iCal vs. Outlook 2003 calendar

which application is more suitable for organizing multiple calendars?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. which application is more suitable for organizing multiple calendars?

• Outlook 2003 calendar
    • iCal

Which program do you think is more suitable as a calendar application? What are the weaknesses and strengths of each application interface or overall design?

iCal

callout011504.jpg

Outlook 2003

14_Calendar-Sharing-Open.gif

For me personally its Outlook2003 hands down for my use. I have a windows machine for one. The other is everyone at the military base I work at uses outlook so I can easily connect to all their calendars for scheduling appointments and checking their availability without even having to ask them. I can assign different access levels to different people to allow them what control they have over my calendar and schedule. Plus working in Space Command, Microsoft sells us Office 2003 Professional thru the Home Use Program for under $22.00 to use on our home computers so at that price there is no reason for me to switch to anything else ..

Shouldn't you be comparing iCal to Enterage 2004 ?!?!?

I agree, there's little point comparing Apps that both users cannot run on the same system. Personally i prefer iCal over Entourage, but thats because it's tied in with Key apps i use -

Safari (Few Applescripts)

Address Book (Calender sending etc etc)

iSync (Bluetooth Sync and iPod)

Also, because its based on a standard, so i can easily update my online calender's via dropping the "_.ics" file on my webserver or via WebDAV publishing. :)

I also prefer iCal in terms of interface, its very clean and simple to use, and separated from my other apps for Addresses and Mail etc... I personally prefer it that way...

My guess is most of the people who choose one or the other, do so because it fits in with the people and systems around them. They can't afford or don't want troublesome times trying to share/connect with other Calenders/Users/Devices.

Totally pointless comparing Outlook 2003 to iCal. Most people using 2003 won't have had a chance to use iCal, and vice versa.

Personally, I use iCal because of its integration with other OS X apps (including .Mac), but I would rather use Entourage 2004 if MS didn't always insist on doing everything separately. I mean, would it KILL them to integrate with OS X's address book, iSync, etc?

Anyway, iCal as it is could definitely do with some work. My two main gripes are:

- You can't just set a reminder for a specific time without having to go and make an actual appointment in your calendar. This is unbelievably clunky, and unlike Apple.

- Reminders that do pop up have stupid respawn times. You can either ask to be reminded again in 1 minute, 2 mins, 5 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours and 1 day. I mean WTF? Do we really need the choice between 1 minute and 2? And maybe, just maybe I might want to be reminded in, say, 45 minutes without having to reset the alarm nine times. Sheesh.

There are other little gripes too, but these are the two that annoy me most. Still, I'll keep using it just because it ties in better with OS X and .Mac than Office 2004 does. I really wish the Mac unit over at MS would take that onboard. I suspect that probably would like to, but knowing MS there are probably edicts from on high that it would be a Bad Idea. Typical!

How about "Neither, I can keep track of my life without software?"

The only time I have used iCal is when I am picking classes each quarter. I like to be able to visually see my brakes and amount of time spent in each class. Without iCal I would use a pen and paper or photoshop instead.

I basically put it this way:

Personal Scheduling: iCal

Corporate Scheduling: Outlook

They cover the same topic, but they are both very different in focus. I personally use iCal for tracking assignments and tests, and occasional event here and there. But for the most part, it's just a supplement for what is already in my head.

i love iCal's simplicity. All i have about 6 or 7 different calenders, ie Events, Homework, Deadlines, Work, Birthdays... and it works a charm. It syncs with my Sony Ericsson T630 with iSync, and i can make new events on my phone and send it bak.