NHL Lockout Begins

The NHL board of governors has given unanimous support to a player lockout, putting the upcoming hockey season in jeopardy.

Just watching the Gary Bettman press conference now. Sad to see the NHL being shutdown. We'll see how long it goes for.

News Source

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/20...bour040914.html

Edited by [NFC]Wave

It is sad that it comes to a lockout. I remember watching a few games last year and there were hardly any people in the stands! What kind of nerve do they have to let something like this happen? They are really hurting the fans. Instead of going on strike (lockout) why don't they promote the sport more and generate better interest in the game? That is what the fans want; not a bunch of overpaid people complaining about being underpaid.

Kinda sad. I'm not sure how it will all work out.

I think a Salary cap with a "Larry Bird" exception for one or maybe two players might be a good way to go.

I feel bad that a Salary cap is needed, but I do understand why the owners want one so bad. It helps to know what your maximum exposure would be.

If you simply decide as an owner that you don't want to pay beyond a certain amount, and other owners do something similar, you risk lawsuits for "Collusion" from the players. So perhaps the best way to do it is a hard-cap with no signing bonuses, only one or two "Larry Bird" exceptions to help you keep home-grown stars in your city.

At least that's how I feel about it.

NOOOO This is the ONLY sport that I follow closely... I mean, I watch the NFL, but not as much as this.

This sucks.

I sure hope it gets resolved...

this sucks man. like, you don't think of this sport filled with all the cocky ###### that the nba and nfl has. these hockey players appear to be nice, hardworking, and honest. always willing to shake a competitors hand when it's all over, no matter how rough it was during the game. i really hope they can come to an agreement. they want to play hockey, we want to watch hockey, how can they let $$$ come between the two? when the sport is already underappreciated as it is, these strikes aren't making it any more popular.

Mark my words: this will ruin the league if they do not open before November or December.

Agreed. The NHL is one of two things...."crazy in love" fans, or 'I could care less" fans. Unfortunately...the more is in the latter.

^ yeah. It really is a pity.

But look at how many ppl tuned in for international hockey (World Cup). When Canada won last night we had ppl driving around town until late in the evening blasting their horns and everything. Hockey is not dead, but it sure as hell needs assistance.

Wave' date='Sep 15 2004, 16:08'] ^ yeah. It really is a pity.

But look at how many ppl tuned in for international hockey (World Cup). When Canada won last night we had ppl driving around town until late in the evening blasting their horns and everything. Hockey is not dead, but it sure as hell needs assistance.

IN Canada, I believe Hockey is life....the problem, a majority of the teams in the NHL is in the US...That's always confused me... If the NHL wants more of a fan base, they need more Canadian Teams.

The problem is simple : Professional hockey is no longer a game but it became a business, and business means $$$$. And again the $$$ are the ones WE pay. Players want their part of the pot of gold. I don't blame them. The trouble is that owners wants big money for their investments on behalf of players. Some of the best players get paid too much, but it is the owners that are paying them. No player worth 6 to 11 millions $ a year. Stop giving impossible salary, low down price of tickets and share the dividends with the most valuable players, just as in any well going business. You won't see third line players get millions as first line stars. You want big money, deliver the goods. There is the key to all this bs.

uhh, nba, nfl, and mlb do... :p

(i *think* all them have caps)

I meant for hockey. (BTW, MLB does not have a cap - just a luxury tax, I believe)

The NFL setup is a horrible joke - the players were sold out by Upshaw. :angry:

But I think a salary cap with one or two "Larry Bird" exceptions to keep players in town if they want to stay, would be good in Hockey too.

The biggest thing may be that they need a good TV/Radio package to help them be competitive.

Mark my words: this will ruin the league if they do not open before November or December.

This has happened many times before and the hardcore fans alway come back. The NHL knows this and that's the reason they don't care. The NHL isn't in such a great financial state right now, though so this is bad timing.

This has happened many times before and the hardcore fans alway come back. The NHL knows this and that's the reason they don't care. The NHL isn't in such a great financial state right now, though so this is bad timing.

They said it would ruin baseball, but it hasn't. Fans just keep coming back like lemmings. :(