DNS Issues between servers

I have a client whose original network consisted of two 2000 servers and 7 workstations (5 XP Pros and 1 XP Home and an ME). They bought a new 2003 server and wanted to migrate to this as their new Domain Controller.

We created a new domain and had only one of the 2000 servers join this new network and retired the other. The joined in server houses their Goldmine data and is their SQL Server. Since joining into the new network, we have had trouble with two of the XP Pro workstations being occasionally thrown out of Goldmine. DNS seems to be correctly configured, and their seems to be no problem with the switch...but about every three hours, these two users get booted.

I'm at my wits end, and the client's Office Manager is a wanna be admin and is harrassing me for answers.

ripped :ninja:

There are GPO or LPO settings where if it is not able to authenticate a computer or user object via AD, then a forced shutdown or logoff takes place. If it is able to find the server when it boots, but say a refresh takes place and for one reason or another it gets bad data, then this might happen.

There are GPO or LPO settings where if it is not able to authenticate a computer or user object via AD, then a forced shutdown or logoff takes place. If it is able to find the server when it boots, but say a refresh takes place and for one reason or another it gets bad data, then this might happen.

584758960[/snapback]

actually, THIS sounds exactly like what is going on.

which settings are you talking about?

I searched hi and low through the default XP GPO ADM files, and could find no setting that would force a logoff or shutdown should a machine or user be unable to authenticate.

For my clarification, are the machines being removed from the domain when this happens? IE you have to rejoin the machine to the domain?

One knee jerk suggestion, check the time and time zone on those XP Pro machines. It should only prevent logon, and not affect a computer in use, but kerberos is very time sensitive.

Tim

I searched hi and low through the default XP GPO ADM files, and could find no setting that would force a logoff or shutdown should a machine or user be unable to authenticate.

For my clarification, are the machines being removed from the domain when this happens? IE you have to rejoin the machine to the domain?

One knee jerk suggestion, check the time and time zone on those XP Pro machines. It should only prevent logon, and not affect a computer in use, but kerberos is very time sensitive.

Tim

584764955[/snapback]

no they do not get booted out of the domain - i think only off the server that has the goldmine data and runs sql.

this one is weird.