Can someone explain Fantasy Football to me?

I have a very limited understandiing of some of the concepts of Fantasy Football.

If I have this right:

• - You for a league from a group of 32 people or groups of people.
    - You have a list of all the current Offensive NFL players that are available.
    - Some leagues also have a list of all current Defensive NFL players available.
    - Some simply draft an entire team Defense to make tracking stats easier.
    - From these master lists, you go through a draft, each team picking a player.
    - After all drafting is done, Offense and Defense, you all have a final roster.

Now this is where I start to get confused. I assume there is a reserve pool in case of injuries, and I assume that some trading is allowed between teams, sometimes with a limit of 2 or 4 trades per season, something like that.

So, my question really is - How do you track your team and decide who wins and who loses for each game? Is it done on a game by game basis, or a season long basis? Are victories assigned with regular scoring, or is there a "total statistical points" system involved?

If someone can kind of explain the way all that works (just an overview really) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

BK

ok first off there isnt necessarily 32 teams usually its about 10-16. yes whole defenses are usually chosen and the stats that the defenses achieve (ints, sacks, points allowed, int returned for tds) are added up and added to the stats for ur offensive players (pass yds, rushing yds, tds, ints, etc). those totals are added up and if your total points are higer than ur opponents you win. there is a bench that allows you to switch out players when they have a bye week. you can carry the bench players as long as u want. most leagues dont limit trades but some leagues do require them to be approved by other teams to keep it fair.

ok first off there isnt necessarily 32 teams usually its about 10-16. yes whole defenses are usually chosen and the stats that the defenses achieve (ints, sacks, points allowed, int returned for tds) are added up and added to the stats for ur offensive players (pass yds, rushing yds, tds, ints, etc). those totals are added up and if your total points are higer than ur opponents you win. there is a bench that allows you to switch out players when they have a bye week. you can carry the bench players as long as u want. most leagues dont limit trades but some leagues do require them to be approved by other teams to keep it fair.

Cool. Thanks. :)

So, next question is, who keeps the stats? Does each individual team do their own stats? Or are there online services that do the stat collecting for you so you can either download them or view them online?

I would think tracking all those stats would be a time consuming process, but doing the work yourself would be free I guess.

I think that it would be much easier to have it done for you online, but would imagine that is what some sites do in exchange for revenue.

So, they track stats week to week and have a weekly "bet" or pot-winner or something like that? Or do all the people put the money into the pot and the big winner at the end gets it all?

Thanks again,

BK

most people have moved to online services for stat tracking. most fantasy football leagues i know have pot that is distributed at the end of the season based on some type of scale. winners most etc, but i guess its possible to have weekly pots but most don't. there are plenty of free sites such as yahoo where neowin actually has 2 leagues going. no charge they keep track of the stats and there are add ons that u can buy to keep live stats of your team. look up in the stickies section and maybe you can join the rest of us in some friendly competition.

Thanks very much for the info. The fact that online sites will keep stats for you is pretty cool. Takes a lot of the work out of it. Basically, you pick who you pick and sit back and watch during the season and compare stats at the end.

That is much easier than I thought.

Do you happen to have a link to the Yahoo fantasy stuff? I'd kinda like to see what someones Fantasy Stat Sheet looks like, for example.

Thanks again,

BK

Thanks very much for the info.  The fact that online sites will keep stats for you is pretty cool.  Takes a lot of the work out of it.  Basically, you pick who you pick and sit back and watch during the season and compare stats at the end. 

That is much easier than I thought.

Do you happen to have a link to the Yahoo fantasy stuff?  I'd kinda like to see what someones Fantasy Stat Sheet looks like, for example.

Thanks again,

BK

i dont think you will be able to take a look at someone's draft sheet but here is the link to the neowin league.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=202035&st=0

if you really want to see how the draft works or maybe some stats on where people are drafting you can go to the fantasy league on espn.com here

http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/ffl/frontpage

i would suggest u just give it a shot in the neowin league and learn as you go. its fun even for a first timer.

Edited by christracy

Thanks for the info.

Don't suppose you can provide a direct screen capture to a stats page and/or draft page so I can check out what it looks like when you are involved.

I'd really appreciate it.

BK