Seen Final XP Build in shops?

I looked in our local 'PC WORLD' today where they were selling 'e-machines' with XP preinstalled (Home Edition). I had a quick look and happened to look at 'winver' to my supprise the shipping XP has this information in the 'About Windows' window :-

Microsoft ® Windows

Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpclient.010817-1148)

So the shipping XP currentley has that build number, i would have thought that it would have been neatened back to (Build 2600) only, but obviousley not. [:)]

This WAS the version that was being sold with the PC btw, it wasent some store test, they were taking the things out of the box's and setting them up while i was there, XP had the OEM logo's in the usual places (including on on the 'Welcome to Microsoft Windows' screen at first boot) how many times do you need to be told what your PC Brand is? [;)] I mean if you forget you could always look on the PC case.... i hate it when they go OTT with oem brandings... anyway.....

Any thoughts? :)

I saw the same Information down at CompUSA in my area.

As far as the OEM Logos, Its a retail thingy. I think they call it Branding to the Brain :D or Brainwash :p

But wont that mean that people buying PC's with it now will have this wierd build number, and people buying it seperate will get a normal build number? Hmm could cause some confusion.

I wonder if retailer's dare sell a PC box with XP pre-installed with 64mb :) We will see, that would be a crime :s

Rob, it dont matter if you have a "weird" or "normal" build number. How many times do you look at it. ooooh yes ill turn on my computer and look at the build number, oooh i have a normal one, yay or :( i have a weird one. I think not mate.

To the majority of users they wont know or care what it means, as long as there is no major change in the OS nobody will care.

Originally posted by Robert_Hague

I wonder if retailer's dare sell a PC box with XP pre-installed with 64mb :) We will see, that would be a crime :s

No way! Why would they do that when it costs them hardly anything?

I was in PC WORLD today and checked this out myself. This is the same as the 1 im using except mine is PRO version.

Microsoft REALLY have been beaten on thier Activation crap then?

Well at least for now.

SP1 anyone????

devilsown was always meant to be the final version, not some hacked beta crap. It is possible that the RETAIL version will have a different number or be missing all that cryptic nonsense because OEM was the gold disk handed to the OEM. The RETAIL disks will have been improved slightly [new drivers I've heard!].

New's Byte

Flock's of people interested in PC's running XP, but not actually buying any.

Spokesman from PC WORLD said today "I cant understand it, they seem more interested in the build number, then they leave, i can assure you it is the final product and you should all take the plundge and buy while its hot."

:D

Sorry i can just see puzzled store owner's wondering why ppl keep typing 'winver' in XP, and then leaving the store. :) lol

New's Byte

Young timmy, 9 year old, sabotages entire PC display. In high-street chain

Yesterday a 9 year old boy took out 30 store display computers by deleting the 'WPA.DBL' file needed for windows activation, staff were horrified to learn of this sabotage when they switched on the PC's next day to find they all displayed the 'Please activate windows' message. Frantic staff tried to re-activate the computers as fast as they could, while unhappy shoper's waited to see a taste of the new OS, many went home disapointed.

:D sorry i was just thinking out loud ;)

Then there is the one where he unregister's the activation dll with a simple command line, meaning staff then have to reinstall the OS's on all 30 PC's to get them to work again. :)

Seems there are more problems for store's then consumers as well ;)

Yesterday a 9 year old boy took out 30 store display computers by deleting the 'WPA.DBL' file needed for windows activation, staff were horrified to learn of this sabotage when they switched on the PC's next day to find they all displayed the 'Please activate windows' message.
LOL!!!
Spokesman from PC WORLD said today "I cant understand it, they seem more interested in the build number, then they leave, i can assure you it is the final product and you should all take the plundge and buy while its hot."

LMAO!

Oh, it's just non stop laughs. Time for me to go in, delete the file and then play the old innocent... what does the recycle bin do line. :D