MSN 7.0 - No Tabs.

How to remove the new buttons:

A few people have been telling me they feel the window is a little bloated with the winks and the themes buttons.. so i found a way to remove them.

You'll need:

Reshacker

MSN 7.0

open up reshacker and dump in your msn 7.0 exe

open search and enter

<cmdbutton cmdid=35126 id=atom(winkbtn) class="ToolbarBtn" layout=flowlayout(0,2,0,2) AccName=rcstr(60004) AccRole=57 AccDesc=rcstr(3178) ShortcutString=rcstr(60004)> 

(its just easier to search the whole first line)

now to double check this should open up uifile 920

now you need to delete these sections

<cmdbutton cmdid=35126 id=atom(winkbtn) class="ToolbarBtn" layout=flowlayout(0,2,0,2) AccName=rcstr(60004) AccRole=57 AccDesc=rcstr(3178) ShortcutString=rcstr(60004)>
<png flip=false idres=1093 class="ToolbarIcon" />
<element id=atom(suppress) padding=rect(2,0,0,0) content=rcstr(60004) />
<element class="ToolbarCaret"/>
</cmdbutton>

Scroll down a little further and you will see 

<cmdbutton cmdid=40614 
id=atom(themesbtn) 
class="ToolbarBtn" 
layout=flowlayout(0,2,0,2) 
AccName=rcstr(60013) 
AccRole=57 
AccDesc=rcstr(44082) 
ShortcutString=rcstr(60013)>
<png flip=false idres=1012  class="ToolbarIcon" />
<element id=atom(suppress) padding=rect(2,0,0,0) content=rcstr(60013) />
<element class="ToolbarCaret"/>
</cmdbutton>

That is the packs button :)

and for those even wanting to be rid of the buzz button, scroll down a little again and look for:

<cmdbutton cmdid=689 
id=atom(buzzbtn) 
class="ToolbarBtn" 
layout=flowlayout(0,2,0,2) 
AccName=rcstr(699) 
AccRole=57 
AccDesc=rcstr(700) 
>
<png flip=false padding=rect(2,0,0,0) idres=911  class="ToolbarIcon" />
</cmdbutton>

Once your done compile the script and save the file, open up msn 7.0 and enjoy a less bloated chat window

A little information from your friendly neighbourhood penguin

heres the final product:

584677975[/snapback]

After deleteing the suggested strings... what do you save the file as and where do u put it?

I think those were back before the 425 beta (i cant remember), but its all the same....

once you finish editing/deleting make sure the program itself is off... then compile the script and save the the exe. reshacker will make a backup in the original location... so if you bugger up you should be ok :D

in other words.. just save it in its original location ;)

there are a few more things [here], if you feel like removing some top items ;)

no problem aam :D

585092198[/snapback]

Finally got rid of the ad in the chat window. Thank you dude.

anyways of removing the msn logo from the top right of the IM window?

also, after res hacking, I have a problem, whenever I close the main window and then reopen it, the display settings change back to "by email" instead of "by display name" :unsure:

yes there is:

its in uifile 920 just below the - [] x buttons

search

<element id=atom(captionbtngrpbase) layout=borderlayout() padding=rect(0,0,10,0)>

and scroll down a bit till you see the code:

<png class="CaptionImg" id=atom(msnlogo) layoutpos=ifhc(none, right) flip=false idres=1041/>

make sure you are in uifile 920 or you'll remove the logo from somewhere else (not that thats a bad thing..) They use the same code for all the msn logos really.

the problem of the contacts display still persists though :(. It doesn't happen right away. It seems as though if I leave the main window closed for a few minutes then re-open it, it reverts back to "email address" for the view of the buddy list.

I started reshacking back with the longhorn top bar project along with a few others, you pick up things as you go really. I found out most of this stuff when I was making a skin for a neowin member... ( msn is rather simple when you get into it :D )

bangbang could you show me a screen of the exact problem? i might be able to solve that

Edit: do you mean the sort order? or do you mean it displays emails instead of names?

well it isn't happening now, but there's no screen shot to take really. You know you have the option of either choose to view your online contacts, on your buddy list, by their email address or chosen display name? Well, every now and then, it reverts back to displaying everyone on my list using their email address instead of showing their chose display name. It's not happening now, but it was two minutes ago.

Ive never seen that option.... wierd. I can only really change things to do with "buddyname" and "buddystate", unfortunatly the only reference to a buddy email i can find is a few send email buttons.

What exactly did you edit that caused the problem?

(then again it might be a service problem)

if worse come to worse ill quickly make a patch for everyone.

I only edited the chat window ad and now the logo. The option I'm talking about is under contact/manage contacts/view contacts by...

it seems to be working ok now. Must have been a hiccup.

Yes I would say so, because you didnt really touch anything to do with the contact list (thats in another ui file)

(Y) good luck with any future reshacking people, as always... if you need help just drop me a line.

are you sure you followed thos instructions to the letter... because

<element id=atom(captionbtngrpbase) layout=borderlayout() padding=rect(0,0,10,0)>

only appears in one place and that is in UIFILE 920, which is only to do with the chat window

if you searched:

<png class="CaptionImg" id=atom(msnlogo) layoutpos=ifhc(none, right) flip=false idres=1041/>

That appears in a number of places and you could be removing that logo from anywhere...

What you need to so is search for the first string, then scroll down and delete the second.

(im guessing you removed that from somewhere in uifile 923)

Man, you got me addicted to this lol. I removed the send buttons from the IM window and the handwrite/type tabs from the window also. Thanks again.

Not a problem :D

always good to get people into this, its fun to see just what you can do with a little reshacking here and there isnt it? and the result is a fairly clean looking msn.

Unfortunatly Im going to have my work cut out for me if msn does anything like the wave 11 concept :s