Firefox VS Safari

i think the only person that understands chad is...  chad.

chad: it's interesting you say apple has crammed "everything" into safari, and that it's behind omniweb and firefox, compared to all the features i'd call "bloat" in omniweb and firefox.  and no, as a keyboard junkie (one finger on the cmd key, four fingers hovering the keyboard, one hand on the mouse), it would save me perhaps a half a second to choose "Copy Image Location" over "open in new window" > cmd-l > cmd-c > cmd-w.

584753508[/snapback]

That's you. If you like keeping tracking of keyboard shortcuts thats on you, but the fact of the matter is that Copy Image Location is a standard browser feature found on every single brownser practically bar text based browsers and Safari.

That's you. If you like keeping tracking of keyboard shortcuts thats on you, but the fact of the matter is that Copy Image Location is a standard browser feature found on every single brownser practically bar text based browsers and Safari.

584753773[/snapback]

and cmd-l is a standard keyboard shortcut in every browser to send me to the address bar.

and cmd-c is a standard keyboard shortcut in every operating system to copy selected text.

and cmd-w is a standard mac os keyboard shortcut that closes the current window.

it's not "keeping track". it's being "computer literate".

and cmd-l is a standard keyboard shortcut in every browser to send me to the address bar.

and cmd-c is a standard keyboard shortcut in every operating system to copy selected text.

and cmd-w is a standard mac os keyboard shortcut that closes the current window.

it's not "keeping track".  it's being "computer literate".

584753854[/snapback]

Right, so you admit that there are across the board keyboard shortcuts that are a standard yet you don't see any reason why a common function should be a standard in everything bar Safari?

:rolleyes:

There's a lot more to being computer literate than remembering a bunch of shortcuts as well.

Right, so you admit that there are across the board keyboard shortcuts that are a standard yet you don't see any reason why a common function should be a standard in everything bar Safari?

:rolleyes:

There's a lot more to being computer literate than remembering a bunch of shortcuts as well.

584753901[/snapback]

i'm very sorry i'm not going to base my preference of browser on something as ridiculously small as one contextual menu item :rolleyes:

either way, no, there is a big difference between what one browser has vs. another and what the os maker has determined appropriate keyboard shortcuts. the closest comparison i can come up with right now is the little kid who has a shiny red tricycle, and one who doesn't. but they both recieve food, shelter, and all that other junk kids need, so what is the real difference?

is having that contextual menu item in firefox making your/chad's/the devs of firefox's e-penis bigger?

i won't get into your level of computer literacy at this point, but consider what you're arguing about right now. i certainly don't feel that one contextual menu item has any urgency in my life, but if that's what's important to you, then you have bigger issues to deal with.

Until Firefox gets faster, it's dog slow even on my 1.5GHz PowerBook, I'm gonna use Safari...

There's absolutely NO reason for me to choose Firefox over Safari.

i'm very sorry i'm not going to base my preference of browser on something as ridiculously small as one contextual menu item  :rolleyes:

584753970[/snapback]

No one is asking you to base your preference on anything. There are many reasons not to choose it but if someone actually uses copy image locationt a lot and its not there then arguing about how you would rather use keyboard shortcuts is rather stupid.

i won't get into your level of computer literacy at this point, but consider what you're arguing about right now.  i certainly don't feel that one contextual menu item has any urgency in my life, but if that's what's important to you, then you have bigger issues to deal with.

There you go again arguing on what you use it for and attacking other people for not having the same view. I'm not arguing about the oontexual menu item but I do see why other people would see it as being important and stated the reason why.

There you go again arguing on what you use it for and attacking other people for not having the same view. I'm not arguing about the oontexual menu item but I do see why other people would see it as being important and stated the reason why.

584754075[/snapback]

and imagine... we're back to where we were. whether it's you or the first person who whined about safari not having it, it's a ridiculous thing to base your browser choice on.

and another thing. that is far from "attacking people for not having the same view". :rolleyes:

Okay, so you say Safari is bloated, and then you say you want more functionality. I really don't get you Chad, I really don't. Safari is light, fast and really much better than Firefox on OS X. Firefox on Windows is nice. It's the best Windows has, but in the Mac scene, we have better. I'm sorry, but "Copy Image Location" doesn't make Firefox better than Safari.

584753269[/snapback]

I never said anything about Safari and functionality. I was mocking people who don't use firefox because it doesn't use the osx ui...so they choose looks over functionality...get it?

The difference between Firefox/Omniweb and Safari is HUUUUGE. Safari hasn't been "light, fast and really much better than Firefox on OS X" since 1.0. If you think so, you're just kidding yourself. Each browser has a ton of features, but Firefox and Omniweb are years ahead of Safari in terms of what they have or what you could install (FF with extensions). Sure, Safari has some nice features, but Apple decided they wanted to go with a browser with some stuff in it, and sacrifice the nice, light browser they started out with. Sure, they could have both, but they don't. Safari is a pos browser. They probably COULD make it nice and light again while retaining the features, but they haven't.

If you think Safari is nice and light and fast and cool, or whatever....you haven't tried FF or Omniweb...or tried them long enough.

and no, as a keyboard junkie (one finger on the cmd key, four fingers hovering the keyboard, one hand on the mouse), it would save me perhaps a half a second to choose "Copy Image Location" over "open in new window" > cmd-l > cmd-c > cmd-w.

