Saved 1.5 Seconds Off My Boot Time

I got this tweak off a site like that zedaxax posted. I saw it verified it on this site...

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Other_Artic...E_QuickBoot.htm

It worked for me!

Disable auto detection for empty IDE slots

Another quick trick for a faster boot up is to disable the auto detection that Windows XP uses to determine if there are IDE devices present in any of the IDE slots on the motherboard. More specifically, disable this feature on any empty slots to prevent the operating system wasting time and resources checking them.

Right click on 'my computer' and select 'properties.' Go to the 'hardware' tab and select 'device manager' to open the device management window.

Expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' and highlight the 'primary IDE channel.' Right click the highlighted entry and select 'properties.' Go to the 'advanced settings' tab.

If either IDE slot on the controller is empty, the 'device type' dropdown box will be not grayed out. Set it to 'none' to disable auto detection of IDE devices on that particular slot.

Repeat the above steps for the 'secondary IDE controller.'

Note that if you wish to add a new IDE device, you will have to reset the 'device type' setting to 'autodetect' in order for Windows to use the new drive.

agreed- i thought that this was an oldie

you see the difference with this one immediatly when you get the "black screen with xp logo plus timer in bottom"

(unless you use the no GUIboot tweak)

the timer runs twice instead of.................... ........................ ........................................................................

I can tell by the screen that searches for IDE Controllers. It zips through that part instantly.

Also, I have "StatBar.exe" in my startup folder and it shows me the seconds my machine took to boot and is desktop ready.

The battery on my wrist watch is out...so I can't tell that way. LOL

• 3 weeks later...
Expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' and highlight the 'primary IDE channel.' Right click the highlighted entry and select 'properties.' Go to the 'advanced settings' tab.

If either IDE slot on the controller is empty, the 'device type' dropdown box will be not grayed out. Set it to 'none' to disable auto detection of IDE devices on that particular slot.

For the primary One, its grayed out when it says auto detect on Device 0. On Device 1, i can use the drop down menu to select None on Device type.

Is that the right one?

Wha about also disabling the same IDE Channel in the BIOS?

584618786[/snapback]

Yes that can also shave a second off boot time as well. Also for your hard drive you can set it to manual and set all the parameters. For your optical drive change it to CD-ROM/DVD-ROM if your BIOS has that option, otherwise leave it on auto. It's possible to change it to none and windows will still detect it however when you go to boot off a CD it won't see any CD Drives.

nFHQ|MaTrIx, this depends on the board but yes some computers take considerably longer to boot with auto on.

Also if you're using nForce IDE Drivers you will not have this option so don't bother trying to look for it.

Programmable I/O (PIO) uses port I/O to transfer data to and from the drive. This method uses the processor continuously for the exchange.

Direct Memory Access uses the disk controller to move data directly to memory without tying up the processor.