"oldschool" games

Why is it suddenly cool to play oldschool games? What, Hot Topic does something with it and now you're cool if you played Pong? All this is pretty ridiculous to me. When those games were actually out, no one had that "gamer" title (which is now a clique title, THANKS TRUE LIFE MTV) to stick upon them and it was just "Do you play videogames?" and you either did or didn't. If you were wearing Mario **** back then it was geeky or stupid or same thing with Zelda ****, hell a lot of people didn't even know what Zelda was in my childhood.

And yet now, you can wear Zelda or Mario clothing and you're suddenly some cool gamer kid to the Hot Topic dorks. I don't get it.

And also with that realism crap. Why are game developers SO obsessed with making things try to be as close to being as real as possible? Why do people go ape**** crazy over it? HUH GUYS FICTION AND FANTASY WHAT'S THAT =(

I hope you dont mind me tagging on to your rant, Videogames seem to be more appealing now to every kid in the street, whereas back in the SNES and NES days, the focus was on us hardcore gamers, and to try and broaden their market, but today, thanks in part to the "MTV Generation" Every stupid kid has a games console, and 90% of then are online with it. It ****es me right off when I go to play a game online and some kid down the mic persistantly shouting off or swearing, theres no need for it! These kids want to look cool by wearing this merchandise and saying "I was there from the beginning."

Whenever I look at my XBOX, I get repelled by XBL because I have no freinds with XBL, and I have to play with these twats in the public lobbies. shouting down the mic in the robot voice and raping my ear. I was lucky with my first MotoGP game because I was mixing with some great guys who HELPED me because i was new at it. not the ###### who shouts "haha noob". I dont care if you have a rash on an unsightly part of your body, I dont care how high you are, I just want to make freinds, and have FUN! Isn't that the POINT? :angry: :angry:

... *sigh* *calm* back to work...

(sorry if this made no sense, I am just ranting.)

The reason people are called 'gamers' now is because that what they are. before they 'played video games' becasue back when people used that term the games had little or no depth and were very simple types of entertainment. they were only occasional users.

No 'video games players' new what graphics chip they had in their consoles when stick man tennis was being played. No 'video games player' new anything about ram or processor speed, the 'gamers' now all this now becasue 'gaming' or being a 'gamer' is more of a lifestyle choice. Its something people do everyday for atlast a couple of hours and commonly now everyhing abouyt there choses console/pc to qualify as a 'gamer'.

Wheras before you simply played 'video games' when they were available or when you felt like it.

To be honest i cant believe that there are people over the age of 17 that think mario clothing is cool. I have some of the biggest 'gamer' geeks in the world coming into my LAN cafe and none of them wear that ****. Not even the pc gamers wear game clothing.

Cheers

Max

well i'm 16 and i've been playing games as long as i can rembmer. my brother was (and is) a gamer, and he's almost 30. so he's a veteran like some of you people. i've always felt "cool" playing games. but yeah, i guess i don't really wear game clothing, but i do own a mario jacket. and it's snazzy.

Why is it suddenly cool to play oldschool games? What, Hot Topic does something with it and now you're cool if you played Pong? All this is pretty ridiculous to me. When those games were actually out, no one had that "gamer" title (which is now a clique title, THANKS TRUE LIFE MTV) to stick upon them and it was just "Do you play videogames?" and you either did or didn't. If you were wearing Mario **** back then it was geeky or stupid or same thing with Zelda ****, hell a lot of people didn't even know what Zelda was in my childhood.

584762737[/snapback]

Let's see, between the Mario/Zelda tv cartoons, the Mario movie, the Nintendo cereal, the Nintendo power hour, and Mario action figures at, McDonalds ... I think you may have forgotten what old school gaming was like.

People were obsessed with the NES. I remember my dad coming home and telling me how to do the 99 lives trick with the turtle shell in Mario, because he had learned it from his co-worker. 40 year old guys, talking about Mario.

People want to connect with that old school gaming mentality because it used to be cool for everyone to play video games. Remember arcades? Remember any party during the NES/SNES days? Now, video games, while widespread in some circles, is much more of a young male/hard core gamer activity. Why? They took all the playability out of games, and most of the competiveness. Why go to an arcade when you can play at home? Why learn more than a handful of games when it'll take much too long to master the controls compared to other players?

Take 20 people off the street, and give them the option of playing Root Beer Tapper, Mario, and Tetris for 5 hours, or Halo, Final Fantasy X, and Metroid Prime, and tell me which ones they stick with.