Cutting down on size

Question

My site is made with HTML, but it is very large (around 40KB not including images) is there any way to make it smaller in size without cutting down on the content?

25 answers to this question

you might try gzipping it.

most browsers support that, and those who don't support it are fed with the uncompressed version instead.

all gains for you. unfortunately it's a server setting on iis

You can compress the html code itself (ie remove all spaces and linebreaks)

This wil cut the size in half but makes it unreadable and hard to edit so be sure to keep an uncompressed version on your harddisk.

http://www.softlite.net/products/scriptworx/

This free html editor can do this for you.

Redmak, you are a champion! up.gif

I had no idea the filesize could be cut down so much by deleting linebreaks in code, etc.

[EDIT]

Previous size: 47.77KB

Size now: 26.67KB ;)

[/EDIT]

I looked at your HTML code.

Try and link the JavaScripts out side of your HTML file.

Use the same code but put it in separate files with the extension ".js".

<script src="./scripts/date_display.js" type=JAVASCRIPT>

Now when the "function" calls stay the same you can stil change the javascript code and you can recycle all javascript much easier in more HTML files.

good tips... I also like to have thing for compressing the html pages...

& I would like to ask aco what have you added in your page that it reaches at about 47kb... & it also doesn't have any image... wow...

The maximum size of pages I have created is at about 10kb... I haven't thinked of 40 or 50kb... wow

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

if you rememebr ages ago when we had the grey matter news script, before compression the page was about 200kb :D i have been through every single minute detail to make it as small as possable, and its going no smaller than that lol, so for the page 70kb is good :)

tingle

Nice one Tingle, you truly are a script-kiddie! A good one that is, not one of those lame people who claim to be hackers. I just mean you are great at web programming. :)

thanks pab :) all i got to do now is to actually make a profit out of all of this stuff im doing, i will be nice and happy then, a nice healthy profit out of everything i have taught myself :)

Yes you deserve to make a profit out of that work. Maybe you could set up your scripts for commercial websites?

I would hire you myself but I barely make any money at all as it is!

Originally posted by PabUK

lol.

Are there any good free news scripts that you would recommend? One that is easy to install and can be easily customised to fit in with a website.

I searched for awhile to try to find a news script. I found a couple that worked with linux and mySQL, but nothing that was simple to set up, and nothing that worked on a windows platform. I ended up learning Active Server Pages (ASP), which took me about 2-3 weeks, and now I have a great news script running. It uses ASP for the code and IIS to manage the databases. The databases were made in Access 2000.

Originally posted by Xain

IIS, Access 2000 and ASP?

Yuck!

Rule on PHP/Perl, MySQL and Apache!

LOL. You work with what you have :) The school that I used to be a student at and now a tech guy at runs IIS/Access, so thats what I used. But i tried PHP/mySQL, they are almost identical.

some grafixstuff can be pre-defined with the use off

Cascading Style Sheets.

I looked at www.brainjar.com for help.

he uses "

" to define certain blocks and styles in his pages,

quite nice and easy.

You could also search the web on "css" or "stylesheets"

Now with most of the stuff predefined you only have to load the definition once. (no more copy paste in your html code, much more readable)

And with that you'll create much smaller html code.

sorry, dont know of any news scripts specificly, there is php nuke, but thats more of an entire site and isnt very easy to fit in with the rest of the site.

As for php/asp mysql/access etc, i have worked with both, i find php much better cos it is much easier to connect with databases, and i just generally prefer it, plus it has the best resource to learn it from, the manual from php,net, i havent found anything like that for asp. mysql as far as i know is much more faster than access on large sites, we would have no chance of using access fiels for this site, just would be stupid opening and closing a 50mb file about 100 times a second :) hence the reason we use mysql, plus the fact php and mysql are all entirely free and can run on any server (neowin is on a uniz/lunix or whatever, the other one, not M$ lol). but really it comes down to the preferance of the personl, i prefer php, hence the reason neowin is done with php :)

tingle

That is one great advantage to using stuff designed for linux such as mySQL, no running to Barnes and Noble when you can't figure something out and you need a decent reference :)

There are a few but the one i used is from.... hold on http://www.gwscripts.com/ very easy to add news, and it just incorporates into the existing page. it uses perl, so go to www.activestate.com and get perl for windows.

that all there is to it, clean easy, etc.

there is also http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/scripts/newsadmin/ which is ok but i found the above one to be more powerfull, even from simple sites

Matt