VB Program to access data from PHP webserver

Question

I need some advice on writing a VB program. Here?s what I want it to do:

I want to write a VB program that can connect to my web server (running Apache and PHP) retrieve data and present it. I?m not trying to make a web browser but a small widget if you will. Basically, I can get the PHP pages to connect to a mySQL DB and present information and that is what I want my VB program to do.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

5 answers to this question

You can easily get the program to connect to the program without needing to use the web server. You can connect directly to the MySQL DB. Either there should be some built in DB drivers for it or there are some on the MySQL site.

Many thanks but there is an additional issue. People who use my client VB tool will need to be authenticated. At the moment they can access the site and it asks them for a user name and password. The PHP pages then looks in to the DB to verify their ID and presents the pages to them. I want my client app to do something similar.

Basically, I want my client VB app to load the latest news from my site and show a list of online users (something my PHP pages already do) to members who are authenticated.

If the client is being used remotely then kjordan2001's suggestion could be difficult to implement as most host's disallow remote MySQL authentication.

You can use php so the app calls a script with certain paremeters and the script returns the result in plain text. An app I made ( here: http://www.blueloose.com/simple/uploads/ap...luelooseSA.exe ) does a sort of similar thing.

Edit: corrected url

Yes, thank you, that's the kind on thing I am after.

Lets say the my users need to access www.mysite.com/news.php

As soon as you acceess it, it asks you to login. Once you log in, it sets cookies and then the page reloads it'self, pulling your cookies to authnticate you and show the news.

This is what I want the program to do but is it possible to allow you to be authenticated?