actually rank by gold or give points (i.e. 3 for gold, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze).

There really is no official "winner" of the Olympics. That would take the entire meaning out of the games. However, most media outlets do determine a "winner" by going by the total medal count, with gold medals being the tie-breaker (then silver, obviously).

Even if you're going by the official site, though, check this out -- http://www.athens2004.com/en/OlympicMedals/medals

That's the official medal count... look at the last column and how they rank it.

EDIT: Here's a quote from the Olympic Charter for you:

The Olympic Games are competitions between athletes in individual or

team events and not between countries. They bring together the athletes

designated for such purpose by their respective NOCs, whose entries

have been accepted by the IOC, and who through their sports

performances compete under the technical direction of the IFs

concerned.

The games aren't against countries, but rather the participants :)

One more quote:

The IOC shall not draw up any global ranking per country. A roll of

honour bearing the names of medal winners and those awarded diplomas

in each event shall be established by the OCOG which will deliver it to

the IOC.

Edited by Scorpio

who got gold? :D (joking)

Argentina

We (lithuanians) were confident that our team last at least to the finals but it didin't turn out very well.

BTW, I'm lithuanian.

who got gold? :D (joking)

Yeah, they played a good game. I was concerned though when Manu GINO-BLEEE went down towards the end of the first half since I'm a Spurs fan.

Argentina

We (lithuanians) were confident that our team last at least to the finals but it didin't turn out very well.

BTW, I'm lithuanian.

ME TOO :laugh: