Top 25 Greatest Individual Seasons

ESPN.com just released an article where they picked the greatest individual seasons ever for all sports.

First place went to Barry Bonds in the year 2001 where he shattered many records.

Top 25

Who do you think should be first? I personally agree that Bonds should be first.

ESPN.com just released an article where they picked the greatest individual seasons ever for all sports.

First place went to Barry Bonds in the year 2001 where he shattered many records.

Top 25

Who do you think should be first? I personally agree that Bonds should be first.

Those all seem really impressive, but the one that jumped out, grabbed my balls, and made me scream "whoa nelly!" was:

BARRY SANDERS, 1988, Oklahoma State

2,850 rushing yards, 7.3 per carry, 44 TDs, Heisman

The numbers have to be fiction. Well, they are, sort of: the above numbers do include Sanders' 222-yard, five-TD performance in the Holiday Bowl. In the regular season, he totaled 3,249 yards of total offense. In one five-game stretch, he rushed for 320, 215, 312, 293 and 332 yards. And those are the facts.

That's ****ing insane. Pardon my zeal, but this happens every year when college ball kicks off... I got nothing but football on my brain..

I agree with you, but considering that was done in college, it woldn't be considered number one. When I saw 2,850 rushing, I had to rub my eyes to make sure I wasn't seeing things...until I saw Oklahoma St. Those are unique numbers for college players, worthy of the top 25 :yes:

WTF? Gretzky's '82 season was far better than any of his others, individually, yet it's at 27th...

And, yes, I know it's better STATISTICALLY, but if you ask me it was just all-around better, period.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I don't agree with having a steroid-enraged player who said he'd erase everyone's memory of Babe Ruth as top. Not only that, but while it was a great season, it wasn't #1 of all-time.

Edited by Scorpio

Scorpio, please do not accuse Bonds of steroids. He has yet to fail a drug test, or even if he did, MLB hasn't announced it. This tends to be the answer to the success of every athlete. Take for example Armstrong, they are accusing him of steroids because of his success in the Tour de France.

Just appreciate what he has done until it has been proven he is not legit.

Scorpio, please do not accuse Bonds of steroids. He has yet to fail a drug test, or even if he did, MLB hasn't announced it. This tends to be the answer to the success of every athlete. Take for example Armstrong, they are accusing him of steroids because of his success in the Tour de France.

Just appreciate what he has done until it has been proven he is not legit.

Why shouldn't I accuse him of it? Marion Jones is in the exact same situation, yet it's OK to implicate her?

MLB isn't allowed to announce who failed the drug test until after the second (or maybe even later) failed test. The difference in Armstrong and Bonds is so large it's not even worth bringing up. And, yes, most successful atheletes are implicated with steroids, but most of the times it doesn't get very far... with Bonds, it gets far... wonder why...

Why shouldn't I accuse him of it? Marion Jones is in the exact same situation, yet it's OK to implicate her?

MLB isn't allowed to announce who failed the drug test until after the second (or maybe even later) failed test. The difference in Armstrong and Bonds is so large it's not even worth bringing up. And, yes, most successful atheletes are implicated with steroids, but most of the times it doesn't get very far... with Bonds, it gets far... wonder why...

And...Ironically, Both Bonds' and Jones' ability has fallen off since the BALCO stuff came public. Hmmm.

Anywhoo...

Call me biased (which you will)...but Emmitt Smith's 1995 season should be worth noting...1773 yards, with 25 Rushing TDs

And...Ironically, Both Bonds' and Jones' ability has fallen off since the BALCO stuff came public.

Looks like someone hasn't been watching baseball latel:whistle:e:

And...Ironically, Both Bonds' and Jones' ability has fallen off since the BALCO stuff came public. Hmmm.

Bonds is batting .367, 38HRs, 88RBIs, and a slugging pct. of .818. He also has 188 Walks in 308 ABs, and has struckout only 29 times.

He's also on pace to better his 2002 MVP year in which he walked 198 times (.370, 47HR, 110RBI). He just came off a 4-5 Sunday Night Baseball game in which he murdered my Braves, so I don't care for him much, but the dude is good. Real good.

Bonds is batting .367, 38HRs, 88RBIs, and a slugging pct. of .818. He also has 188 Walks in 308 ABs, and has struckout only 29 times.

He's also on pace to better his 2002 MVP year in which he walked 198 times (.370, 47HR, 110RBI). He just came off a 4-5 Sunday Night Baseball game in which he murdered my Braves, so I don't care for him much, but the dude is good. Real good.

Yeah, but only 38 home runs? He's always been a good hitter. :) Less juice, less pop. :yes:

FYI: Bonds has always had a good BA. I think he was referring to the home run numbers (which he is, judging from the last post). Normally when you think of steroids you think of helping HR count, not BA ;)

Also, his BA is horribly overrated. Look at how many times he's actually hit the ball.

Scorpio, look at the amount of times he is pitched to. When they do actually pitch to him, he crushes the ball, therefore having less official at bats and more hits, due to his walks.

BOOGS, he is actually doing better than he did 2 years ago before the BALCO scandal came out. I honestly believe he is a legit baseball player. We won't see another player like this for coming decades, though Pujols is shaping up to be a great baseball player.

I sincerely hope Bonds reaches 756 Homeruns. It will be a once in a lifetime thing, and being part of it, makes it that much special.

You just made my point, L3thal.

Tell me -- are BA's higher in the season, or lower? I'll tell you: higher. So, how is it amazing that a person pitched to less has a better batting average? I'll tell you: it's not.

You just made my point, L3thal.

Tell me -- are BA's higher in the season, or lower? I'll tell you: higher. So, how is it amazing that a person pitched to less has a better batting average? I'll tell you: it's not.

Can you clarify your argument? I'm not understanding.

Can you clarify your argument? I'm not understanding.

Walks, walks, walks. They keep the ABs down, and that is why Bonds has a shot this season. Call it the Ted Williams formula if you like, but just acknowledge that any man who walks as much as Bonds isn't going to need all that many hits in order to bat .400.

Forget 200 hits, or 180 or even 150. Right now, Barry Bonds is walking at a projected pace of 259 bases on balls. It's impossible to pinpoint, since we don't know how many games he'll play, and in the last three full seasons he's gone from 153 to 143 to 130. Say he only walks 200 times. ("Only." That's pretty funny, huh?) Then he'd need just 121 hits in 302 at-bats in order to hit .400 (.40066, actually). Reduce the walks by 20 and he'd still only need 129 hits to bat .400 (.40062).

Just for laughs, consider that when Sisler hit .407 for the 1920 St. Louis Browns (that's the Baltimore Orioles for you young'uns) he did so while smashing out a still-record 257 hits (in 631 at-bats). Sisler walked just 46 times that season. But that's right in keeping with the typical .400 hitter. The most Cobb walked during one of his three .400 seasons was 55 in 1922. Among the old-old guys, the most bases on balls during a .400 season was Hornsby's league-leading 89 in 1924, when he hit a rousing .424. It was a swing-the-bat era, all right.

So now your bashing his BA because pitchers are scared to pitch to him? Bonds gets frustrated when he goes up to bat and he gets walked. Wouldn't you feel the same way if you get walked 3 out of 4 times because you're good?

If Bonds wasn't walked as much, he would've still had a BA he has now. Think about it, they don't pitch to him because he is a threat to hit a HR all the time, but when they do pitch to him, he hits it out anyway.