Getting WMP10 working under Server 2003

People do this all the time. Listen to the people in this thread that say that there are no or very little changes to kernel between XP and 2003. Do they have evidence to back up their claim? Not really. I could really care less whether someone wants to use WMP10 on Server 2003, but if something goes wrong with it and they start complaining, thats when they only have their self to blame. Now i'm not saying that someone here is complaining, but I have seen this elsewhere and it does get boring after awhile. So the point is, many people comment on things without bringing evidence to the conversation, and i'm no different. The only difference here is that I know there are the changes, but MS loves their NDAs. *shakes his head in misery*

VERY FEW companies have seen the entire source to 2003. Microsoft almost always only gives out portions so that companies can help or get their programs/drivers to run ok/better. In order for you to really know the changes, you would have to be privy to seeing substantial parts of the source, which would be why you would sign an NDA, which I find hogwosh and your excuse flimsy.

So, if you do indeed know, I don't think microsoft would care if you told us they tweaked their i/o, or maybe changed a part of the kernel scheduler, or something of that nature. But, just to say you know and twice now chalk it up to you just can't say........pretty lame. You just asked if they have proof to back up their claim 2003 has no kernel level changes, yet then you say you do but can't say. :rolleyes:

,Sep 11 2004, 11:13] that is not a valid reason - Don't make yourself look like a moron. Nobody asked for you to bring political viewpoints into an unrelated issue.

If he wants to install Wmp10 on server2003 let him. He also posted a guide for people who might like it.. Don't ridicule him for that. If you don't have anything relevant to say on the topic then go to another thread.

Merely an observation. No need to get defensive. :whistle:

Check out this article about windows developement.

Windows Server 2003: The Road To Gold

As noted earlier, the various Windows versions require a series of product development code forks, where each different Windows product "branches" off the main development "trunk" over time. So each Windows release builds off the last, and at least two different versions--Windows Server 2003 and Longhorn, at the time of this writing--are in simultaneously development. Because WinServer 2K3 was split from XP, the server product basically builds on XP. Longhorn, a client release that will succeed XP in a few years, is actually building off the server branch code base, and not XP as you might expect.

Mark Lucovsky, Windows Server Architect, indicated that Longhorn will be based off Server 2003 and NOT XP. In the context of this conversation, I find that intresting. If that will change in the next 10 years before Longhorn comes out I dont' know, but intresting none the less.

Everyone knows that Longhorn is, will be, and forever was based on Server 2003 code. What's your point? :huh: IIS will still have a maximum of 10 concurrent connections on the professional edition of Longhorn, and won't be around at all in the home edition... Things will be the same (comparitively) with Longhorn like they are with XP and Server 2003, though the version numbers will probably be the same between the client and server OSes...

Everyone knows that Longhorn is, will be, and forever was based on Server 2003 code. What's your point? :huh: IIS will still have a maximum of 10 concurrent connections on the professional edition of Longhorn, and won't be around at all in the home edition... Things will be the same (comparitively) with Longhorn like they are with XP and Server 2003, though the version numbers will probably be the same between the client and server OSes...

No, I think they started with the XP code base and then scrapped it in favour of the 2003 code base. I also heard they might be moving back to XP SP2 now.

Edit: Link

Edited by Cephas

i don't get it..you said:

Ok, here is what I did to get it to work, maybe someone can help me with the DRM part.

1. Extract MP10setup.exe

2. Edit all INF files and REM out the following line by adding ;; in front:

ClassGUID = {F5776D81-AE53-4935-8E84-B0B283D8BCEF}

3. Extract Attached Zip in to same directory.

4. Run included Bat file (replaces needed protected files)

5. Highlight all except WMP10.inf, Right click and Install. (Cancel the Windows File Protection Dialog)

6. Select WMP10.inf, Right click and Install. (Cancel the Windows File Protection Dialog)

7. Run included reg file (updates file version in registry)

You might have to reboot along the way I did it after I was all done with the above steps.

