where do i get started?

Question

hi, im 15, love computers, and hope to have a career in them. As i do more and more advanced things

i find myself running into the problem of "code"

id like to start t learn this, but have no experience whatsoever

what pog/ site should i start with? :no:

8 answers to this question

If you feel that you pick up programming well at the age of 15, I'd say you have a gigantic leap over everyone else in the field. I learned VERY BASIC programming between the ages of 14 to 18. Stuff I couldn't really use for that broad of application. And I found it very hard to learn at the time for some reason. Now I'm 22, and I've taken a hand full of programming corses and I feel quite confident in my abilities to learn new languages and impliment things rather quickly (or rapidly as the industry puts it). I think my brain has developed since I was 18 to handle programming better, beleive it or not you're still growing and so is the capabilities of your brain. So the fact that you are eager to learn, and wanting to invest some time in the practice is a good sign that you are a bright young individual. But don't get terribly frusterated if you don't "get it" yet, and try to revisit programming later in life if you get frusterated to the point where you don't want to deal with it anymore.

Now, to answer your question: I actually would not recommend vb.net to start out with. In fact, I'd start at the very basics of C programming. Just because w/ vb or vb.net you will have to learn a lot of crap that doesn't seem very practicle to other languages (I do program in VB, btw). I wouldn't even attack C++ yet, just basic C. Also you can download many different C compilers, i would recommend gcc, or something from borland. Check out http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml . The reason I say to concern yourself with C before advancing to another programming language is that C concerns you with the very elementary parts of any programming language. You will learn about different data types and data type compatabilities like intergers, floating point numbers, characters, strings and structures (that is a compound of any number of your basic types). Then you need to get a grasp of conditional statements and boolean/logic operators, and Looping. Once you get flow control down, you can get into function development to abstract your code to a reusable level. All of these things carry over into every other programming language.

I suggest you go out and get yourself a book, and not rely on any web pages to teach you. Maybe it is just me, but I learn better from a book then flipping back and forth from a web page to my coding window. Although forums like this and others around the net are extremely valuable!!

Good luck!

-Nic

I'm still a noob to this also but I do have a few things to say.

First off ask yourself "What do I want to program for? Is is for a job at a programming company or is it to make apps yourself and use."

Next I would suggest to start with something easy. My son is 12 and he's learning on a program called Leopard. It's really really simple. He started on leopard and was making programs in 1/2 hour.

Next thing is to remember no matter how hard it gets, always stick with it and you can go far.

Asking about how to get started will bring in all kinds of opinions. People will suggest C++ or VB maybe even basiq or java but always remember to pick the one that fits you best.