Networking a house with DSL

Ok, in the coming months, I shall be getting ADSL for my student house. So, we want to share this ADSL connection throughout the house for 4 computers.

There will be a Windows 2000 server computer sharing out the internet to 4 PCs Using Windows XP on a 100mbit network hub.....

Is this possible to share out the ADSL connection like this, and how easy is it to set up? Will all the computers have full access, like being able to play Counter-Strike online from any PC etc?

I kinda need to know this asap.

Cheers!

-Obraxis

i had ADSL last year, 2 pcs, hub.

However I did not have server, neither i needed it.

Setup was nothing more this setting one computer up for ADSL, repeat for second pc :)

All the games worked great and the connection was shared automatically. I belive it automatically assigned 2 different IP addresses to each PC.

I have no idea if its the same for 4 or more pcs.. but if it is - do you really need a server ???

many someone else can answer (come think of it, i guess it was because my provider did allow connection sharing for up to 3 pcs... with automatic ip... i donno - check with your future provider)

peace

Yes. It is pretty much that easy.

Basically, you need to get a computer with modem attached, one this happens you just need to turn on Internet Connection Sharing and you should be ok.

I would setup your Gateway PC with the IP address of 192.168.0.1 and then have all the other computers in the house set so they contact this one has default gateway and DNS.

Now, If you get a DSL Router with 4 ports, it might even be better. You will have a router that masquerades an IP address and then you won't have to worry about setting up the other computers to hit the one connected with the modem.

In other words, you do seem to have the right idea and you are heading in the right direction. Just get use to getting into the Network Properties and playing around.

You might want to look into spending the cash and buying the Netgear RT314 DSL Router. (pulling that off the top of my head, because I had bought one for some friends). They say it works great!!! Sounds like you have a total of 5 computers though (including the W2K server) so you might want to get the 318 (8 port). This will work great if you have anyone else come over that wants to play.

CS will work just fine and all other games will work. I have a cheesy 512k ADSL connection and I can get 6 people playing CS with pings sub-80. Pretty cool. Just make sure they turn off Kazaa when you are playing.