Dsl ~help!

i am thinking about getting dsl...it comes with a free modem, but i have 3 computers, one downstairs and 2 upstairs(differnet rooms), what do i need to share my dsl with everyone? will this give me a home network?

thanx

You can easily do it. For me, as long as the wires are hooked up right, sharing doesn't take any work at all.

I'm not an advanced networker, but you need a router/hub

(intel03g.gif)

And alot of wires. Not sure what they're called, so someone else can help with the wires.

But here's what I've got:

MODEM:

? phone line (from phone line)

? power cord

? thick cord* (leading to hub)

HUB:

? power cord

? thick cord* (other end from hub)

? grey cord** (leading to computer)

? another grey cord*** (leading to share)

COMPUTER (main):

? grey cord** (from hub)

SHARE COMPUTER (slave):

? another grey cord*** (from hub)

It's confusing. But if you read all the instructions, you'll save alot of trouble.

Also, XP should configure for sharing the internet itself.

Originally posted by hurting101

You can easily do it. For me, as long as the wires are hooked up right, sharing doesn't take any work at all.

I'm not an advanced networker, but you need a router/hub

(intel03g.gif)

And alot of wires. Not sure what they're called, so someone else can help with the wires.

but they are on different floors/rooms, does that mean i will have wires running everywhere? do i need a wireless hub?

Edited my last post, added more.

Yeah there's lots of wires. I can't recommend one since I've never used one tho.

My hub is an 'Intel inbusiness 5-Port hub' and haven't had problems with it.

I'm gonna try to explain it as friendly as possible (no complicated terms)

I have 4 computers but they all on the same floor.

Here is my setup:

I bought a dsl Router called Linksys BEFSR41.

It had excellent reviews, and I bought for $70 shipped.

Then I got 4 long Ethernet (RJ-45) cords.

You'll need a long telephone cord, but I'm sure you already have that.

Instead of the connection going directly to one computer it went to the router, which ensures that each computer gets the correct information

That's all you really need.

It's a cheap solution, but YES you'll have wires all over the place

if you have the money, then go for wireless hub.

In that case you'll need different equipment, you'll need wireless cards as well.

so it adds up real quick ...

new topic:

I didn't want to edit my above one, but here are more thoughts to take into consideration.

the linksys router handles the connection so you don't like dial anywhere.

As hurting101 mentioned, winxp can handle that too, whereas win9x would require additional software (probably comes with your DSL provider)

Another thing to keep in mind,

some DSL provider's offer leasing wireless hubs for a certain fee/month, obviously in the long run it's quite $$, but you don't deal with teh hassle and you also get tech support for it.

if it helps I have DSL from earthlink 1.5Mbps down/384Kbps up

i could go into very very long detail about how to network your pc's but you cant train someone to set up a network on a message board and expect them to get it right. a good web site to check out is www.practicallynetworked.com

the linksys 4 port router is your best bet. it makes sharing internet a breeze, and yes, you will have a home network when done if you set it up correctly. good luck