Can I use XP as a web server?

Originally posted by Rudy

Yes just install IIS (u'll need ur WinXP CD though)

I wouldn't be installing IIS now, with all the all the worms around... code red, nimda. There could easily be more new worms spead and IIS is vulnerable.

according to windowsxp.nu . There are several versions of Windows XP .

This release will come in more flavors!

Windows XP Personal For home users, Personalized Welcome Screen, fast user switching

Windows XP Professional

Windows XP Professional 64bit

For corporate users. 2 processors, 4GB memory

Windows .NET Server

Windows .NET Server 64 bit

Small and medium server solutions: Supports 2 processors, 4GB memory.

Note: win2k Advanced server supports 4 processors!

Terminal Server only in Admin mode!

Windows .NETAdvanced Server

Windows .NET Server 64 bit

Business Critical Servers: Supports 8 processors, 8 GB memory, 2 node Clustering, 32 node Network Load balancing

Terminal Server application mode

Windows .NET Data center Server 32 bit (I assume)

Windows .NET Data center Server 64bit

Mission critical High availability: 32 processors, 64 GB, 4 node clustering, 32 node Network Load Balancing, Winsock Direct

Windows XP Embedded For PDA, and Thin Clients (WBT)

Windows .NET Webserver Stripped down server for webserver use only

Windows .NET Small Business Server (I assume) Multi Purpose server for small business

WEST, IIS comes with windows 2000 pro and up, and windows xp pro and up (not in home version). everyone's worried about many IIS security holes, so you may want to jsut use apache. go to www.apache.org and download apache web server for win32. it's nice, fast, and very configureable =p

i also use a little tool called dns2go (www.dns2go.com) that makes it easier for people to just type in an address such as blahblahblah.d2g.com if you haven't already registered and paid for a domain name (this is free by the way, it's a nice alternative, and you don't have to worry about yer IP changing).

there ya go :p

Ok .... here is what you do........... click start-------------->control panel-------------->add/remove programs-------------->then on the left of the window click "add/remove windows components"

and its in there IIS :D

BTW my web site is down right now cause my main puters at a friends for a lan party.

also, I use www.changeip.com to register my website. they have cooler sub-domains. rather than www.blahblah.d2g.com you can use www.blahblah.onedumb.com or www.blahblah.imastud.com or whatever.......

and i use a program called dyndns that updates my dynamic dns automatically.

Originally posted by WEST

I am running Microsoft Windows XP pro corp.Final How to me to find IIS??? How I can take advantage of it???

Don't go jumping into IIS straight away, you might want to find out if your ISP has code-red or nimda through their network.

Also, I am assuming you have fast cable access (ie. 128kbs or greater upload) otherwise it is not worthwhile.

If I were you, I'll go for Apache instead of IIS. But I've heard that Apache have some issue with Windows, I've never really try Apache out, any one having any problem with Apache?

apache_pb.gif

Originally posted by configure

If I were you, I'll go for Apache instead of IIS. But I've heard that Apache have some issue with Windows, I've never really try Apache out, any one having any problem with Apache?

apache_pb.gif

Apache...well it can't be worse than IIS, can it? :D

I don't bother installing IIS coz of code red and nimda. I'm using always on broadband connection and if I have IIS installed, probably my computer will be dead :dead:

If you use XP Pro. as a webserver, won't the amount of users at the same time be limited to 10? I think for more connections, you have to use a server version of the OS.

Ok I'm having a problem maybe someone here that has some IIS skils can help me.

I setup IIS and it works so that I can view the site locally...but it doesn't allow users from the outside of my network to view the site.

I have also setup and FTP. This one allows users of the outside to view it.

I'm using a cable modem on my machine and the IP is http://24.187.10.112

Can someone please help me out. I have looked at the settings and it seems to say that all users can see this site. I'm using the default site.

Then I don't think the problem is from your web-server daemon. It might be something related to firewall or something that might have refusing incoming connection on port 80.