[Review] iRiver H120

(Pictures will be updated within the next few days, please be patient)

Welcome to my review of iRiver's H120. The H120 is a hard-drive based portable MP3 player from iRiver. The specifications for the device, as taken from their site, are:

---------------------------------------------------------

# Plays over 600 hours of digital music*

# Up to 16 hours of battery life

# Supports MP3, WMA, ASF, WAV and OGG music files

# Ultra-fast USB 2.0 transfers (up to 40 times faster than USB 1.0)

# Integrated FM tuner

# Backlit remote control with 4-line display

# Built-in voice recorder

# Intuitive music navigation

# Real-time MP3 encoding (no PC required)

# 20GB of internal storage

# Store or transfer files of any type

# Extra-large, 8-line, backlit LCD

# Rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery

# Optical input and output

# Upgradeable to future formats and features

---------------------------------------------------------

Comes with the following accessories:

# Backlit remote control with 4-line display

# iRiver earphones

# Carrying case

# Installation software CD

# AC adapter

# USB 2.0 cable

# Line-in cable

# External microphone

# Printed user manual

When I first opened the package, I wanted to take a look at all the stuff that came with it.....

Remote: This thing is sharp. Gives you total control over the player, has a screen to display information and can be used to extend the cord to your headphones. Points off for the belt clip facing backwards...it's still usable but a little awkward.

iriver1.jpg

Headphones: Earbud design with surprisingly good sound quality. Bass has a decent kick, everything comes through clearly and they're a pleasure to use when it comes ot audio quality. The cord sucks though, at least on mine. For one, it's too short for me to use these headphones while the unit is in my pocket and where the R and L sections split, the L cord is about 1/4 the size of the R cord. The lack of cord makes them unusable in most situations, then the differences in length make them look odd. ****ty cord design but good sound.

Carrying Case: This thing I am incredibly satisfied with. First of all, it does add a decent amount of bulk to the player, so if that bothers you, you might want to opt for an iSkin. It provides screen protection and keeps the unit from getting scratched, while keeping the controls free for use. The Line-in and Line-out ports are covered by a flap, but it's easy to snap the flap up for use either port. Stylish in my opinion, the only flaw other than the bulk it adds is the fact that it has a belt loop rather than hole, which will cause people that use the belt loop a greater inconvenience. Doesn't bother me personally however, so I'm in love with the stock case.

The Unit: The actual H120 is much smaller than I expected. It's a little taller than a standard deck of cards. It has a very stylish black and silver finish, a design I found most pleasing compared to other similar players. It sits comfortably in my hand and navigating it doesn't feel awkward at all. Everything is layed out in a logical manner. It's a good idea to glance over the instruction booklet to get an idea for the control scheme...holding and tapping buttons often does different things. For example, tapping record can switch equalizers, while holding it will switch the unit to record mode. It's got a solid weight to it, nothing too heavy mind you, just enough to not feel cheap. It has a feeling like it will last for years, not fall apart like some shady foreign product. Screen is bright and easy to read, buttons have a nice response to them and the joystick is simple to use.

Front

iriver-closeup.jpg

iriver-top.jpg

Bottom

iriver-bottom.jpg

Both sides

iriver-mic.jpgiriver-sidecontrols.jpg

Navigation

iriver-navi.jpg

Size Comparisons

iriver-pepsi.jpg

iriver-xbox.jpg

Other: Everything else is of acceptable quality. AC adapter and USB cable are both long enough to get the job done and the external mic has satisfied me evertyime I've used it. Line-in cable made it easy to hook my iRiver up to things like receivers and TV's to play music, and was just one less thing I had to buy myself.

Skipping and **** hasn't been a problem at all. I ****ing took this thing with me skateboarding the first week I got it. I skated my ass off for a good 2 hours, goin fast a s****, doing jumps 6 feet in the air off ramps and ****...the iRiver didn't give me a single problem the whole time and hasn't since. This thing seems to be able to take some abuse, which means everyday ****, or even accidently dropping it on some carpet or something shouldn' do enough damage ot **** things up too bad. :)

The control stick on the system doesn't take long to get used to. the only bad thing about it is at awkward angles (Reaching in a coat pocket or into a backpack) it can be easy to click in instead of to the left or right or something, so it can be difficult to navigate the system without holding it in a comfortable position. Usually when I'm walking I'm able to change songs and alter volume levels without having to take it out of my pocket at all or carry along the remote, so this is hardly an issue...just a minor annoyance.

