Installing apps under Linux

Okay, I'm completely new to Red Hat 9. It took me days to figure out how to install a single update (without using up2date, that's not working becuase I haven't set up the Internet on this box).

To install a single update (*.rpm):

- Double click on the Home icon on the desktop.

- Make sure there are no *.rpm files in there and place the update into here.

- Right click the desktop and select "Terminal".

- Type in rpm -Uvh *.rpm, and it should install.

If it doesn't work then try:

- rpm -Fvh *.rpm

Installing a Kernel update:

- Remove all *.rpm's from that Home directory first.

- Put ALL the Kernel files (4 of them I think) into the same directory.

- Type in rpm -ivh *.rpm

Okay, now is this all correct? - it worked for me.

I also installed OpenOffice 1.1 (originally it was 1.0), but...it still says 1.0, have I missed something?

P.S.

What's the differences between:

rpm -Uvh

rpm -Fvh

rpm -ivh

And if there are any others then what do they mean..?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

hey

just installed redhat linux

now the problem is im really a windows user trying to get to know linux.

ive download a irc client and a fxp client and tried to install em by clicking em ( picture clicker )

now when i click on the file it says its already installed but where do i go to open the execuatable file?

sorry if i sound like a newbie but i am in this case.

• 2 months later...

redhat should have rpm packages on cd for irc and im guessing an ftp client? once you install those for example if you installed xchat-2 you just run the command 'xchat-2' in your shell and it should load up, considering its in your $PATH with redhat it should be though most apps install to /usr/bin

hey

just installed redhat linux

now the problem is im really a windows user trying to get to know linux.

ive download a irc client and a fxp client and tried to install em by clicking em ( picture clicker )

now when i click on the file it says its already installed but where do i go to open the execuatable file?

sorry if i sound like a newbie but i am in this case.

If you use the "add/remove programs" (or whatever it is called from the RedHat menus, it will install these programs from the ones already included on your CDs, and will even put them in the menus for you. :)

Or, you can download and install any 3rd party program and run it from a shell, or from the "Run command..." item in the menus, or you can add it to your menus for later easy access.

(The easiest choice fore newbies is to just install it from the CD-ROMs, because it adds it to the menus and everything for you) ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Because this is now the open source forum, I can't imagine anyone would get upset about a brief guide to installing OpenBSD Packages (as opposed to ports).

Chances are you're running it on an i386 system, so you can browse the packages here. Download the package you want then

sudo pkg_add packname.tgz
password: <your password here>

*-----* if you would rather install your software when logged in as root then just:

pkg_add pkgname.tgz

This may or may not work because the package might have some dependencies. You could go and manually add the packages that your program depends on first (and the packages they may depend on and so on...) before trying again, but I prefer to just install right from the ftp site.

sudo pkg_add ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.4/packages/i386/packagename.tgz

That will download packagename.tgz and install it and it will install packages to satisfy dependencies. Even big programs like emacs or KDE can be installed extremely quickly if you have a fast internet connection.

Make sure you read the information display after the package is installed (if any) because some applications may require additional configuration. For example if you install BASH the notes say that you must add "/usr/local/bin/bash" to /etc/shells file before you can use chsh to switch your shell OR to set it as a new users shell when using the adduser script.

man pkg_add

for more information on the pkg_add command.

personally I like to use the "-v" flag so that it displays information about files it's copying, dependencies, and the ftp transfer - I find it makes debugging any problems (in the rare event you have problems, it's usually not enoughdisk space, connection dropped, or you didn't run pkg_add with root privs).

Good luck and happy installing.

• 2 weeks later...
Because this is now the open source forum, I can't imagine anyone would get upset about a brief guide to installing OpenBSD Packages (as opposed to ports).

Chances are you're running it on an i386 system, so you can browse the packages here. Download the package you want then

sudo pkg_add packname.tgz
password: <your password here>

*-----* if you would rather install your software when logged in as root then just:

pkg_add pkgname.tgz

This may or may not work because the package might have some dependencies. You could go and manually add the packages that your program depends on first (and the packages they may depend on and so on...) before trying again, but I prefer to just install right from the ftp site.

sudo pkg_add ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.4/packages/i386/packagename.tgz

That will download packagename.tgz and install it and it will install packages to satisfy dependencies. Even big programs like emacs or KDE can be installed extremely quickly if you have a fast internet connection.

Make sure you read the information display after the package is installed (if any) because some applications may require additional configuration. For example if you install BASH the notes say that you must add "/usr/local/bin/bash" to /etc/shells file before you can use chsh to switch your shell OR to set it as a new users shell when using the adduser script.

man pkg_add

for more information on the pkg_add command.

personally I like to use the "-v" flag so that it displays information about files it's copying, dependencies, and the ftp transfer - I find it makes debugging any problems (in the rare event you have problems, it's usually not enoughdisk space, connection dropped, or you didn't run pkg_add with root privs).

Good luck and happy installing.

gotta love the ports system ;-)

• 1 month later...

kemical

There's no reason to quote the entire guide just to add "gotta love the ports system ;-)". You wasted my time. Go back to AOL. Please.

Generally, I build from source. Most of the time, building from source produces better results than third-party packages, and all the good, new, cutting-edge code isn't built by third-parties yet. For Slackware, I generally build from source, as Slackware does not have a bondage-&-discipline dependency framework. If I need packages, I find them at http://linuxpackages.net/

These days, almost all software released can be built with the standard ./configure && make && make install. However, many times you'll find you need to adjust installation paths.

--prefix sets the root of the install (typically /usr/local for tarballed source)

--sysconfdir sets the config file directory (defaults to $PREFIX/etc; you probably want this to be /etc)

Also, configure scripts have lots of different flags to set at build time, which you won't be able to manipulate endlessly if you're using a package.

kemical

There's no reason to quote the entire guide just to add "gotta love the ports system ;-)". You wasted my time. Go back to AOL. Please.

Generally, I build from source. Most of the time, building from source produces better results than third-party packages, and all the good, new, cutting-edge code isn't built by third-parties yet. For Slackware, I generally build from source, as Slackware does not have a bondage-&-discipline dependency framework. If I need packages, I find them at http://linuxpackages.net/

These days, almost all software released can be built with the standard ./configure && make && make install. However, many times you'll find you need to adjust installation paths.

--prefix sets the root of the install (typically /usr/local for tarballed source)

--sysconfdir sets the config file directory (defaults to $PREFIX/etc; you probably want this to be /etc)

Also, configure scripts have lots of different flags to set at build time, which you won't be able to manipulate endlessly if you're using a package.

next time you verbally attack me im going to kill your box of gerbils. dont bring your bitch ass on here attacking a long time neowin user.

If you install Wolfenstein Enemy Territory under Linux (I'm using Gentoo on my system), and you have no sound, but other applications have properly working sound, try the following method:

Type the following into the console/terminal:

echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" >/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

Log off the root account and run Wolfenstein ET as a normal user. Sound should now work :)

• 1 month later...

im trying to install xms(or whatever its called) but whenever i run ./configure in the main directory, it dosent work. i followed the instructions exactly. i tried it in bot hgraphical mode(navigating to the folder and going to tools, shell comand here) and also in the shell and i got the same error in both. see the screenie

post-30-1087420488.jpg

im trying to install xms(or whatever its called) but whenever i run ./configure in the main directory, it dosent work. i followed the instructions exactly. i tried it in bot hgraphical mode(navigating to the folder and going to tools, shell comand here) and also in the shell and i got the same error in both. see the screenie

From that output I think you need to install gc++ What distro are you using?

Yeah, definitely missing your "development" options (which include compilers and such for programming and compiling code).

You can issue a command to retrieve xmms for you, if you want. What command depends mostly on your distro.

meh, its not recognizing my install cd's through virtual pc. ive had enough of this crap. im going to dual boot.

Glad to hear it, you wont regret dual booting, it gives a much better feel of the OS imo (Y)

im trying to comple a samurize-like program called superkaramba. ./configure all goes well and then it tells me to start make

i start make and then i get this error that python somehting dosent exist.

main.cpp:6:20: Python.h: No such file or directory
In file included from main.cpp:22:
karamba.h:5:20: Python.h: No such file or directory
In file included from karamba.h:57,
                 from main.cpp:22:
imagelabel.h:12:20: Python.h: No such file or directory
In file included from imagelabel.h:24,
                 from karamba.h:57,
                 from main.cpp:22:
karamba.h:5:20: Python.h: No such file or directory
In file included from main.cpp:22:
karamba.h:188: error: syntax error before `*' token
karamba.h:189: error: syntax error before `*' token
main.cpp:39: error: syntax error before `*' token
main.cpp: In function `int main(int, char**)':
main.cpp:81: error: `Py_Initialize' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:81: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
main.cpp:84: error: `PyEval_InitThreads' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:86: error: `mainThreadState' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:89: error: `PyThreadState_Get' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:92: error: `PyEval_ReleaseLock' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:122: error: `PyInterpreterState' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:122: error: `mainInterpreterState' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:124: error: `PyThreadState' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:124: error: `myThreadState' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:124: error: `PyThreadState_New' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:125: error: `PyThreadState_Swap' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:126: error: `PyEval_AcquireLock' undeclared (first use this function)
main.cpp:127: error: `Py_Finalize' undeclared (first use this function)
make[3]: *** [main.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/dimitri/Programs/superkaramba-0.33/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/dimitri/Programs/superkaramba-0.33/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dimitri/Programs/superkaramba-0.33'
make: *** [all] Error 2

anyway to fix this? is this somehting found on my install cd's?

oh crap, i just keep popping question after question. can soemone explain these instructions to installing java in idiots terms

" To install the Linux (self-extracting) file

Follow these instructions:

1. At the terminal: Type:

su

2. Enter the root password.

3. Change to the directory in which you want to install. Type:

cd <directory path name>

For example, to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, Type:

cd /usr/java/

"

/usr/java/ dosent exist on my compputer, and if i make it, i still cant install the rpm file because its in my downloads directory. i dont understand how im supposed to install it in /usr/java through the terminal if its in ~/Downloads.