networking help.......

ok so I just got a network hub, and I connected my 1st computer to it...all is fine, but then when I try to connect the second computer to the hub, I can't access the internet w/ it and I supposed to do something different?

ok here is the full description, I have the cable modem connected in to the hub then I connected the first computer, so far all is good, but when I connect the 2nd computer I cant access the internet w/ it, but the 1st computer is still fine.

If I am not mistaken, you either need a router for each computer to connect to the internet independantly, or you need to set up the main computer with Internet Sharing with just a hub for the second computer to access the net..

Some Cable modem providers will allow you to purchase a second IP address (and third and fourth ect) for an extra fee. @home used to charge $5 extra. Otherwise you will need a route. I would recommend going to Costco and buying one.

Just a multi port router. I use and recommend the Linksys BESFR41 4 port router. Easy as making a TV Dinner to get it running. No hub needed. I have not used Microsofts Internet Sharing utility, but I here it can be a pain. So I can not help you there.

you need a router, a linksys 4 port router would be perfect. You can get it for about 80 bucks just about anywhere.

When you get the router, you won't need your hub.

KiLLa3D

Nope, I would suggest a router(with a firewall and NAT builtin) NAT (Network Address Translation) will grab one IP address. I recommend a linksys one. There is also Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which i dislike, but it would do the trick for you.

That's it. You'd need the hub if you had multiple IPs connecting to the cable modem. You could also use it if you setup a firewall/router inplace of a cross over cable.

hey

this is how i have done this.. my comp has 2 nics.. one for cable modem and one for hub.. the hub has 4 ports.. 2 used rite now. .some times 3.. but my second comp sees my cable modem as the gateway.. to do this.. you need to share cable modem and make the other comp look for a access.. if both are XP.. then its just plug and play..

laterz ;)