• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

networking help.......

Question

KeR    84

ok so I just got a network hub, and I connected my 1st computer to it...all is fine, but then when I try to connect the second computer to the hub, I can't access the internet w/ it and I supposed to do something different?

14 answers to this question

liar2    0

is the server computer on?

KeR    84

ok here is the full description, I have the cable modem connected in to the hub then I connected the first computer, so far all is good, but when I connect the 2nd computer I cant access the internet w/ it, but the 1st computer is still fine.

Stryder68    0

If I am not mistaken, you either need a router for each computer to connect to the internet independantly, or you need to set up the main computer with Internet Sharing with just a hub for the second computer to access the net..

KeR    84

ok how do I do that then....as you can see I am a beginner, I want to use Internet Sharing, bouth comp. have XP on them

mercuryx013    0

Some Cable modem providers will allow you to purchase a second IP address (and third and fourth ect) for an extra fee. @home used to charge $5 extra. Otherwise you will need a route. I would recommend going to Costco and buying one.

KeR    84

so let me get this I need a hub, and a router?

Stryder68    0

Just a multi port router. I use and recommend the Linksys BESFR41 4 port router. Easy as making a TV Dinner to get it running. No hub needed. I have not used Microsofts Internet Sharing utility, but I here it can be a pain. So I can not help you there.

Kanecorp    0

you need a router, a linksys 4 port router would be perfect. You can get it for about 80 bucks just about anywhere.

When you get the router, you won't need your hub.

Geronimo    0

KiLLa3D

Nope, I would suggest a router(with a firewall and NAT builtin) NAT (Network Address Translation) will grab one IP address. I recommend a linksys one. There is also Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which i dislike, but it would do the trick for you.

KeR    84

so what's a hub for the? Once I get the router all I need to do is connect the cable modem to it and the two computers and that's it?

mercuryx013    0

That's it. You'd need the hub if you had multiple IPs connecting to the cable modem. You could also use it if you setup a firewall/router inplace of a cross over cable.

Stryder68    0

You could also use a hub in conjunction with the router if you had more computers to hook up to the net than your router is capable of connecting.

OrangesOfCourse    12

hey

this is how i have done this.. my comp has 2 nics.. one for cable modem and one for hub.. the hub has 4 ports.. 2 used rite now. .some times 3.. but my second comp sees my cable modem as the gateway.. to do this.. you need to share cable modem and make the other comp look for a access.. if both are XP.. then its just plug and play..

laterz ;)

KeR    84

ok thanx everyone got it to work, I got a router (linksys 4 like everyone said) out at Best Buy works perfect now.