• teoma
    • google
    • lycos
    • msn
    • yahoo
    • excite
    • webcrawler
    • other

what your favorite search engine and which do you think needs a makeover?? i personally think yahoo needs a different page re-development. yahoo!!! my god how can they keep it like that for years. their mail icon is out dated and ugly. it reminds me of windows 98 icons. they should foollow what microsoft did with XP. ui always impress me. lol

:o :o

Yeah I'd have to agree Googles UI is plain, but then again that's all it needs to be. It load fast even on my old 56k at work (pretty bad when you have DSL at home :s ) and is functionally simplistic.

This used to be true of Yahoo, years ago, but it has outgrown that simple look (and as said before it looks very outdated). Yahoo is now a full blown portal (of what I'm not sure they even know) and should look like one.

i'dd say yahoo cuz the ui hasnt changed much since back in '96, i can remember the ui being really similar as it is now lol...good ol sucky netscape 3x on macs lol

Originally posted by timdorr

my old fav (before google) was altavista, they SO need a makeover, it's not funny...

so, who IS going to do makeover? anyone?

i have been trying to contact yahoo, you know like a feedback "what do you think about yahoo - give us your comments" and so on... but i couldn find how i could send my opinion to right person. it dosen't say anywhere on the page. i would really like them to re-design their ui othervise its getting boring, but good service though

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Beta

i have been trying to contact yahoo, you know like a feedback "what do you think about yahoo - give us your comments" and so on... but i couldn find how i could send my opinion to right person. it dosen't say anywhere on the page. i would really like them to re-design their ui othervise its getting boring, but good service though

Do this survey for them?

http://sweepstakes.yahoo.com/homepage_beta_feedback_4

Google is by far the best search engine on the net. If any of the others are even close to it, its because they use Google's engine. Googles design and layout is just perfect. Clean and simple. Do you want it to be cluttered with tacky looking advertisements?

btw, for those who use "business-type search engines", such as Yahoo, they sell search results to the highest bidder. Meaning if you search for a certian topic the first couple of result may not be the best results, but instead the ones that pay to be listed in the top 10.

whoever said that google needs a makeover should be shot. i mean common. do you want the front searchpage to be full of **** links?

as it is is fine. youtype in what u want..and search. since i found google i havent used any other search engine. i usually get what i need on 1-6th page.

what more do you want? ..dont like it? want it to look like excite? or lycos? those need makeovers!

Originally posted by kintamanate

whoever said that google needs a makeover should be shot. i mean common. do you want the front searchpage to be full of **** links?

as it is is fine. youtype in what u want..and search. since i found google i havent used any other search engine. i usually get what i need on 1-6th page.

what more do you want? ..dont like it? want it to look like excite? or lycos? those need makeovers!

[stands up and claps: "Hell yes"]

Every time I see someone use yahoo or lycos (anything besides Google) I slap them and give them my search engine speech and then they go "Wow, Googles is great, thanks."

:)

Yahoo really does need it's makeover - thanks for the link Stevie. It does look a fair bit better, even though the differences are generally quite subtle.

Still, it's not going to stop me using Google. Fast, to the point, does the job perfectly without any bullcrap. Also, my browser (Opera) has a feature where I can type "g search words" in the address bar and it will search Google for "search words". Lovely!

It's all well and good having aesthetically pleasing search engines I suppose, but really, all you want it to do is find the results for your search, which is why I do stick with Google, and so I am not overtly bothered with how it looks, as long as it remains quick, and simple. Apart from that they could touch it up if they feel the need ;)

Yahoo doesn't need a makeover on its front page, which I think is pretty good as it is.

It needs a serious revamp of its searching functions though :( As it is, the Yahoo categories are normally (a) seriously outdated (b) full of invalid links, and © some categories don't exist ( esp. newer stuff that you look for. ) :lick:

I understand that Yahoo throws the search to Google or some other engine if a match is not found.. but.. still.. I like directory-based browsing...

Yahoo should really move to overhaul its searching functions. They're the reason I used them in the first place. :p