584753508[/snapback]

Don't forget cmd-v...or are you just going to copy it and not download it? :rolleyes:

I don't care how much you use the keyboard...the contextual menu IS faster than hitting 4 keyboard combos. Let's see right click (or cmd-click), then a left click to dl the image, or 4 keycombos with a couple "enter" hits in there. Tough one.

I've used Safari on campus lab machines, and I have to agree with Chad's comment about Firefox being much more functional and extensible (Firefox is my primary OS on Windows; I'm don't own a Macintosh). Even if the base browser doesn't have some feature that you'd want, there are so many extensions available, most of which are very innovative and really make commonly performed tasks faster and easier.

That's not to say Safari doesn't have some of its own little strong points - the "snapback" feature is one example of a feature that would be nice to have in Firefox.

In the end though, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Firefox, no doubt about it. Its strengths far outweigh the minor weaknesses like using non-native UI widgets, in my opinion.

Each browser has a ton of features, but Firefox and Omniweb are years ahead of Safari in terms of what they have or what you could install (FF with extensions).

584756087[/snapback]

So what are you basing this on? I bet if Apple decides to go with extensions in the next version of Safari, it would take only weeks, if not sooner, for developers to come up with extensions that are currently available for FF.

The difference between Firefox/Omniweb and Safari is HUUUUGE.  Safari hasn't been "light, fast and really much better than Firefox on OS X" since 1.0.  If you think so, you're just kidding yourself.  Each browser has a ton of features, but Firefox and Omniweb are years ahead of Safari in terms of what they have or what you could install (FF with extensions).  Sure, Safari has some nice features, but Apple decided they wanted to go with a browser with some stuff in it, and sacrifice the nice, light browser they started out with.  Sure, they could have both, but they don't.  Safari is a pos browser.  They probably COULD make it nice and light again while retaining the features, but they haven't.

584756087[/snapback]

Right, so it's just a coincidence that Safari loads and is faster than Firefox (which I currently have no extensions loaded in). :rolleyes:

I've tried both Firefox and OmniWeb, and while I kinda liked OmniWeb, it was not small-screen friendly. My issue with Firefox is the Gecko engine. While great in comparison to Internet Explorer's, not what I was looking for. I use CSS a lot, and I like being able to use and see attributes like text-shadow.

So I've been reading the Firefox vs Safari thread with interest. I wanted to ask in there how Opera compared to the two since that is what I mainly use, yet I didn't want to send the thread off-topic. It doesn't seem like I see too many people talk about Opera.

How do you think Opera compares to Firefox and Safari?

So I've been reading the Firefox vs Safari thread with interest.  I wanted to ask in there how Opera compared to the two since that is what I mainly use, yet I didn't want to send the thread off-topic.  It doesn't seem like I see too many people talk about Opera.

How do you think Opera compares to Firefox and Safari?

584756355[/snapback]

I don't think you want to get me started on Opera. :x

Right, so it's just a coincidence that Safari loads and is faster than Firefox (which I currently have no extensions loaded in). :rolleyes:

584756307[/snapback]

If we're comparing load times, there's virtually no difference. BUT...Safari, the app, slows down trememdously after some usage. I'm not saying the page loading suffers, but the app as a whole is sluggish.

If we're comparing load times, there's virtually no difference.  BUT...Safari, the app, slows down trememdously after some usage.  I'm not saying the page loading suffers, but the app as a whole is sluggish.

584756375[/snapback]

Sorry, I've never experienced that. The only slowdown I notice is when I'm browsing an animated GIF-heavy page.

So what are you basing this on? I bet if Apple decides to go with extensions in the next version of Safari, it would take only weeks, if not sooner, for developers to come up with extensions that are currently available for FF.

584756198[/snapback]

What am I basing this on? Well it's obvious...current functionality of each app.

Yeah, IF Apple went with extensions. I'm not arguing what if's here. Hell...even without extensions, Firefox still has more to it than Safari, and doesn't suffer from the bloat.

Best browser on Mac OS X is Camino IMHO. Simple, fast, stable & functional. Firefox crashes more than Camino. Safari is understandably stable but is more resource hungry.

My browser preference:

Camino

Firefox

Safari

IE

584756198[/snapback]

It's not a question of what's possible; it's what's already available. We're comparing currently available versions of each product.

If Microsoft decided to support extensions, it would take no time for devs to come up with extensions for that either, considering the fact that it's still the most-used browser even today. Does that make the current version of IE any better than Firefox? Of course not; at least not in my opinion.

If you want to compare the two products taking future plans for each one into account, you should know that the Firefox devs have explicitly stated that Firefox will blend in much better with the native look-and-feel of OS X post-1.0. Apple, on the other hand, has made no claims that they plan to include support for third-party extensions to Safari.

If we're comparing load times, there's virtually no difference.  BUT...Safari, the app, slows down trememdously after some usage.  I'm not saying the page loading suffers, but the app as a whole is sluggish.

584756375[/snapback]

I'll have to agree with that, but it seems as if Mozilla has had a problem with their latest release on Mac. It crashes randomly, yet I still have to see this happen on my pc. :huh:

I don't think you want to get me started on Opera. :x

584756367[/snapback]

Yes I do - I am asking for reasons why I rarely see Opera mentioned. Something must be wrong with it if everyone picks other browsers. Surely it's not just because they don't like the thin ad bar in the free version.