• Absolutely Brilliant
    • Good
    • OK
    • In between
    • Poor
    • Rubbish
    • I don't know
    • I don't care

well i will get my first mac in a few days... so if you can wait a few days i will certainly use your guide, thanks for making it.

btw i will get the iMac G5 20'' !!!

It's good, even though it seemed a bit unprofessional at times.

If having the most professional looking guide is not what you're going for, then it's all good. (Y)

584832977[/snapback]

agreed dude, plz note others that this is my FIRST article!

• 1 month later...
title says it all : http://thetechroom.co.uk/guides/macguides/...acarticle_1.htm iz the link.

Please note that this is the first article I have written!  :whistle:

584830573[/snapback]

It's not that bad... I'm not up to speed on the new Mac OS ... I haven't used a Mac since 1996... so, this would probably give me a good starting point w/ the new system. Good job... for a first timer!

It's ok, but not really too accurate in some instances though. After a quick read, i've these few points, i think you should work on...

Finder -

You can't really say its responsible for opening and closing Windows. Windows appear for almost every application on the Macintosh, but only Finder Windows itself, will be closed by the Finder. Other Windows will be closed, minimized or zoomed, by their Parent application.

The Finder, however, like you say is responsible for File Management like you say. I'd look to change this line -

"The Macintosh platform revolves on the finder. Its pretty much a hybrid of the Windows My Computer and the desktop. The icons on the desktop can give quick access to specific files and folders."

...The Finder is central to your Mac's files, it's the Mac alternative to 'Windows Explorer'. Of course this includes the desktop too. ;)

Services -

If I were you, i really wouldn't speak about Services in your FIRST 'Beginners guide'. Alot of recent switchers still don't know about Services, and although that might be inspiration for you to include them, i personally think it's too soon. There's a wealth of other differences between Windows and Mac OS, that new-comers should learn before 'Services', in my view.

Dock Applications (Descriptions)

Finder - responsible for file management and for opening, closing and displaying windows ** NEEDS Editing with what i said about Window Management / Windows Explorer...

iMovie. - You mention WMM as competition, but then show a favoritism towards the Mac app. If you want to remain professional, maintain being impartial, and deliver facts instead.

Quicktime Player - Don't mention Windows Media Content, mention what this app is for, not what it isn't...

- Page 2 -

Mac keyboard shortcuts...

"To close window will be pressing the Command button and M"

Command + M = Minimize

Command + W = Close Window

- page 3 -

Expos?...

"But what would you do when you are using multiple files from the same program ?(eg - Adobe Photoshop), well of course you would press F9 and use Panthers new feature, Expos?."i>

I can see what you are trying to say, but in truth, you'd actually need to hit F10 for Application specification Windows Exposure - Which you later talk about. I would rephrase the two sentences to talk about how you switch between ALL windows, and proceed to say -...well of course you would press F9 and use Panthers new feature, Expos?."/i>

I hope you take my points, as feedback to make your 'guide' more accurate, and not as something personal to yourself, or your work. One last thing i would say is, try not to talk from your perspective, talk as a reviewer might, about the system. The reader's don't need to know who you're MSN Conversation is with, or how you like your Te:) :)

...Oh! "One More Thing". It's 'Mac' & not 'MAC'...

Edited by Steve