optimising a computer for a partially sighted user

my brother is partially sighted, so i've been handling his i.t. stuff for him for nearly a year now.

the computer itself: a laptop is useful to take notes, as typed script is often easier to read than handwriting. a high-contrast screen helps. get one with a good battery too.

other kit: another, larger monitor can't hurt. it'll size everything up with the help of zoomtext (see below) and normally they have higher contrast than the laptop screen.

ie: go to tools, internet options, accessibility and tick the top three boxes. play around with them, see which combination works best for you. basically, they make i.e. ignore all custom fonts, font sizes, styles and background colours.

zoomtext: this is the market leader, no bones about it. http://www.aisquared.com/index.htm is the company. now, this is a very expensive piece of software, but what you actually buy is a lifetime license, so you'll get any new updates free. this does reverse video, way way way bigger writing, higher contrast, a better screen reader, anything you could want.

help for school:http://www.adeptscience.co.uk/products/mathsim/mathtype/ lets you type maths symbols in a normal document, much easier for maths prep than doing it by hand, it's better for the teacher too.

i might add to this later, but if i've helped anybody, please say.

• 1 month later...

Im not partially sighted but i really think its a good thing for u to post this. I hope it will help people! (Y) good job mate.

im like 2 months late with a reply but i just am happy to see such things :) good job

dood , you have replenished my faith in good work by Neowin`ers.

spot on dood :yes:

I have a few documents regarding this very issue somewhere as soon as i can find them and gleam useful info i shall add to it here

keep up the good work :rofl: