eDonkey Workaround

Download ED2K Utils Here , then open up eDonkey bot and it will give u a problem saying edonkey has encountered a problem, ignore that and dont press close, instead eDonkey2000 will open, then after extracting ED2K Utils to your edonkey2000 Directory, open the eD2K BAT extention file, go to file and options and give ur location of edonkey, then click update Edonkey server list and it will update itself then press save ED2K server list button on the bottom right hand side, your server.met list is updated, be sure to delete your previous .met file just before you open eDonkeyBOT

keeping E2DK makes the servers refreshed, so keep it open and refresh every 4-5 hours, and keeping eDOnkeyBOT even with the close command gives u the ability to have the FAST search option which eDonkey gives

im sorryto inform u but this doesnt do nething but update the servers in lists and gives u better search..btw, without edonkeyBOT , ed2k would have never survived

Why? I have never heard of eDonkeybot? I have used eD2k for awhile now but I dont keep track of its development.

its ok to update the servers but that extended search cause the servers to use up bandwidth so try not use it

i think we should do as they say, dont bother with any addons go back to the way i was, hopefully then speeds will pick up again

stop using workarounds to get the fast search working. It may be good for end users and improve their edonkey experience, but it kills servers, and some of them had to go offline due to the edonkeybot doings its damage.

Since the edonkeybot was killed yesterday, I have found it easier to connect to some of the edonkey servers, when it was difficult in the past few weeks.

eDonkeyBot is the best thing for eDonkey2000 since the internet... without it eDonkey is pretty poor. The only way disabling eDonkeyBot will decrease the server strain is by decreasing the number of users.... normally I run eDonkey2000 24hrs sharing all the latest releases (like Photoshop 7, the new Oasis and Wyclef Jean albums, and Dungeon Siege ISO [2CDs]) but now I've had to stop using it cos of the bot not working anymore. So obviously this test is unfair because there will be far less users! Doesn't take much to figure out that the server strain will be less.

Now even if it's only me that's stopped using it that's 10kb/s less of me sharing, which is 600kb/s a minute, which is 864mb per day less shared. That's a lot! And it's not just me, there will be at least a couple of hundred less (probably thousands)... so 100x864mb = 86gig less bandwidth per day. That is a WHOLE LOAD less files being shared which will mean less people are sharing the same number of files meaning that most people will find it harder to get the files they want.

Perhaps they should work on a better way to update servers and search?! Then people would be far happier and wouldn't need the bot.

mortensen, it's also stupid what you are doing.

whole idea of that test is to continue to use edonkey like you used to but with the bot.

like you said, not using edonkey during that test will skew the results.

Apparently a couple of you didn't start using edonkey until after the bot came about. edonkey used to be awesome. great dl speeds, lots of files, lots of servers. the bot has totally ruined edonkey. Servers have closed down because of it. Dl speeds are much slower. The bot didn't save edonkey....if anything it will kill it.

excuse me guys but i tried to use the ED2K utilities and i retrieved a server list however none of the servers work and I cant get a description from them nor the amount of users etc.

In other words I cant even get Edonkey working. Can someone please give me a tip here.

i don't even know what the bot is, nor do i know where to get it.

i just use the util to update and verify servers and save the server list. is that ok? or is that worse?

man, this is dumb. for some people... like me, it's friggin hard to connect to servers if I don't use the bot. and plainly, I haven't even use the search more than 10 times and I have been using the donkey for pretty long time now.

[edit] how retarded, now my donkey is dummified... it just sits there and do nothing.

like you said, not using edonkey during that test will skew the results.
pparently a couple of you didn't start using edonkey until after the bot came about. edonkey used to be awesome. great dl speeds, lots of files, lots of servers. the bot has totally ruined edonkey. Servers have closed down because of it. Dl speeds are much slower. The bot didn't save edonkey....if anything it will kill it.

Erm, I used it long before the bot came out but it NEVER gave good speeds. With the bot I was getting better download speeds, etc. Since then I've eventually been using eDonkey again and it is very much slower for me. My download speeds are 0.6, and stop for most of the day. Searches come back with less results. eDonkey isn't as efficient as the bot at connecting.

Perhaps we could have the bot WITHOUT the FastSearch feature? I can live without that if I get better download speeds (which I do seem to get).

POINT - It is now easier to connect to servers. Before using the bot (but while everyone else was using it) it was IMPOSSIBLE to connect without the bot, now it is just as easy to connect without the bot as it was with it. But this sucks if my download speeds don't recover.

OMG... I just figured out what was meant. Normally I launch eDonkey BY the bot, with the workaround you just launch eDonkey first and THEN the bot, leaving the crash menu dialog up, allowing you to update servers. Me guesses they didn't want this.

And SHOCK, HORROR - My download speed increased from 0.6 straight to 8 (over 10x faster!) after using the bot.... but I will stop using the bot now so as to not mess up the test. Still, now I at least know that the bot DOES help download speeds.

I look forward to seeing a new version that will HELP the community, or even better, the non-harmful features being INCLUDED in the actual program... but that's just wishful thinking.

PS - The FastSearch feature doesn't work when you do this anyway. It is not possible to use the FastSearch feature unless you had it running before the started the test.

I am confused. Some of you say that your leaving the bot window open. That is completely impossible for me. My bot closes itself automatically. Whether I run it before or after the donkey, it just shuts itself down.

[edit] by the way, I do not encounter a problem when I run the ed2k util. how odd.

ok, this is turning into a real weird sh!t odd problem. All of sudden my edonkey works again. But it's windowless. Within edonkey, in the command console, it clearly displays I am under the control of eDonkey.

but it doesn't show under task manager or anything.

what the nut is going on.

I don't know if its because the bot isn't working or because I went from .60 to .56, but I have over 550 users on my queue. Before at the most I had maybe 52, 53 people in queue.