23 members have voted

1. 1. A Boxing classic

• bernard hopkins
    • oscar de la hoya
    • niether it will be a draw
    • dont know
    • dont care
    • who are they

I Dont know if anyone cares here, but this month 2 of the greatest fighters of our time are going to clash in what will surely be a night to remember, hopefully for the right reasons.

I thought I would post a poll to get peoples predictions :)

max.

I voted Hopkins. I think it will be a great fight and will probably come down to a decision, but Bernard has wanted respect for the longest time and I think he just wants it more. De La Hoya has been a great champion and a great boxer for the sport (stays out of trouble, is a good sport) but I don't think he cares much about boxing anymore.

De La Hoya has been a great champion and a great boxer for the sport (stays out of trouble, is a good sport) but I don't think he cares much about boxing anymore.

^ Hit the nail on the head.

I voted Hopkins. I think it will be a great fight and will probably come down to a decision, but Bernard has wanted respect for the longest time and I think he just wants it more. De La Hoya has been a great champion and a great boxer for the sport (stays out of trouble, is a good sport) but I don't think he cares much about boxing anymore.

Also voted Hopkins, easily. DLH's retirement fight. Was so close to being at the fight (free ticket offered) but just couldnt afford the rest of the trip. Very very bad timing for me. It would have been my dream come true to watch two of my most favorites go at it.

But yeah, soloredd, my outlook on it is a tad bit different. Believe Hopkins has all the respect in the world already, look at the odds. First time DLH will go in as underdog. Also believe that DLH is just doing it for the money (like I said retirement fight) but thats not because he is not interested in boxing, its because "he knows" he is in too deep with Hopkins. Truly believe he knows he cant beat Hopkins. Still cant believe he is fighting Hopkins.

Theres also the rumors flying around. DLH padding Hopkins pocket to lay down so there can be a huge money rematch between the two of them plus a winner takes all showdown including Trinidad. Then theres the crowd that says "DLH is a slick boxer and may surprise us". Well, surprise away I say.

Truly wish I could go. Just have to look at the bright side, the best seat is in my living room.

Nice sig, digipoi. That's a bummer you couldn't get to Vegas; one thing I couldn't stand about living in Hawaii was not being able to travel cheap, hehe.

I can't possibly believe for a second that Bernard would take a drop to get another fight. The guy is in his late 30s already and even though the odds are in his favor, he still enters the ring with his face covered, hinting that he still isn't respected. I'm sure die-hard boxing fans respect his talent and know his history, but the casual fan doesn't. And I still think he believes and wants to get another shot at Roy Jones (although we know that will never happen; but who knows). I could be wrong, and probably am, but I just love Bernard as a fighter so much that if he were to take a drop for a rematch, I would probably forget about boxing forever.

A bit off-topic here, but I'm still a little bummed about Sugar Shane's loss to Winky Wright. Shane is my all-time favorite fighter (with Hopkins right behind) and I would have my dream matchup of Mosely-Trinidad this fall if Shane would have won. I still think it was a bad risk...oh well.

You know, I highly doubt Hopkins would ever take a fall myself. Believe its all hubbub. But, in the theatre of the unexpected...

Winky is a very tough opponent to beat and Mosley will have his rematch with him in just a few. So we shall see what the outcome is. Im sorry to admit it, but I chose Winky to beat him before time and I had confidence about it. Truly dont feel Mosley should up at the weight he is at now. Neither DLH for that matter. They are just not that effective. Wish they both could have fought weighing in at 140. Would have seen better fireworks with their hand speed and power at the lower weight.

Ah well, maybe we will get that Boxing commision to clean up the sport. It wont be as glamorous but we will always be treated to good clean (fair) boxing.

hopkins would no way take a fall..not a chance...he is to interested in proving himself against DLH. H es got a chip on his shoulder big time. and yes i agree DLH is finished after this win or lose. after all he has his singing career :) lol. and he is also promoting...TBH I never liked DLH i just dont feel he is that genuine or nice. bernard is the real deal and for the record I voted for him to win not sure though if it will go the distance, some people are saying Bernard in 6. Now that would be good :)

Hopkins all the way.

I give Oscar credit for his overall history and place in Boxing, but he should have lost that last match to get this fight to begin with, as he was clearly beaten.

What sucks is I have really been looking forward to this fight myself, and it turns out I have a wedding to go to that night.

yep i know that feeling so annoying when suddenly u realise you cant even watch the fight that you have been looking forward to....also imagine how it is for us in the UK we have to stay up till 3 or 4 am to watch all the big fights live!

thats a little annoying somtimes. especially when we stay up for fights like the Danny williams VS tyson and it ends up being completely ****!

also i noticed that we have interesting result on the poll...DLH and Bernard are currently even

Hopkins all the way.

I give Oscar credit for his overall history and place in Boxing, but he should have lost that last match to get this fight to begin with, as he was clearly beaten.

What sucks is I have really been looking forward to this fight myself, and it turns out I have a wedding to go to that night.

