XPSP2 FW & Corporate enviroment

M$ gets the most if its money from corporate users/enviroment....

Firewall of XPSP2 is great, because you can handle it through group policy and you can block ###### from out (mostly)....

BUT what about those losers from IN... lol... you cant do ****e about them... best shot is to kick them from building!

Disappointed!!! And for reason... :whistle:

If you really think im wrong... TELL ME! :blink:

If people weren't so stoopid... there would be choice... MS does nothing... people bitch. MS gets proactive... people bitch... Don't like it ... move on to a different OS...

BUT what about those losers from IN... lol... you cant do ****e about them... best shot is to kick them from building!

What exactly is this suppose to mean? What are you trying to block, not block - what?

Can you give some example(s) of what traffic you would like to block? "those loser from IN..." does not really convey any useful information about your concerns.

Example... I cant block certain port range (outbound)... irc, p2p crap. Stuff that really dont belong in that sort of environment.

And before someone says, use hardware firewall etc... dont, that aint issue here ;)

phono then do what you did in SP1 and older use a router or 3rd party firewall and disable the XP built in firewall. The XP firewall isnt intended as an advanced do it all firewall its intended to protect those who currently dont bother with security of any kind.

Example... I cant block certain port range (outbound)... irc, p2p crap. Stuff that really dont belong in that sort of environment.

And before someone says, use hardware firewall etc... dont, that aint issue here ;)

I do not believe that MS ever had any intentions of blocking outbound traffic with the improved firewall installed with SP2. Why do you feel that it should be included?

Per your request - I am not suggesting you use a hardware firewall, etc.. I just do not see why you would need to block outbound traffic on the client in a corp network. Since would not any unwanted traffic be prevented at the border router and or firewall for inbound and outbound of your network. Internal unwanted traffic could be prevented on the internal routers and or managed switches that allow for ACLs, etc.. Is it not easier to configure a few devices to block the traffic, vs every client? I just find it hard to picture a corp network, where there would not be some type of border devices, etc..

Also the installation of any unwanted software that would create this type of traffic should also be prevented by user rights assigned on the machine, and or atleast by policy ;) Ie the installation of such software could be harmful to your employment, etc..

I am not saying that the firewall on the client does not have its place on corp network - but why do you feel you need to block outbound as well as inbound? If you can block the ports these unwanted programs use to talk inbound on every client, why exactly do you need to block them outbound as well. The software will not function inside your network - so what exactly would be the reason to install this unwanted software? And even if they do - what exactly are they going to do with it? Since there will be nobody to talk to?

If your worried about preventing what you consider malicious code from talking outbound on your network, etc.. Would it not be better to focus on prevention of infection/installation of this code, vs stopping it from working once a machine is running it? I am pretty sure this is the stance that MS is taking.

So how exactly does MS not including outbound filtering in SP2 cause any disappointment and or concern with its corp customers? Could you give some example(s) of how blocking outbound traffic on any specific ports buys you anything more than blocking inbound on these unwanted traffic ports? Keep in mind that it really should be a given that any corp network would have the ability to block unwanted traffic in and out of their local network to any other network, if they don't -- they really NEED to look into that ASAP!

Also, I would not believe that any small Mom&Pop type setup that does not have the ability to filter traffic on the network would be where MS is getting most of their money as you put it. I would agree that a large portion of MS money does come from it's corporate users - but I can not see these players in any way complaining that sp2 did not include outbound filtering. How many real corp players (setups with 100 and 1000s if not 10's of thousands of computers) do you feel have any real need for MS's attempt at a firewall for the desktop?

Why all the concern about Outbound traffic? If you are so worried about outbound have you not conceeded that your Inbound is a sieve and anything can get through?

Stop the Inbound crap and the Outbound takes care of itself...