Some Linux questions

Found it and got it fixed. :)

I have another one. I need to do some FTP work, but I can't find any FTP packages installed anywhere. And when I go to the YaST control panel, then click Install and Remove Software; it doesn't really help any. :(

I have a linux question! I now got fedora ready to install. I was wondering is there anyway to get it installed on my external hdd? I understand if there isn't but it is worth asking. The Ex HHD is USB so obviously there probably arn't any drivers but heck I decided to ask anyway. Thanks guys.

I need to do some FTP work, but I can't find any FTP packages installed anywhere. And when I go to the YaST control panel, then click Install and Remove Software; it doesn't really help any. :(

Try gftp. It is installed by default on my Fedora, and may be included in the SUSE install, as well.

I now got fedora ready to install. I was wondering is there anyway to get it installed on my external hdd?
Yes. If your BIOS can recognize and/or boot from it, it should be no problem. You might even be able to have GRUB on your regular disk access the external drive. I haven't done this before, though, so specific answers will need to come from google or from someone with experience.
Also it won't play any CD's correctly. The program comes up but no sound comes out. My sound works fine in other programs though. :unsure:
Which program(s) do work, and which ones don't? Also, check out your audio mixer and make sure that your CD audio is turned up (some apps may be set to play audio through the CD's digital data, and some through the audio output). Also, make sure that your CD player has the audio cable connected from it to your sound card.

Try gftp. It is installed by default on my Fedora, and may be included in the SUSE install, as well.

Which program(s) do work, and which ones don't? Also, check out your audio mixer and make sure that your CD audio is turned up (some apps may be set to play audio through the CD's digital data, and some through the audio output). Also, make sure that your CD player has the audio cable connected from it to your sound card.

I will look for that, I think I ran into it while I had Fedora.

And so far, Konqueror is working fine, the media player is working OK (but the sound is realllllllllllllly low - but it is there), Kopete works (but it doesn't remember passwords), KSnapshot works fine.

But the Patch CD update in YaST fails with an error message of

error Attach point: /var/lib/YaST2/you/mnt

And yes I have the CD in the drive. I can tell that it is working the CD drive OK because when I use the program KsCD to (try to, anyway) play music CD's, the CD drive light comes on (and I can feel the vibration of the drive in my case) but there is no sound. So KsCD is not working either.

How about your audio mixer's slider settings?

And the cable?

Either of these can cause problems. Also, sorry if you have already checked these... It is just that you haven't said if these were set properly, or present. :unsure:

Mark - I can seem to be able to boot from USB devices in my bios Legacy is turned on but I only have these chioces to boot from:

CD/DVD Drive

Floppy

Main HDD

Left Bay

Right Bay

Boot to LAN

Thanks

How about your audio mixer's slider settings?

And the cable?

Either of these can cause problems. Also, sorry if you have already checked these... It is just that you haven't said if these were set properly, or present. :unsure:

The cable must be fine; because I can get some sound out of it. And it worked perfectly fine just a week or two ago... Next time I open my case again I will check to see if it may be loose, just to be sure.

The audio mixer just brings up one slider, which I have tried setting at anywhere between 50 and 100. Still no luck there. :(