[NFL] AndersEn OUT!

wow http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1874274

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Morten Andersen, the second-leading scorer in NFL history, was told Friday he has lost his job to a kicker 18 years younger.

"A tough decision. A risky decision," Kansas City Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said.

The 44-year-old Andersen has scored 2,259 points since breaking into the NFL with New Orleans in 1982. Only Gary Anderson has scored more.

"Morten Andersen I think will kick in the league," Vermeil said. "If he's not kicking in the league and our decision ends up not being a good decision, we'll bring him back."

Vermeil said the Chiefs would contact other teams to help Andersen get another opportunity.

awww isnt that nice. sucks for him though. i thought he would retire there.

any team need a veteran kicker??

it's not the teams faults that the players want to go somewhere to "win" or to "make a lot of money"...

i blame the players. but this dude got shafted, cuz the kid was just better than he was...

the better man should get the job, right?

it's not the teams faults that the players want to go somewhere to "win" or to "make a lot of money"...

i blame the players. but this dude got shafted, cuz the kid was just better than he was...

the better man should get the job, right?

I remember when the 49'rs effectively kicked Joe Montana and Jerry Rice out. Oakland just kicked out Tim Brown. The Ravens kicked out their superbowl winning quaterback Trent Dilfer. Dallas got rid of Troy Aikman and Emmit Smith.

The NFL players have it bad in that they can be cut. The contract money is not guaranteed at all - only the signing bonus, I believe. There is no "Larry Bird" exception either. I would think you would want to keep your hometown heroes with your team. For the fans and to reward them for their service to the club.

You are right that the best should normally get the job, but for those exceptional guys like Montana, Rice, etc., I think they should be able to keep the spot if they can get the job done.

Edited by Bearded Kirklander