Can't use Visual styles?

Today when i turned on my computer.. i noticed that my Vis wasnt on so i went to display properties and tried to put my vis on again, but then i got this error:

---------------------------

Error Loading Visual Styles

The visual styles could not be loaded because the file failed to load.

Details:

OK

And i get that no matter what i choose.. the only one i can have is the classic. windows xp luna and silver etc dont work either...

I dont remember uninstalling/installing anything so i dont think that could be it.. any ideas?

I tried what you just said with the net start themes and a dos prompt came up then disappeared fast, so i tried selecting a vis theme and got the error message again.

When i go Start >> Run >> cmd then type net start themes it says

The requested service has already been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

When i type NET HELPMSG 2182, it says
The requested service has already been started.

EXPLANATION

You tried to start a service that is already running.

ACTION

To display a list of active services, type:

NET START

Any help? :(

I had the same problems when patching my uxtheme.dll with the neowin patcher, downloaded a pre-patched from a site (someone knows the adress?), replaced with replacer - done.

Is the preview still looking like windows classic - even though you have loaded a new? Then do what I did.

OK, kinda late reply here but ived tried everything, replacing manually with replacer etc and nothing.

Here is clarification just in case:

OK, i go to display, then appeareance.. in the first drop down list i choose another vs, and a second after i choose it i get the error i show in first post, and the preview still is on the classic one.

Also, if i chose a different color scheme for the classic , it shows in preview, but when i press Apply (or OK) it seems to be working, but then i get the crashed app thingy with the error report for "Run DLL as an App" and then Display properties window closes and nothing is different..

i tried using SFC /scannow and it did find some stuff but didnt help..

Noone??

OK well.. i just found out that my friend uninstalled StyleXP and that is when it started happening.. I don't remember installing StyleXP in the first place but...

Maybe that can help?

OK, kinda late reply here but ived tried everything, replacing manually with replacer etc and nothing.

I did, as I said... I guess I will try again, can't right now though. :pinch: Progress on this later.

In the meantime, all other ideas are welcome!

im getting that same message but i've just recently installed SP2 and tried using the uxtheme patch but it screwed it up and now i only get windows classic and get that message when i try something else