Changing USB Port Rates

Sometimes I experienced some mouselags, jitter and small irritation details with my mouse(Logitech MX500). A friend of mine suggested to have a look at my USB port rates, the default is 100hz. So I surfed around looking for something good, but there were no complete guide so I putted one togheter. What this does is increasing your hz level on all your USB Ports to have a faster responstime. The disadvantage is that some devices doesn’t support this.

*EDIT*: This is ONLY for USB mouses(and other USB devices)

What are we waiting for? Let’s get that last fix for completing our gaming aim!! ;)

#1 Note: This mod includes changing your system files, if you have no experience in this I suggest getting that first. I’m not to be held responsible for any damage that may be caused on your computer.

#2 Note: Before we start it needs to be said that this modifying may affect other USB devices, both positive and negative. So I suggest to unplug any device except except for your mouse. If any other devices is negative effected try to lower the hz, if that doesn’t help replace it with your .BAK file.

#3 Note: This is only for Windows XP SP1/SP2.

#4 Note: I suggest reading threw the WHOLE guide before doing this so there’s no surprises later on ;)

Okay, now to the guide :)

1. Locate your usbport.sys in your %systemroot%\System32\Drivers

2. Make a backup of your usbport.sys in the Drivers folder, name it usbport.bak

3. Now you need to have a Hex Editor, if you don’t have one there’s tons of free ones: Hex Editor. (I used Hex Workshop) After Downloaded the software and installing it move on to step 4.

4. The real patching work beguns now. Fire up your task manager. And tab to ”Processes” and kill ”Explorer.exe” (This is to disable the WFP), don’t close your task manager.

5. Tab to ”Applications” and press ”New Task”. Then press ”Browse”. Locate your usbport.sys in the Drivers folder, open the file in your Hex Editor.

6. Now depending on which version of usbport.sys you have, you’ll need to replace one of the following strings:

3C 08 73 09 C6 86 0A 01

3C 08 73 09 C6 86 02 01

Use the common ctrl+f search to find out what you have.

7. Everyone with ”3C 08 73 09 C6 86 0A 01” look here, others move to step 8. You will now replace this string with this string:

500hz: ”B0 04 73 09 52 8A 0A 01

250hz: ”B0 02 73 09 52 8C 0A 01

8. Everyone with ”3C 08 73 09 C6 86 02 01” look here, others move to step 9. You will now replace this string with this string:

500hz: ”B0 04 73 09 52 8A 02 01

250hz: ”B0 02 73 09 52 8C 02 01

9. Now close your usbport.sys and save.

10. Copy your usbport.sys from the Drivers folder and then paste it in either %systemroot%\System_32\dllcache (Hidden folder) OR %systemroot%\Driver Cache\i386. This also depends on what version you have of your system.

11. Now ctrl+alt+del and reboot your computer and everything should work fine. In case the mouse doesn’t respond at this time connect to your ps/2 port and either use a lower hz or replace the files above with your original(usbport.bak).

12. In XP after rebooting you should feel the change (a noticeable lower sensitivity), for those who’s unsure download this software.

I hope everything worked out fine. No credit for this guide, found it at warleagues.com by RaZiel, I’ve made it a little simpler and re-touched it :)

Edited by biorK

Aren't system32\drivers protected in a way that when you make a change, it copies the original back from the prefetch? (or other windows system files backup location?)

584788790[/snapback]

That's right, it can change it back from the dllcache. But as I state in my guide you have to replace the one in \dllcache to(depending on version of XP). Therefor the "original file" is your modified. It's a golden rule in all .dll modifying in Windows XP.

NO luck. Also tried replacer with no luck.

You know:

hxxp://www3.telus.net/_/replacer/

584789505[/snapback]

Are you sure you've changed the Hex numbers correctly?

Open your usbport.sys and check out what your Hex is, if their default your replacing didn't succeed.