Argh, a wedding. hate when those happen. Tell my wife all the time, wish we didnt know people so we wouldnt have to be committed in going. Yeah, we need something major to keep me away from watching that fight live. Hurricane, attack of killer bees, something.

yeah i cant wait now...although you will not believe it i dont think im gonna be able to cath it live in the UK!!!!!!! how ****ing annoying.

but It will be broadcast on the sunday hopefully!

typical huh

PS. look at the poll!! 18 votes..my biggest poll yet!

Edited by mnmeuk

yeah i cant wait now...although you will not believe it i dont think im gonna be able to cath it live in the UK!!!!!!! how ****ing annoying.

but It will be broadcast on the sunday hopefully!

typical huh

PS. look at the poll!! 18 votes..my biggest poll yet!

lol. I cant believe its actually tied between DLH and Hopkins.

yes it does seem a little silly to be tied at this point. but it at least it shows some faith in the underdog :)

Either way the fight goes, Im still a happy person. The joy of having two of my favs fighting. I cant loose.

Hopkins: I'm the new golden boy!

By Karl Freitag

Bernard Hopkins made his grand entrance today at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas earlier today. "The Executioner" arrived in a gold stretch limo with longtime trainer Bowie Fisher. He was met by several hundred fans and half-a-dozen TV crews. "I'm the biggest, tallest, strongest, meanest fighter Oscar has ever faced. You are standing here looking at the new Golden Boy," said Hopkins from a mini-boxing ring set up in the MGM Grand lobby. "It will be a clean fast-paced, tactical fight," he continued. "I want this to be fight of the year, although I realize Tarver has has an edge on me now. I'm hoping Oscar will try to win. Oscar doesn't come from where I came from, however I've watched many of his tapes the last three months, I watched him suck up a lot of body shots and come back strong. We're both smart and we both have good chins. This has been a first class promoton and I want a first class fight. I have a lot on a my plate and I really like winning." After that, Hopkins spoke to some reporters, signed autographs for fans and headed to his suite. (Photo: Chris Farina/Top Rank)

Monday, September 13 2004

You gotta love this guy....

Heres a compubox analysis on the fight....

http://www.compuboxonline.com/analysis/hop...-delahoya.shtml

Oscar's got to fight the perfect fight, trust his increased conditioning and focus and hope Hopkins ages in the ring. He needs to stay consistent with the jab, throwing 25-30 per round- he needs to land it as well, not an easy task as mentioned above. He's got to stay off the ropes and try to frustrate Hopkins in the middle of the ring. Getting Hopkins' attention early with a solid right cross and left hook or two may not be a bad idea either. Jones landed 49% of his power shots and those 12 opponents landed 36% of their non-jabs vs. Hopkins. Remember Ali nailed Foreman in round one and Leonard put some leather on Hagler early on just to let them know they were in a fight, not a track meet. Oscar figures to win the early rounds as Hopkins gets into gear. A faster Hopkins start could negate any Oscar edge early, but Hopkins then risks tiring late, when he figures to come on. Should Hopkins fall behind, he can't force the action and walk into punches. The feeling is he's too crafty for that and appears to really believe this is his night to shine- and shine he will, Hopkins by unanimous decision, dominating the late rounds.

Although I think its very possible for Hopkins to win by knockout or DLH claiming NO MAS!

CMon Boxing fans, look alive now!!! This is an incredible matchup!

Woo...its gonna be a battle of attrition...the clash of the titans.

However! it seems like absolutley no one is giving DLH even a punchers chance. there all saying well if DLH does this and if DLH does that then maybe he can win it. Everyone believes this is so one sided that it is almost begging to be one of the biggest upsets of all TIME

doghouse has already been slating DLH for months saying he hasnt got a chnace and that it sover for him! TBH i agree but, you must admit if there ever were gonna be an upset then it could so easily be in this fight.

anyway i cant wait...also Howard Eastmen (one of the best most unrecognised middle weights in the world will be fighting this week bbc boxing pages (eastmen) he fought joppy not so long ago (well last year actually and was out pointed but really robbed!) he is gonnna be big by early next year or not at all in my opinion.

and without going on Riddick Bowe is making a come back....jeez what funny year for the greatest sport in the world! (although this year was hardly a good year for boxing, it was still a bit of entertainment.)

riddick bowe comeback (dog house boxing)

max :)

you must admit if there ever were gonna be an upset then it could so easily be in this fight.

Actually, this fight is not such an "easily" upset-able fight.

Ive discussed this with a friend of mine whom which I dropped at the airport this morning so he could watch the fight live, that this fight could easily turn out to be a stale fight. It has all the makings to be a stale one. Im hoping not.

Thats in the sense that, it could be an early knockout or one-sided bullying by Hopkins. or a marathon where DLH just runs the whole time.

Its such an incredible match-up just for what-ifs. And all the what-ifs will "have" to be done by DLH. I cannot for the level headed reasoning in me, give DLH a chance to win. Hopkins is too complete, especially at his weight.

********************SPOILER**************************

Pretty good fight. Hopkins by KO via bodyshot 9th round. Whoo... gotta collect my money now, 12 to 1 odds for KO in the 9th :laugh:

Ill have more input later... especially on the scorecards up until the stopage... very questionable.