ASUS A7A266 MB what CPU you have

i have a ASUS A7A266 Motherboard and im interested in getting a faster CPU because of my tax return so i want to find out whats the fastest one it will support?

Anyone else have one thats running a AMD Athlon 2100+

flash the bios and get any ATHALON XP Chip.

doesn't matter, that board will support them all.

here's the latest flash for the A7A266

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Soc...A7A266/1011.zip

install it and then pick a processor.

if you have no clue on how to flash a bios call ASUS they'll walk you right through the procedure. don't be foolish and try to do it yourself if you can't, ask for help!

1011.ZIP A7A266 ACPI BIOS 1011 final (=1010 beta 01)

INDEX.TXT INDEX

FINAL = beta Status

1011 = 1010.001

1010 = 1010.001

1009 = 1009.001

1008.B = 1008.002

1007 = 1007.002

1006 = 1006.001

1005 = 1005.006

1004 = 1004.002

1003.B = 1003.008

1003 = 1003.007

1002.B = 1002.006

1002.A = 1002.006

1002 = 1002.003

1001 = 1001.008

1011.zip is the latest. go get it

yea I'm running a athlon 1.4 thunderbird. If you want to get an XP chip, then you gotta flash the bios to any bios above 1007. But I'd go with 1010 which I believe is there latest one out. 1011 i think was actually released earlier than 1010. You shouldn't have any problems with your board after you flahs to a newer bios.

A7A266 reads wrong temps :) But anyway, i have an athlon xp 1700+ on it, and the newest BIOS supports 2100+ as xStainDx stated above. I have had troubles updating my BIOS though..ASUS's ftp sites are always messed up

thanks for your help!

your statment was useful ..

but i have done a flash of my bios before not to hard

but now i just prefer to use ASUSUpdate V3.29.05

does everything i need it to and i dont have to use floppy disk to run it.

if your unaware of it then i suggest getting it its very simple just download the newest bios from the ftp website NOT USA

(doesnt work) i used to german one it shouldnt matter.

but anyways after that you reboot and go into your bios set everything to default. Save exit and reboot

then start up and well for me i reboot again and change the bios boot to cdrom and then floppy.

And change some other settings IE password and things if you need to..

anyways thanks for letting me know that the board will support the fastest CPU out might just wait for the next build to come out

and go from there

thats great i'm glad you know how to use ASUS update, NOW USE IT! lol

i've posted your latest bios that supports all of the latest Athalon XP Chips. version 1011. just download the zip file in my above post, flash it, restart your pc and then go find the proc you want. you don't need to wait, its already availble, just click above!

Originally posted by generalnewbie

i just prefer to use ASUSUpdate V3.29.05

does everything i need it to and i dont have to use floppy disk to run it.

i have heard of so many cases of this killing boards

DO NOT DO IT!

Flash in DOS, its much safer :D

Originally posted by andrewfee

i have heard of so many cases of this killing boards

DO NOT DO IT!

Flash in DOS, its much safer :D

first off, i've done the ASUS update myself about 65 million times, i've never had 1 problem, and secondly most people don't have DOS anymore and USE NTFS FIle Systems (hence 2000 and XP) and you can't use DOS for anything, asus update is a great app and it works well. nothing to worry about, and its very convinient.

I thought Asus A7A 266 boards only took AthlonXPs if they were revision 2 or higher. Have a look at the right hand side of your your PCi slots for the revision number.

all the boards that can be bought now I believe are revision 1.04. Revision 1.03 was out back last summer in june since that's the board number I have. If you just bought an A7A266 then I wouldn't worry.

thank you faction, thats very nice of you to mention. :)

but you're still cooler, for now, i'll catch your post count eventually ;) then we'll see who is cool :p