Who wants to help make a game?

Question

Ok folks, I'm working on a game.

I'm dead serious about this.

It's going to be a new MMOG, but unlike Evercrack or Ultima Offline it will be 100% dynamic (using technology based loosely on MUDs and MOOs). No more stagnant economy, or level dichotomy. No more waiting 6 months for new areas to open up. No more paying for a new expansion once a year.

I need a team of dedicated (and slightly insane) individuals.

I need programmers, artists, level designers, game designers, and of course testers (alpha testers for now, there will be an open beta later of course!) of all varieties.

This is an exciting possibility. Am I crazy? Entirely possible. But at the very least we're gonna give this thing our best shot.

Imagine a game universe where things change continually. New construction happens on a regular basis - daily or weekly new areas will open up.

Imagine having ALL the game players online whenever they want to be. No more "pick a server near you".

Imagine being able to make permanent changes to the game world. You set off a bomb, it blows up a building... the building stays blown up until someone fixes it.

Current direction of the game:

- One persistent universe. Yes, there will be multiple servers. But everyone is on all at once. The servers will represent different virtual aspects of the game world. Some servers will run NPC's exclusively, some will run geography (dungeons, etc.), some will provide other functionality.

- Graphics will be reminiscent of Baldur's Gate or DiZablo. 2D sprites with a 3D top-down isometric style.

- Game style is likely to be traditional swords-n-sorcery, although we might move it towards a more Final Fantasy-esque "steam powered" world. Not 100% sure yet, of course.

- Development language is pure Java. Not crapplet Java but real 100% honest-to-god-this-is-a-kickass-language Java.

Additional questions or comments? Direct 'em my way.

gurm42@Hotmail.com (mail and MSN messenger)

gurm42 (AIM and Yahoo messenger)

453460 (ICQ)

- Gurm

Ok, to reiterate:

The IRC Channel is:

#burningdesigns on Dalnet

The Forum is:

http://pub34.ezboard.com/bburningdesigns

and the Web Site is:

http://www.burningdesigns.com

--------------

It's MEETING TIME. Get on either the forum or the chat line ASAP, so we can figure out the appropriate time. I'll be monitoring both all day, so we can get as many people as possible talking today. I know we have some people on the other side of the planet, and some students with classes to attend. But we're gonna make a big push today and tomorrow to get everyone talking... and then working!

Eventually we'll have the forum on the web site proper (set it up before I had the site donated, *shrug*), and the chat line will be part of the game client.

But we all have to get on the same page first. It is, as I post this, 0828 hours Eastern Standard Time. I'll be online most of the day - message me, or come to one of the above areas. We need to get it together, folks.

- Gurm

Here's something to consider once you get it going. Consider changing your email to something other then nationally known free email services because it doesn't sound so professional.. You know what I mean? Oh yeah, include me in on the alpha/beta testing. my email is longnguyen88@hotmail.com

It's easier to elicit a response from me if you contact me directly. Besides which, by the time we get to testing, gumboot will have the authority to allow you to do so. ;)

- Gurm

Yes you are very crazy, seeing as most ppl that make games of this size and magnitude from scratch (correct me if im wrong) are made by companies paying large amounts of people and take years to make.

I dont know Java but I do know C/C++ and I too had that idea but realized its not that simple. Maybe youd like to merge ideas from your game to mine. Ive already got an engine (Q2) that I am modifying but the game play aspects are still in the works. Coders are a useful comodity (spelling?) but with a few more ppl my idea can go farther in a shorter period of time.

"Luke, join the dark side"

the url to my site is in my signature

Originally posted by Gumboot

He wants to add new kinds of items and objects on the fly (ie. while the game is running). While this can be done in C++, it usually requires some form of scripting language; most of which are very slow. Using Java is much easier because it can be used as the main language and the scripting language (less hassles). Understand?

Personally, I prefer C#. But's that just me :p

Yeah Gumboot, I guess you shoot right, recently I've taken a seminat at college regarding C#, and the thing that impressed me was the fact you can dinamically add classes while the program run... so I think it would be faster than Java, because of the pseudo compiler thing... either way, it has to be study from scratch! Maybe you should try to look at it!

Yeah Gumboot, I guess you shoot right, recently I've taken a seminat at college regarding C#, and the thing that impressed me was the fact you can dinamically add classes while the program run...
Yes that's a very neat feature. (Of course, you can do it in Java too).
so I think it would be faster than Java, because of the pseudo compiler thing...

Actually, I have no idea whether C# is faster than Java or not. I guess it depends on the things you are trying to do.

either way, it has to be study from scratch! Maybe you should try to look at it!
Err... I'm not sure what you mean here. :ermm:
Yes you are very crazy, seeing as most ppl that make games of this size and magnitude from scratch (correct me if im wrong) are made by companies paying large amounts of people and take years to make.

Not me! Gurm's the crazy one! :D

I dont know Java but I do know C/C++ and I too had that idea but realized its not that simple. Maybe youd like to merge ideas from your game to mine. Ive already got an engine (Q2) that I am modifying but the game play aspects are still in the works. Coders are a useful comodity (spelling?) but with a few more ppl my idea can go farther in a shorter period of time.

I know exactly how hard it is. Very very hard. But I figure, what the hell... it's not like my time is worth anything! :p You never know, I might even learn something. :)

Good Idea Gurm.

I've wanted to make a game myself except I don't know how.

I'd like to be a tester if you ever upload the game to the web....

C# is a brilliant language. It is also much faster than java. I was using it in visual studio for a while until I ran out of disk space so I uninstalled it. Now I've got bigger hard disk but i've somehow managed to get a huge scratch down the VS.Net (Beta 2) disk. Won't install anymore. It is so annoying.

By the way, if anyone wants to write C# but can't afford visual studio, use Shark Develop. It's not as ready as VS.Net but it's still good, lightweight and free.

Originally posted by aisoku  

sounds like you guys are creating "The Matrix"...

so, will players experience some sort of deja vu when you change something?:D

Hrm... not sure where you got that idea from, as the game will not have anything to do with "The Matrix".

If anything gets changed it will simply be that, changed. No deja vu or anything.

Gurum, if you need any help just private message me on this forum. I'm not sure how many people are already helping you. I have skills in C++, Delphi, and have extensive knowledge of the .NET platform. I am also an intermediate artist. Good luck, its a wonderful idea.

For any of you who are interested, we need all the help we can get, however we are sorely lacking in the art department. When I say "art" I mean we need traditional and digital artists that are skilled in the creation of landscapes, organics (people, animals, etc.), structures (buildings, etc.), and items of that nature.

If you want more information please feel free to PM Gurm of myself. Thanks to all those that have taken an interest and are now helping us take this from concept to reality.