Hp dvd writer (dvd420i)

I picked this DVD burner up from Staples due to it was on sale for $99.95 CND which is a great price. The drive is amazing. The only issue I had with it wasn't my or Hp's fault at all. When I picked it up at Staples on of the sale clerks dropped the box with the burner inside of it due to they were taking the security stuff off it. They picked it off the ground and gave it to me, I thought it would work perfectly. Well, the DVD side of the drive work but anytime it would touch a cd (any type) the computer would lock up. So I exchanged it for the exact same model and they didn't drop it this time so everything is working great. LoL, so in the long run, DON'T drop it :p.

This is the box it comes in:

Q2133A_ABA.jpg

This is what the drive looks like:

Z1137198.jpg

The drive is a dual media (+ and -) drive so it can handle DVD+/-R or DVD+/-RW with no issues. The drive burns at for DVD: 8x/4x/12x and for CD 24x/10x/40 . Those speeds aren't as high as some of the drives out but they do fine.

The installation of the drive is very simple, like any other IDE device. You first though need to install the software and drivers on to the computer then put it in, or so they say :p.

Software that comes included is PowerDVD, HpDVD, Record Now, SimpleBackup and ArcSoftShowbiz 2.0(Get the update off the Hp site or the audio on your DVD will suck I found out) and muvee autoProducer DVD edition. They are really good programs and I'm impressed with it. The drive burns Data and Video very quick and these programs run great on my 1.67 ghz Hp Pavilion 761n desktop.

Included in the box:

- DVD+RW Disk

- IDE Cables

- Screws

- Manuals

- And the drive :rolleyes:

Pros:

- Dual media (+ and -)

- Hp quality

- Good software

- Runs perfectly

- Fast burning

- Includes all you need

Cons:

- It's not dual layer (not that big of an issue, you just need 2 disks to equal one dual layer disk)

- If you drop the box it can break :p

I would recommend this drive to anyone who needs a dvd burner, it's so amazing

Just don't drop it! lol

Edited by thenewbrgnewman

I really like that HP finally jumped on the dual format bandwagon. DVD-R/RW is more compatible with some DVD players and the like and I'm glad they added it. Nothing wrong with DVD+R/RW I guess, but this way you are covered. And $99 sounds like a GREAT deal! Congrats, and thanks for the post.

I really like that HP finally jumped on the dual format bandwagon. DVD-R/RW is more compatible with some DVD players and the like and I'm glad they added it. Nothing wrong with DVD+R/RW I guess, but this way you are covered. And $99 sounds like a GREAT deal! Congrats, and thanks for the post.

ya, both of my dvd players are having no issues reading them. Even my dam toshiba one! lol (man I hate my toshiba one :angry: )

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same drive, got it at Walmart, theres a firmware update for it to make it dvd420n, was already applied at mine.

i absolutely love this drive, does not get hot either, have burned 6 disks in a row with with it and the drive is still cool.

I have the exact same drive, got it at Walmart, theres a firmware update for it to make it dvd420n, was already applied at mine.

i absolutely love this drive, does not get hot either, have burned 6 disks in a row with with it and the drive is still cool.

how hard was it to do the firmware upgrade?

For the record staples just received the dvd530i they sellit right now at 129$can and this wednesday they'll be dropping the price to 99$can.

the drive does about the same thing as the 420i but it also writes on DVD+R DL ... thats 8.5 gig on 1 dvd ... but those medias are still hard to get at a good price last time I checked it was 50$can for 3 verbatim ...

but still 99$ for a brand new model is pretty good.

wow , thats real cheap for a dvd rw , i wish they sold that kinda stuff over here , the cheapest we get here is not half the quality & it costs almost the double , damn !!!!!!

wow , thats real cheap for a dvd rw , i wish they sold that kinda stuff over here , the cheapest we get here is not half the quality & it costs almost the double , damn !!!!!!

lol, I know. Where do you live even?

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed 100000000000000000000%!!!!!!

Damn, I was a sucker for DVD Burners..

780.00$CAD for the HP 200i Back in 2002.. @_@

Agreed 100000000000000000000%!!!!!!

Damn, I was a sucker for DVD Burners..

780.00$CAD for the HP 200i Back in 2002.. @_@

BURN!!!

:argh: SUCKS TO BE YOU! :argh:

lol, srry. $780!? Holy crap! Mine is a dual media but yours only does +R/W and the speed of the drive is: DVD: 2.4X2.4X8 CD: 12X10X32 (off hp site, srry if wrong). Man, that sucks. Mine is DVD: 8X4X12 CD: 24X10X40 BUT the it actually burns cd-r's at 32X.