Creatin? Good? Bad? What's your thoughts...

I race mountain-bikes in the UK. It is legal to use creatin in most countries, but if you compete in any sporting event in france you will be prosecuted!

Don't use it myself, I just do lots of road miles :p

Dougal.

heres the deal... whenever you eat meat youre eating a small amount of creatine... your body makes it too... the only thing the supplement does is boosts the amount (duh) to achieve better results... but what you have to realize is that your body stores the creatine in your muscles AND stores water at the same time... so, to get the greatest benefit from it you have to do a load period when you FIRST start on it... this is taking more than the recommended amount for 4-5 days then backing off... you will use creatine for 2 weeks and then completely stop for 2 weeks and repeat (w/o the load period) this will allow the greatest impact of the creatine and the 2 weeks w/o it will allow your body to get rid of it so you can start again.

i started taking it but it made me feel sick lol, probly cos i didnt drink enough water...

drink LOTS of water when taking it or u'll get stomach ache and feel sick...

I am very paranoid when taking supplements of any kind. So I researched Creatine extensively before trying it out. I could not find one single current article that showed it has negative effects. Even better, it works! Definately try it out. Also, make sure your protein intake is very high - about a gram per pound of muscle you want to maintain. Easiest way would be of course to drink shakes, but you should mix up the source a bit by eating a range of foods.

This is a good deal...

Cheers guys, I am actually already taking it. But didn't want to mention that at the start to see what responses I would get. I'm not an "athlete" of any kind. I don't compete in anything, I just want to put on some strength and muscle for my personal enjoyment, and self confidence.

Cheers guys, I am actually already taking it. But didn't want to mention that at the start to see what responses I would get. I'm not an "athlete" of any kind. I don't compete in anything, I just want to put on some strength and muscle for my personal enjoyment, and self confidence.

584719955[/snapback]

I am sure I don't have to tell you that it will do absolutely nothing if you aren't working out. Good luck.

copy and paste job for the google challenged

Health risks of supplemental creatine monohydrate are:

(1) The short-term side effects of taking more than 5 grams a day include nausea and diarrhea. Long-term side effects with daily dosages of greater than 10 grams a day may include harm to the kidneys, especially in those with kidney disease. Teenagers or individuals older than 80 should not take it because of potential stress and harm on the kidneys. Definitely don't mix creatine monohydrate with fruit juice, as is recommended by some manufacturers -- this promotes the formation of creatinine, a metabolic waste product that stresses and harms the kidneys.

(2) Creatine monohydrate is linked to grand mal seizures and tumor.

(3) Creatine monohydrate has been linked to muscle cramps, strains, stomach problems and dizziness.

(4) Creatine monohydrate can promote dehydration by interfering with the body's sweating mechanism, so it is definitely not for runners or others engaged in endurance sports.

(5) Creatine monohydrate can reduce the body's natural production of Creatine.

(6) The safety of long-term use of Creatine monohydrate has not been established. Absence of studies of creatine's long-term effects, a special cause for concern given its popularity among teenage athletes.

Add to the above concerns are Creatine monohydrate's high cost and the absence of quality standards, I must conclude that it is an under-researched, expensive product not worth using.

Taken from... http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Z--6p...e+harmful&hl=en