Zonealarm (ICS Problem) Connecting!

I installed Zonealarm On ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) Computer, and Set the IP Address to 192.168.0.1. Then I Set the settings on Zonealarm to the 3rd Option (ICS), To allow all the Computers to connect though this computer to connect to the Internet.

Then, My other computers I would set as Different IP Address, (No Conflicts), and I Installed Zonealarm on them Computers aswell, and Set the option to connect to a ICS Computer using Zonealarm.

Then I got to Internet Explorer to check if its got Internet Access and it works for about 10mins, then after awhile is says cannot connect, after browsing though the webfor about 10mins

Before Installed Zonealarm I was using Windows XP Default Firewall and the Internet worked fine with that, No Problems, But With Zonealarm it keeps Getting Unable To Connect in Internet Explorer.

Also, I have tried Differnet Browser, For Example BT Yahoo Browser, Firefox, Aero Browser, No Luck. I have also used Ad Aware and Spy Sweaper to remove the Trojens, Also updated My AntiVirus Programe and Did a Full Scan, Nothing Found.

I Can still see Other Computers on the networks, and I can still use Network Drives, even when the internet Cannot Be Connected to the ICS Computer. Also The Internet Still works on the ICS.

ICS Computer

IP -192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask -255.255.255.0

Other Computers

IP - 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask-255.255.255.0

Getway- 192.168.0.1

Why does this keep Happening

Other Computers

IP - 192.168.0.3

Subnet Mask-255.255.255.0

Getway- 192.168.0.1

Why does this keep Happening

I've got the Pro version of ZoneAlarm and had a similar problem. Here's the fix from the ZA Help desk:

On the gateway machine, do the following.

Click start -> run, type cmd and click ok.

Type ipconfig /all and press enter.

Find the connection you are using, and make note of all the DNS servers.

Type exit and press enter.

Double-click the ZA icon down by the clock.

Click firewall -> main, and click the advanced button.

Put the check in "this computer is an ICS/NAT gateway"?, and click ok.

Click firewall -> zones.

Add each DNS server to the trusted zone. To do this, do the following.

Click the add button, and then click IP address.

Click trusted, put in the IP address, enter a description, and click ok.

When finished adding all addresses, click the apply button.

Next, click program control -> programs. Locate Generic Host Processing.

Under the server column, for trusted, change that to a check.

Don't change server internet to a check, just server trusted.

If you have ZoneAlarm on the other computers, do the following.

Click the ZA icon down by the clock.

Put the check in "this computer is a client of an ICS/NAT gateway"?, and click ok.

Please note that this will likely NOT work if you are using the free version of ZoneAlarm. Support for ICS is one of the perks of going to the Pro/pay version according to their web site. Older versions I believe will do it for the freeware versions. If that's your situation I'd Google it and try to find an older version somewhere.

Happy landings!

Edited by Salgoth

Thx M8, I will give it ago.

Also, I Play alot of Online Games, So if I open a Range of ports or a port to the ICS Computer on the ICS Firewall, will that open the port for the whole network that is connecting to the ics for the internet?

Thx M8, I will give it ago.

Also, I Play alot of Online Games, So if I open a Range of ports or a port to the ICS Computer on the ICS Firewall,  will that open the port for the whole network that is connecting to the ics for the internet?

584731754[/snapback]

To be honest I'm not sure. I'm running ZA 5.1.033 right now. If you go to Program Control you should be able to grant access to your games programs from there regardless of the specific ports needed. Access is program based, not port based.

Otherwise, you can do a lot with ports in Expert Rules so that's where I'd go if granting access via the programs route doesn't work.

I stopped using zone alarm becuase i would enable ICS\NAT and when i restarted it whould in tick it. I'm using Bit Defeneder Pro 8 now. Fast and effective

584731875[/snapback]

Troll :) He didnt ask what alternate firewall software shud be used! He asked how 2 solve the problem :huh:

• 1 year later...

I've got the Pro version of ZoneAlarm and had a similar problem. Here's the fix from the ZA Help desk:

On the gateway machine, do the following.

Click start -> run, type cmd and click ok.

Type ipconfig /all and press enter.

Find the connection you are using, and make note of all the DNS servers.

Type exit and press enter.

Double-click the ZA icon down by the clock.

Put the check in "this computer is an ICS/NAT gateway"?, and click ok.

Click firewall -> zones.

Add each DNS server to the trusted zone. To do this, do the following.

Click the add button, and then click IP address.

Click trusted, put in the IP address, enter a description, and click ok.

When finished adding all addresses, click the apply button.

Next, click program control -> programs. Locate Generic Host Processing.

Under the server column, for trusted, change that to a check.

Don't change server internet to a check, just server trusted.

If you have ZoneAlarm on the other computers, do the following.

Click the ZA icon down by the clock.

Put the check in "this computer is a client of an ICS/NAT gateway"?, and click ok.

Please note that this will likely NOT work if you are using the free version of ZoneAlarm. Support for ICS is one of the perks of going to the Pro/pay version according to their web site. Older versions I believe will do it for the freeware versions. If that's your situation I'd Google it and try to find an older version somewhere.

Happy landings!

You are the man! Thanks a lot, this works great even with my USB modem.

Yes I Can Connec to the ICS Computer, but I cant get Internet Access

I'm curious, why the ZoneAlarm on each machine? I personally have never used ZoneAlarm, but I would think that since they are using your main PC as the gateway, and it has a firewall that is working aren't you doubling your efforts? Maybe I am totally wrong...personally I would remove it from the client computers and see what happens. See if your internet lasts longer than 10 minutes after you remove/disable ZA?