Unread Mail at logon

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but why hasn't Microsoft tied the unread mail message indicator to POP/IMAP based email? It's all good and well to know that I have unread hotmail, which I use only for Microsoft notices/newsletters, but why not release a powertoy that polls a POP account and lets ya know when you have...you know...real email? ;)

Just wondering if this has been mentioned before...and if so was there a concensus, or 3rd party app that fills the void?

I've been kinda wondering about this too...what e-mail client does it support to get the 'new mail notification'..?? I'm using MS Outlook XP...shouldn't there some way for it to work for that??

i suppose the best solition is to use POP FORWARDING to your hotmail account

I considered that, but I archive all my email, and that wouldn't be quite as simple via hotmail, unless there's an option I missed poking around the settings.

which has better junk/spam filtering, outlook or hotmail?

My hotmail account has always been flooded with spam, even its new filters still lets spam through, the 'new mail' at login thing p*sses me right off.

As far as outlooks anti spam measures go, I think its quite basic, but i've not tried. I've somehow managed to keep my main account free of spam for a good 6years, quite proud of that ;)

Jon

Originally posted by Jon

.... I've somehow managed to keep my main account free of spam for a good 6years, quite proud of that ;)

Jon

Yo wht tha hell did you do.. you need to tell me cuz i'm getting flooded in my yahoo account!

XP doesnt do just hotmail...I don't have any hotmail accounts and I get that unread mail thing too. I am using outlook express and a POP account.

Only thing is...You must have hotmail RUNNING for it to be updated. If you leave unread mail in outlook express and then close it, it will just stay at whatever and not update until you open outlook again to check your mail..so it's kinda pointless because the only time it updates is when I acutally check my mail myself.

THat would explain why i've never seem unread mail in outlook posted there.

Because i've already read it :)

Other guy : I kept my account free of spam by using another account for any lists, webpage login accounts, online shopping etc.

My main one is just for private / NG (with junk in replyto) stuff.

I recon ppl just spam random yahoo / hotmail address's , probably use a dictionary from L0ftcrack of sumfin ;)

Jon