Rooey goes to Man Utd

Wayne Rooney has been officially unveiled as a Manchester United player during a press conference at Old Trafford.

The England striker sat alongside Sir Alex Ferguson and David Gill in front of the media as the United manager declared his delight at snaring the Everton attacker.

Ferguson revealed that the deal would not have happened had Newcastle United not made their approach for the teenager, and confessed that he has wanted to sign the player since hearing of Rooney as a 14-year-old.

"He's 18 and could spend all his years as a professional at this club," said Ferguson. "Age-wise, it's a great signing but it's more than that.

"The potential he's shown, well I knew that years ago anyway, but the last two years has been phenomenal.

"I think it was a case that Manchester United could not afford to miss out on him.

"We're not exactly sure about his injury. He goes for another scan tomorrow and hopefully it'll be much clearer then. He's not far away - only two to three weeks. Hopefully he'll be doing some running, he did some training this morning, but we'll be better placed tomorrow.

"I think we've got a good reputation with players here. They are professionals and we look after them well. I don't see (handling Rooney) as a problem.

"It was some years ago when he played against our youth team that I got a call from our staff saying they'd seen a player and I should do something about it. But he didn't want to leave Everton and was too young anyway, but we showed interest even then, at 14.

"It's not been easy for the lad. I can understand the emotions from Everton. Quite rightly, they regard themselves as a big club. I do too, they are a great club with fantastic fans but Wayne rightly pointed out the opportunity to play European football and Everton, at the moment, don't do that.

"We also feel at this club we have big ambitions to do really well, all the time.

"It's a strange twist of fate. If Newcastle hadn't come in, probably he'd still be at Everton and wouldn't be here. Once we knew Everton were talking to another club, we had to do something.

"I didn't think he was available because I spoke to David Moyes at the end of the season and thought he wasn't for sale.

"I can see him playing in several positions. He is a total footballer. He can play anywhere - in midfield or anywhere up front. Perhaps we won't put him in the back four!

"He can play in midfield or up front, where he made a great impact at the European Championship. In that respect, I've an open mind but probably his best position is just behind the striker. There are options open to do a lot of things and he has the ability to beat men which is important if you're playing there."

Source

What do you think? Personally I think it's a great move for him

so so, of course I dont want untied to have another talent, it just makes the competition harder... but I think it is a good move for him... He's just on the edge between mature and inmature for united... When I say mature I mean ready for a large club....

For Rooney it is a great move: Ferguson is an amazing coach of young players and will definately get the best out of him. We won't be seeing a lot of Rooney in the coming months, I would imagine, as Ferguson will protect him from the press and get him developed as a footballer. This means no interviews, no press conferences and probably only a few premiership appearences, giving Roon a chance to mature as a footballer and reap the rewards of not being in the media spotlight.

As for United, this deal probably will leave them out of pocket, certainly for another couple of years. After this time, Roon will have matured as a player and will be much more worth the 27m price tag. At this moment , though, I wouldn't pay 5m for him.

That Rooney is one fugly c*nt.

oh...and....SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIT...I'm in a football thread..

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hate football.

:mad:

I've heard that Sir Clive Woodward will be taking over from Alex ferguson soon too...

..his first job will be to sign a couple of hookers to play with Rooney!! :laugh:

Pity he didnt go to Newcastle, I was just dying to see what headline the tabloids came up with, Rooney/Toony wise!!

Pete

United Seriously Don't stand a chance at a treble, its very unlikely they will finish higher than third IMO. Chelsea and Arsenal look so much better, again.

I think its been very Exciting times from an England point of view, we now are starting to get players abroad and Rooney is finally at a club where can get Champions League Experiance and brilliant support all around. If I was an Everton fan I'd be glad, the cash goes along way in sorting their bank balance out.

Djemba is a midfielder not a striker. While this is a good move for United, it's just another example of English players being hyped beyond belief and being sold for quite simply stupid amounts.

United Seriously Don't stand a chance at a treble, its very unlikely they will finish higher than third IMO. Chelsea and Arsenal look so much better, again.

I think its been very Exciting times from an England point of view, we now are starting to get players abroad and Rooney is finally at a club where can get Champions League Experiance and brilliant support all around. If I was an Everton fan I'd be glad, the cash goes along way in sorting their bank balance out.

Chelsea and Arsenal both play at amazing levels. Chelsea is a squad filled with superb players, they may even beat Real Madrid. I admire Drogba and Arjen Robben so much!! :D

Anyway, back to Rooney, I'll be looking forward to seeing him play together with Giggs, Rio Ferdinand, RVN, Smith, Scholes. Wow, the thought just excites me every minute. :p

Rooney is a great talent but could if not guided become the next gascoigne....but ferguson has as many years he has left at united to mould him him into a legend...so we can only hope when he's fit he starts netting for not just united but England :)

I wish Rooney stayed at Everton becuase i hate Man Utd and i love Chelsea. Rooney is not worth 27m at the moment and fergie probably should of bought a central midfielder to add some creativity to the utd midfied and a new full back with that money becuase silvestre is a prone to errors and so is Wes Brown.