.eml files all over the place!

Something very strange has happened and I don't know what caused it.

All around my HD there are various email messages (.eml) with titles like "jessica's story about school.eml", "desktop.eml" and "color world.eml"

There is 400 of them! :evil:

I'll just search for *.eml and delete them all, but I would like to know where they came from?? :s

Originally posted by aco

Something very strange has happened and I don't know what caused it.

All around my HD there are various email messages (.eml) with titles like "jessica's story about school.eml", "desktop.eml" and "color world.eml"

There is 400 of them! :evil:

I'll just search for *.eml and delete them all, but I would like to know where they came from?? :s

these are files created by the Nimda worm virus. you should probably head over to http://www.symantec.com/ and get their Nimda removal tool. And also get yourself some virus protection software, like Norton Antivirus. oh, and deleting those *.eml files won't fix it completely, cuz the Nimda virus kinda hides out in your explorer.exe also.

hum...wierd....maybe outlook ??? but that would be weird cuz i use outlook express and everything is fine (i dont like outlook 2000 so i never install it...but i have it....useless piece of **** lol)

I just read something about that desktop.eml on another board. The person who talked about it said that Norton AV 2002 had found the nimda-virus in desktop.eml. The only strange thing was, he couldn't find desktop.eml. And also NAV 2002 couldn't repair the file (hmm, sounds logical, no files, so no repair).

So I suggest you should try a virus-scanner and scan your system... If it's not too late already.

Thanks heaps for the speedy replys! up.gif

Especially eric, I'll go over to the symantec site now. It is strange because I scanned my computer with NAV2002 and it didn't detect anything. Oh well, I'll just be happy to get it out of the system. :)