Razer Viper

I was a very loyal user of my Razer Boomslang 1000 until the ball started giving away, I then started using a Microsoft Intellimouse, but I missed my Razer..

I went over to the razerzone.com website to check out if they resumed taking orders for their Boomslang mouse, only to find out..THEY HAVE A NEW MOUSE!! With the quickness, I gave them my credit card number and shippping address. At the time I purchased it, it was $69.99, but I see they have now lowered the price to $49.99 :angry:

I opened to shipping box to see my "Razer Viper" tin sitting nicely wrapped in bubble. Ahhh, always a godo quality of Razer. A nicely polished tin instead of a box for packaging. I quickly pried open the tin to see the normal stuff that comes with a mouse, harware, software, installation guide, owners manual.

Another cool feature of Razer's mice is it comes stanard with a LANpack, which is basically a foam padded pouch for transportation. Which is a nice thing is you are a protection freak like I am.

image22.jpg

image23_sm.jpg

image24.jpg

Then I get down to the mouse, oh, how sweet it looks. :woot: I jumped up, and plugged it into the PS/2 port, although it is USB capable, and installed the drivers. Installing the drivers is a pain, because in order to function properly, the mouse NEEDS the drivers. Although, once installed, it gave me better customizable preformance than anyother mouse I have had to date.

So, I installed the drivers, and went to configure my new Razer mouse. Like I said above, with its customizable options, Razer makes the best mouse I have ever had.

s4.jpg

Another one of the many reasons I like this mouse, is its ability to change X and Y axis sensitivity differently. This was good for my gaming, mostly because I do not like my Y axis to be as fast as my X.

1.jpg

So I fired up Doom 3, and took the new mouse for a test run..wow is it smooth. It ran a lot nicer than my MX 300 and 510.

One of the cons I think to this mouse is only have 3 buttons. Even the older boomslang had 5. But once I changed my keyboard settings, and got used to them, I understood why Razer did this. It makes for a much simpler, faster game play.

7.jpg

Another PRO about this mouse is the one screw holding it together. This makes for ease of taking apart and cleaning, incase of dust.

So, to sum it all up, this mouse is probably my favorite of any mice I have used to date. However, this mouse is not for everyone, it takes some getting used to, and people who like a lot of buttons should steer clear of this mouse. If you can get used to only have 3 buttons, and don't mind the cord, than this mouse is for you!!

I got a chance to test it out against an MX1000 yesterday, and I have to say, I like the Razer more. I am sure this is sort of a Biased comment, but I think the Razer is a lot smoother than the MX. Also, with more customizable features, the Razer is ahead in my book.

Pros:

Accurate, light, and small

1000 DPI

Very good price for the technology involved

Very slick Teflon pads installed

Easy to get inside the mouse. (Cleaning, modding, etc,.)

Configurable software

Less than 4 megs memory usage for Razer Control Software

True Ambidextrous design

Mouse lights up!

Cons:

Smaller than previous Razer mice

Very light - Not a problem if you are used to light mice. I prefer mine heavier personally.

Plastic click buttons. I'd love to see rubber ones. (as on the boomslang)

Only 3 buttons.

Here are a few more pictures.

14.jpg

All light up!!!!

10.jpg

Next to the Boomslang

mx300_viper_mx510_above.jpg

Next to the MX 310 and MX 500

thats a nice gaming mouse

i read somewhere that you can edit the x & y points,like in FPS's for example,you can set the left to right speed fast and the up and down speed slower,making it easier to make those hard headshots :o

The future of gaming is coming...

Razer's newest mouse, the breakthrough 1600-DPI Diamondback optical, is now available for pre-orders - shipping to begin in early November.

Razer Diamondback? Precision Gaming Mouse

Technical Specifications:

Optical engine powered by k?rna precision

1600 dpi, twice that of conventional high performance sensors

High speed motion detection, up to 40ips and 15g

Frame rate over 6400 frames per second (5.8 megapixels per second)

16 bit data path, as compared to 8 bit and 12 bit data paths used by other conventional mice

Always On Mode ? the optical sensor never powers down - provides instantaneous response at all times during gameplay

Buttons ? 7 physical buttons optimized for gaming response and independently programmable

Ultra large non-slip mouse buttons, tactile response design

Non-slip side rails and new ergonomic ambidextrous design

Zero acoustic Teflon feet for smooth motion over any surface

Gold plated USB connector for maximum conductivity

Size: 5.04" length x 2.5" width x 1.54" height

7 foot, lightweight, non-tangle cord

Award winning Razer drivers featuring On-the-Fly sensitivity adjustment

Chameleon Green and Flaming Magma/Salamander Red translucent chassis options available

Comes with custom designed Razer Diamondback Lan-Pack for storage and transport.

I believe sir, that owns yours.