Salary Question In Regards To Major Pro Sports

I am about to go to bed because I am dead tired being on the East Coast an watching the game, so I am going to make this as brief as I can.

During tonight's Boston / New York Game 8, myself and several friends got into a discussion about professional sports, and the money/salaries/financial backing involved in regards to 3 specific ones: MLB Baseball, NFL Football, and NBA Basketball.

Since there were about 3 different theories going around tonight at my friends place, and I was wondering if one of the more knowledgeable sports fans of Neowin, considering I am definitely not one of them, could break it down to me in laments terms.

Basically I am wondering if someone can explain to me in the simplest of terms that how money works for each individual team in each sport. For example how much can they spend, is their a set limit/cap for each time, where do they get their money/financial backing from, etc.

TIA

Dirty Larry

Basketball and the NFL both have salary caps. Baseball, does not. The NFL salcap, I think is around $55 million this year...It might actually be near or at $60 mil, but I can't recall off the top of my head.

I don't know what the NBA's salary cap number is, however.

Basketball and the NFL both have salary caps.  Baseball, does not.  The NFL salcap, I think is around $55 million this year...It might actually be near or at $60 mil, but I can't recall off the top of my head.

I don't know what the NBA's salary cap number is, however.

584777976[/snapback]

Since I always read here within the Arena forum all of your posts about so many different sports, and as a result know your stuff and rightfully deserver the title Supervisor , you were just the knowledgeable sports fan I was admittedly hoping to answer.:punk:k:

You actually addressed the actual specific thing I wanted to know the most, the part about the Baseball cap. It seems I was in the minority tonight believing that was completely unfair for some reason. I just cant help but feel that has to be changed.

Thanks Agai(Y)Y)

while baseball doesnt have a salary cap, the most recent CBA instituted a luxury tax. any amount over $100 million i believe it is, a certain percentage goes into a revenue sharing fund to be redistributed to the other teams in the league. this is a step in the right direction, and it helps the smaller market teams. the current CBA expires after the 2006 season, and the salary cap will surely come up again. its just getting out of hand with certain teams that play in the Bronx.

Since I always read here within the Arena forum all of your posts about so many different sports, and as a result know your stuff and rightfully deserver the title Supervisor , you were just the knowledgeable sports fan I was admittedly hoping to answer.  :punk:

You actually addressed the actual specific thing I wanted to know the most, the part about the Baseball cap. It seems I was in the minority tonight believing that was completely unfair for some reason. I just cant help but feel that has to be changed.

Thanks Again (Y)

584778043[/snapback]

Thanks for the kind words!

As Catnip said, baseball will be hard pressed to get a salcap, due to the strength of the players union. In order for a cap to be put in place, the players have to agree.

Now...if you are A-Rod, and just got a 25 million per year contract, and a salary cap is implemented....someone's going to get a pay cut.

So, in essense, it won't happen anytime soon in baseball.