The screen's backlight is blue and bright enough for every situation I've been in so far. It displays information such at artist, song, elapsed play time and the active equalizer setting in play mode. When browsing for songs, items are displayed in a file-tree style similar to Window Explorer. For me, to play a song, I'd scroll up an ddown through my band folders, click on the folder for the band I want to hear, click on the album folder, then navigate through the album to find the song I want. It's a logical process most users will already be used to. The rest of the 'OS' of the unit follows the same similar structure and ease of use. The only thing that can be confusing about operation is the tap / hold control scheme, but any confusion is easily resolved by the instruction manual.

Sound Quality is excellent. Anyone looking for exceptional sound quality will want to have a better pair of headphones than what the player comes with. The volume is very loud...I usually have it set between 8 and 12 out of 40 when using earbuds, nice to know it can really pump out some volume though. Everything sounds damn nice...I've listened to Hip Hop, Classic, Death Metal, Electronica.....everything sounds pristine. Plenty of equalizer options to play around with too for an even better sound experience. I've been using EQ settings more often recently and haven't seen any noticable drop in battery life. (Y)

The features the H120 comes packed with work very good. The recording features lets you record in MP3 or WAV and at different bit rates. you can use the built-in mic or an externally connected microphone. The FM radio gets decent reception and it's easy to set-up preset stations, similar to a car. I'm not a big radio fan myself, but there have been a few times I've gotten to test it out in study hall tuning into Classic Rock stations. Line out is nice because you can use this to connect a second set of headphones. Many times at school me and friends will be able to both listen to the iRiver at the same time, so I really like this feature. Here's a sample voice recording @224kbps MP3:

http://www.colin-uk.com/scripts/upload/pub...k9JQ0UwMTEuemlw

The H120 claims 16 hours of playback. I'd say this is pretty accurate. I'll usually listen to the unit for 5 - 8 hours a day and still have 2 or 3 bars left by the time I go to bed. Total playback time usually reaches between 14 and 16 hours, though it's bene a while since I've used it until it's gotten to 1 bar. I've been using it excessively for a month now and I'v enoticed no battery problems whatsoever.

Getting music onto the thing was as easy as I could ask. I plugged it in, Windows detected it, I clicked My Computer, double-clicked on the iRiver, then drug over a few albums. Transferring an hour of music takes just under 10 seconds using a USB2.0 compatible machine. Generally, full-albums take around 5-8 seconds to transfer. I haven't yet tested the software that comes with the unit, but will be doing so shorthly to give readers an idea of it's usefulness and ease-of-use.

Also from iRiver are a 40 gig model of this player and a new line that features a color screen and the ability to display text files and pictures. If either of these sound like things you ar elooking for, you may want to consider them instead of the H120.

So far I've been very satisfied with this MP3 player. It supports my format of choice, OGG, has many useful features I find myself using in ways I didn't previously predict, stores a good chunk of music and has a solid battery to keep it going. I purchased mine for 300$ at Best Buy, after geting a 40$ service plan and a discount (My brother works there). I've yet to come across anything that made me regret my purchase. Compard to other players, the iRiver gives you a lot more bang for your buck. I'd definately consider it if you're looking to purchase an MP3 player for yourself or someone else this holiday season.

Performance: 10/10

+Logical menu's

+Superb battery life

+Effortless transfers between unit and PC

Construction: 8/10

+Solid, durable feel to unit

+Case designed to protect well

-Bad headphone cord design

-Questionable belt clip and belt loop designs

Ease-Of-Use: 9/10

+Joystick easy to master, logical menu system

+PC to unit transfers are a breeze, no drivers required

-Tap / hold scheme takes some learning

Value: 10/10

+Loaded with features such as FM radio, Voice Recording and Line-in/out other players don't have

+Exceptional battery life

+Low price compared to the rest of the market (20gb / 300$)

Bottom-line: If you aren't afraid to try something other than Apple, give this a go. It's surpassed my expectations and has been a great walking companion for the past month. If you're in the market, the iRiver H120 is definately for you.

If you have any questions regarding this device and I did not supply you with sufficient information, please post a response and I'll try to answer any questions you have.

Edited by Raum

the clip on the remote is reversable. a lot of people like to flip it around.

the h120 is awesome. hands down my favorite hdd based DAP.

oh, might want to correct, the h120 CANNOT record FM radio. only h320 can.

the clip on the remote is reversable.  a lot of people like to flip it around.

the h120 is awesome.  hands down my favorite hdd based DAP.

oh, might want to correct, the h120 CANNOT record FM radio.  only h320 can.

584803878[/snapback]

Hmm, I thought you could, oh well. Guess I read wrong, as I've never tried to test this feature out myself. I'll edit it sometime.

where the R and L sections split, the L cord is about 1/4 the size of the R cord. The lack of cord makes them unusable in most situations, then the differences in length make them look odd

Just a tip mate, the right cord goes around behind your neck after the split, the left as normal. That way when you take out the buds, they hang around your neck so you can pop them in and out without hassle. :)

Btw, I own a IHP-120 myself, great unit :D

Just a tip mate, the right cord goes around behind your neck after the split, the left as normal. That way when you take out the buds, they hang around your neck so you can pop them in and out without hassle. :)

Btw, I own a IHP-120 myself, great unit :D

584808836[/snapback]

Well I guess that makes sense to do it that way, never thought of that...I figured maybe it was made for keeping the iriver in your left pocket or something. But still, the cord is like, a foot long or something....yeah I love to use them when I'm sitting at a table eating lunch or something because IMO the sound quality is pretty damn nice for stock earbuds, but they've got such a short cord that if I put the iRiver in my pocket, put on the headphones and then simply stand in a natural, straight position...the earbuds are pulled out of my ear. Depressing to not be able to walk using these headphones, isntead opting for the ****tier sounding earbuds that came with my old MP3CD player. Oh well, I plan to buy some better headphones this week anyways.

well, those aren't the most flattering pics ;)

all you're seeing is reflection of light from the flash...

imo it's just as sexy as an ipod...

so you don't use the remote at all?
Usually not, I tend to just keep it in my pocket and just pick an album and play it, using my hand to change songs every so often, or taking it out to change albums or something. Doesn't bother me enough. Only time I use the remote really is when I'm skateboarding.
Good review man. I dont think it looks good at all, especially since you know.. I have an iBook and iPods are just dead sexy with this thing. happy.gif

Yeah, I could see wanting to match and all, but honestly I dig the colors and design of the iRiver more than the smooth white of the iPod, just more my taste I guess. But he's right, those are ****ty pictures I took just ot show my friends what I got, not to show off the actual design and ****. I'll take some better ones sometime in the next 2 or 3 nights....tonight if I can.

They're pretty tough, unless it's in your pocket, and your on a wooden seat, and you end up being pushed onto the seat so your full 60-70 kilos of weight are on it, and your mates 70+ are on top of that...that cracked my LCD :( So i have to use the remote to see till i get it fixed.

They look pretty cool, how durable are they? Seems like it would break easy to me.  :huh:

584814304[/snapback]

Well, it feels damn durable, and it preforms well when being shaken around and stuff (Read the paragraph about me skting with it), but I'm not about to do drop tests or anyhting. :p

It seems to be built in a real sturdy manner, it just feels nice and solid when you grab it. I wouldn't be surprised if you could drop it from a normal standing position and still have it work.

hehehe...

forgive me iRiver for I have sinned: i have dropped mine once, from waist height onto carpet, a pretty soft fall really, but it didn't even skip playing :p

nothing i was just pimping my sig  :happy:

584816717[/snapback]

What contribution was that to the thread :rolleyes:

Anyway, nice review, as someone asked about the firmware, its easy to update and they come out with fresh ones nearly every 2 months :). I love my iHP140, its been great :D

yah i know :happy:

seriously though the only thing i dont like is the display and the fact there is no firewire connection . Other than that it looks like a solid unit which some people might take up. Wish i cud say more about it but i cant ;) nice review though thread starter :yes:

What contribution was that to the thread  :rolleyes:

Anyway, nice review, as someone asked about the firmware, its easy to update and they come out with fresh ones nearly every 2 months :). I love my iHP140, its been great  :D

584816853[/snapback]

I hear that. I am loving my iHP-140 to death. The voice recoding option is really great. I use my mp3 players to record every one of my lectures so I can review them later. Plus the TRUE driverless plug-and-play feature is really nice since you don't need any freaking drivers or software to hook the MP3 player up to a PC. I had the Creative Zen Xtra 30GB which I bought for $200 USD after tax cannot come close to this player. Even the Apple Ipod cannot compare to this player in features. That's why I had picked this one over the Apple Ipod.

Andy, this player has USB2.0 connection. USB 2.0 is better because it is universal and widely use and available unlike the firewire. Not every computer has firewire so it would be difficult to transfer files between computers.

Looks like you need to charge it! :p Nice review btw.

Plus the TRUE driver less plug-and-play feature is really nice since you don't need any freaking drivers or software to hook the MP3 player up to a PC.

That's all opinion really. I dont take the time to organize my music.. (iTunes does it for me :p) So I think it's much faster just to pop mine in the dock and let it automatically update. (or sometimes manual when im dealing with certain things)

But if you want to use it as a removable hdd you can. (w/o drivers/software)