Enjoy WMP10 (except for the DRM Part)

Anyone have a clue on DRM?? Thats all that seems to be missing.

#1 Only one INF file seems to have "ClassGUID = {F5776D81-AE53-4935-8E84-B0B283D8BCEF}" in there.

#2 There is no WMP10.inf there only a wmp.inf file.

#3 After doing what you said..i clicked on setup..and i got windows media player 9 series?

any ideas why?

i don't get it..you said:

Ok, here is what I did to get it to work, maybe someone can help me with the DRM part.

1. Extract MP10setup.exe

2. Edit all INF files and REM out the following line by adding ;; in front:

ClassGUID = {F5776D81-AE53-4935-8E84-B0B283D8BCEF}

3. Extract Attached Zip in to same directory.

4. Run included Bat file (replaces needed protected files)

5. Highlight all except WMP10.inf, Right click and Install. (Cancel the Windows File Protection Dialog)

6. Select WMP10.inf, Right click and Install. (Cancel the Windows File Protection Dialog)

7. Run included reg file (updates file version in registry)

You might have to reboot along the way I did it after I was all done with the above steps.

Enjoy WMP10 (except for the DRM Part)

Anyone have a clue on DRM?? Thats all that seems to be missing.

#1 Only one INF file seems to have "ClassGUID = {F5776D81-AE53-4935-8E84-B0B283D8BCEF}" in there.

#2 There is no WMP10.inf there only a wmp.inf file.

#3 After doing what you said..i clicked on setup..and i got windows media player 9 series?

any ideas why?

I had the exact same problem at first. Don't go to the WMP page at microsoft.com. When you try and download, it detects you have 2003 and picks wmp9 for you. You have to get the actual download. With that, there are about 7 or so that have that classGUID parm in it.

When I inadvertantly got WMP9, I saw only 1 as well.

Here's one trick that may get WMP10 to fully install on Server 2003 *without* having to edit any INF files. Simply replace the "control.xml" file with this modified version (download below) then run setup_wm.exe.

Note: I have not had the opportunity to test this, since I do not have Server 2003 installed... The worse that can happen is WMP10 won't install... However, it's worth a shot IMO...

Edited by Firecat

No, I think they started with the XP code base and then scrapped it in favour of the 2003 code base. I also heard they might be moving back to XP SP2 now.

Sure, once 2003 was final, they integrated all the differences from the seperate codebases into the longhorn codebase. The same goes for XP SP2. With SP1 for Server 2003 you'll see similar features that are currently in SP2 because the codebases will be integrated. Same with longhorn; it will come out of the box with (improved) versions of the new features in XP SP2.

• 5 months later...
LOL :yes:

It's a friggin server.  Those who try to put WMP10 on it did, obviously, not pay for Server 2003.

584529937[/snapback]

you guys are ****ing idiots, wmp 9 comes stock with server 2003 dumbass... why make fun of someone for wanting a newer version cockblock.... lol jeez you guys that are all like "why put wmp10 on server idiot", your all tardasses that dont know your ass from a hole in the ground... so if MS didnt want wmp on a server os why the hell they put wmp 9 on the default install? so those of you putting others down for wanting new version of wmp : your an idiot, think before you post

It is only a personal preferences, it really doesn't matter if someone uses Windows 2003 Server as a Server or Workstation. As long as it works for them and do what they want to do, why argue? Heck, you can use Windows XP Pro as a server if you wanted you, just install some 3rd party software like Apache and you got yourself a web server. Althought I am not sure about the code differences, Windows 2003 does start up faster for most machines if used as a workstation, so I see no reason why someone would not want to use Windows 2003 Server as a workstation. Also, the person who started this thread only wants to help others that wants to upgrade their WMP 9 that is orignally included in Windows 2003 Server CD. I fail to see why everyone is argueing over which is better. We should thank him for his effort for the things he is willing to share with the community.

As much as I do enjoy windows, I use FreeBSD and Windows 2003 for my servers.