[CRICKET] ICC Champions Trophy

I'll lay it out plain & simple so that the ignorant n00bies dont get a chance to troll:

Cricket is a Gentleman's sport, its not pure power or aggression. The game relies more on patience and talent (hence it is not popular in some parts of the world). Anyway I dont know the history too well but it originated from England more than 130 years ago, so no its not a copy of Baseball, instead Baseball is a Cricket rip-off. Cricket is also the second most popular sport in the world. Not just India, people from Pakistan, Srilanka, Bangladesh, UAE, Kenya, West Indies, South Africa, Zimbabwe etc., also follow it closely. It's also the national sport of Australia. So it has a quite a large fan following spread across the globe. There are two versions of Cricket: One-day & Test. One-day as the name suggests lasts one day or 8 hours to be exact where as a Test last 5 days with about 7 hours per day. Now this is a game that requires a lot of your time and yet it is almost as popular as a 90 minute sport. :blink: Says a lot about the game. :shifty: The globalisation of Cricket and introduction of new formats (Twenty20) will slowly and surely make it the most popular sport soon.

Moving on to the ICC Champions Trophy, anybody here following it ? Quaterfinals starting this Thursday. :devil:

Thursday: Australia v New Zealand

Friday: England v Srilanka

Saturday: West Indies v South Africa

Sunday: India v Pakistan

What are your picks ? :cool:

lol, yes the tickets have been sold out like 6 months ago.

My picks:

Australia

England

South Africa

India

Yeah they have,

thankfully I have got mine for India - Pakistan :D

Hopefully weather holds and it should be a great game :)

Hopefully weather holds and it should be a great game :)

Hey, do you think the tournament should have been scheduled a little later cause thats what my cousin in London keeps saying to me. :dontgetit:

Hey, do you think the tournament should have been scheduled a little later cause thats what my cousin in London keeps saying to me. :dontgetit:

Nah i dont think so. The reason I think they scheduled it for this was because every other time, all the countries were playing and this is the only time when all the teams were available.

Theres nothing much you can do about the weather. Look at the summer we had this year :wacko:

y do teams like USA, kenya and the like play when they noe they are gonna be whopped, they can jus play 4 a minoows champions trophy......y isnt Canada there theyre much betta then USA( even though davidson from aus iz dere onli good playa) :no: :pinch:

I'll lay it out plain & simple so that the ignorant n00bies dont get a chance to troll:

Cricket is a Gentleman's sport, its not pure power or aggression. The game relies more on patience and talent (hence it is not popular in some parts of the world). Anyway I dont know the history too well but it originated from England more than 130 years ago, so no its not a copy of Baseball, instead Baseball is a Cricket rip-off. Cricket is also the second most popular sport in the world. Not just India, people from Pakistan, Srilanka, Bangladesh, UAE, Kenya, West Indies, South Africa, Zimbabwe etc., also follow it closely. It's also the national sport of Australia. So it has a quite a large fan following spread across the globe. There are two versions of Cricket: One-day & Test. One-day as the name suggests lasts one day or 8 hours to be exact where as a Test last 5 days with about 7 hours per day. Now this is a game that requires a lot of your time and yet it is almost as popular as a 90 minute sport. :blink: Says a lot about the game. :shifty: The globalisation of Cricket and introduction of new formats (Twenty20) will slowly and surely make it the most popular sport soon.

Moving on to the ICC Champions Trophy, anybody here following it ? Quaterfinals starting this Thursday. :devil:

Thursday: Australia v New Zealand

Friday: England v Srilanka

Saturday: West Indies v South Africa

Sunday: India v Pakistan

What are your picks ? :cool:

It is thought to have originated in the 1300s or so. The first recorded match took place in the mid 1700s. FYI...baseball started in the early 1800s, so yeah...it probably took some ideas from Cricket. Let's face it...people have been hitting round things with sticks for a loooong time. It's just natural. Thought I'd do a little reading since I know little about the sport.

But a gentleman's sport? Isn't that an oxymoron? :p

It is thought to have originated in the 1300s or so.  The first recorded match took place in the mid 1700s.  FYI...baseball started in the early 1800s, so yeah...it probably took some ideas from Cricket.  Let's face it...people have been hitting round things with sticks for a loooong time.  It's just natural.  Thought I'd do a little reading since I know little about the sport.

But a gentleman's sport?  Isn't that an oxymoron?  :p

Thanks for more accurate info than mine. ;)

Gentlemen's sport because more emphasis is laid on timing and it looks most of the time elegant, more like a stylish sport which.

a1kashur, good point about SL (Y)

Australia brushed aside New Zealand today as expected. Australia first into Semifinal, will play the winner of South Africa v West Indies clash. Srilanka v England tomorrow (Friday).

Thanks for more accurate info than mine. ;)

Gentlemen's sport because more emphasis is laid on timing and it looks most of the time elegant, more like a stylish sport which.

a1kashur, good point about SL (Y)

Australia brushed aside New Zealand today as expected. Australia first into Semifinal, will play the winner of South Africa v West Indies clash. Srilanka v England tomorrow (Friday).

Oh no. Thanks google. Like I said, I knew nothing about the "gentlemans's sport", so I did some reading :)

Oh no. Thanks google. Like I said, I knew nothing about the "gentlemans's sport", so I did some reading :)

Glad you are open minded. (Y)

England in trouble against Srilanka, need to put up a score of atleast 230-240. :unsure:

I dont like the venue.. whole event is distrubed by the rain & shsh. ICC should have organized the event else where :(. Plus I think they should have kept 2 rounds in each pool it would have been more exciting. Just 3 teams in a pool look a bit boring & unfortunate.

I dont like the venue.. whole event is distrubed by the rain & shsh. ICC should have organized the event else wher:(:(Plus I think they should have kept 2 rounds in each pool it would have been more exciting.b> Just 3 teams in a pool look a bit boring & unfortunate.

If they had 2 rounds in each pool it would almost be like World Cup. This tournament actually started as mini World Cup and later named as ICC Champions Trophy.

Srilanka were 95/5, they would have lost anyway. Srilanka gave away the match when they dropped Flintoff when he was on 1 and after the miss went on to make 104. :blinkCatches win Matchesi>:yes:s: