ftp server on a network

i have my cable modem hooked up to my hub, and just have my comp out of port 1, and laptop out of port 2..

how do i run an ftp server from my laptop? i use the ip that it supplies, but no one can connect.. is there any other configuration i need to set or anything. please let me know. thank you..

desktop:

hp pavillion 8190

400 mhz

288mb ram

windows xp pro

laptop:

dell inspiron 8200

1.6ghz

256mb ram

windows xp home

first off, you need an app that will accept incoming ftp requests, like Serve U or Cerberus. Cerberus is VERY easy to use. Or you could use IIS, which comes with XP, and is quite easy to configure.

second, you will need some way to direct the ftp traffic to your laptop. what are the IPs of the two machines? if your cable modem is plugged into your hub, how do your computers access the internet? are you using internet connection sharing of some kind?

finally, do you have any sort of firewall running, such as the XP internet connection firewall? if so, you will need to configure it to allow requests on port 21 (ftp).

lemme know more details, and i'll try to help.

although it's 2 AM my time, so you may not hear back til the morning.

Originally posted by dotbatman

oh, and YahoKa, it's "Disciple", not "Desciple".

unless it's deliberate...

Nope it was not deliberate! almost 800 posts and you were the first to notice that! LOL...

Originally posted by dotbatman

ya, either everyone on neowin is a poor speller, or i am a big pain in the ass...

Survey Says...?

No comments :p

laterz ;)

i just have my modem going into my hub, and my comp from port 1, and laptop from port 2.. and just the normal network wizard setup on windows xp

btw.. im using bulletproof ftp server

laptop ip 192.168.1.102

desktop 192.168.1.100

those are the ips that i give out to people which i assume the router assigns.

but my real ip is 66.8.231.xxx

if u need more info let me know. thanks

ok, you need to configure your router to forward connections on port 21 to the laptop's IP. since you're on cable it's probably against your terms of service to run an FTP server, so pick something random for the port and they shouldn't find you (unless they've gotten smart...).

see, the problem is a 192.x.x.x address is for internal use only, so if someone tries to connect to 192.x.x.x from the internet, it's impossible.

as timdorr said, you need to give people your REAL IP (66.8.231.xxx ) and then route the traffic from your modem to the laptop. now, you mention you have a router as well.

you need to get into the router's configuration menu, usually through a web interface (this should be outlined in your router's user guide). what you are looking for is a setting for "port forwarding" or in some cases "virtual services".

as timdorr said, enter the port you want to use (personally, i use the default port 21, and have had no problems from my ISP, but it's up to you, it's just that if you use a different port you would have to tell people to connect to ftp://66.8.231.x:xxx, where xxx is your port number), and the LAN host IP (your laptop, 192.168.1.102) and that should do it. when people enter ftp://66.8.231.x, the router will know what to do.

hope this helps, if not please write back! i love this ****!

one more thing, to test whether it is working, you would need to have somebody try and connect to you from outside, but there is a way to do it yourself, with a public proxy or "anonymizer".

i use this one, it's very fast and totally free.

Originally posted by logan

okay, i got it to forward to my ip.. but now it doesnt accept passive transfers.. imma try and figure this out now

check in the settings in Bulletproof, and also make sure the laptop does not have the XP firewall enabled.