Firewalls and online games

I was just wondering. I just got my first firewall. Does it afect the pings in online games to have it enable?

And if it does do you sugest disableing while playing? Or there is some tweeking that I can do? I have Symantec Firwall by the way.

It most definitely effects your performance. There is always a decrease in performance when using any firewall. It may not be enough to effect your gameplaying, but it will always slow you down.

I have Zonealarm Pro and i think i have noticed a slight detriment in performance but not on internet browsing and file d/l. I play CS and most of time its the server that is causing it. If u see that everyones ping is about the same as yours (except for say cable users cause i hav 56k) when it goes up and down its the server not ur end. If yours is significantly different then its ur end, but may not be the firewall. There are a number of factors associated with it that could be ur problem.

Also, if the pings are high on the server but u get no lag or very little then dont worry thats just a test of how good the server is. the route ur connection takes may make the ping that high you see

Also whenever you have another program running in the background remember it takes processor power and consumes a bit more memory which is taking it away powering your game and also takes away a bit extra processing power which the modem may need to efficiently and speedily send and receive data.

Tell us ur PC spec to see if this maybe the case

I would say that thats your problem. Hosting it on one computer and then having it monitor data that has to be ultimately received by another is a bad idea. The firewall has to scan the majority if not all data passing through it so you receive it then it has to be analyzed through a super fast 486 processor then that system has to pass it to your computer. Why dont you just use the fast one for it???

It would improve it no end.

I have the XP firewall on and haven't noticed any performance hit or any change in ping.

I think he said firewall not paperwall :) I run Atguard and notice no detriment while playing Q2 or RA2 or Red Faction :)

BTW I dont know if it still happens but Q2 got hit by hackers going in thru the game a few years ago, keep that wall up dude !

I'm running a P3 866 256Ram. Geforce3 and cable.

I use to get really low pings in UT, CS, Q3 and others, usually below 100 or at least below 200, but the last week, no matter which server I'm playing at I'm getting between 300 and 400 at best, when some of the other guys with DSL and cable are getting below 200.

Again I just got a Firewall and like one of you said I don't want to disable it since I got it after I got hacked.

I really hope it's not the firewall, but who knows...

Kheldar,

What exactly do you consider to be a problem with winXP's firewall?

Its considerably better than zonealarm and similar packages.

Does Zonealarm actually maintain an active connection table (similar to the way NAT would work) , meaning unless the communication origionated from the localhost, it isnt allowed in?

Because thats a sodding good start to securing any machine...

The only problem with winXP's firewall is that it is quite tricky to configure. It really needs a new front end designed for it.

By default it blocks virtually everything.

Also, why the hell is this guy using a firewall in the first place?

"just got my first firewall".

If you didnt have one before, why do you need one know?

What will it stop that AntiVirus wont pick up (ie:trojans, malwar embedded in webpages, etc).

Did you say port scans?

erm, so?

port scans arn't harmful.

Especially if your AV software has killed any trojans, before they even had the chance to open a port.

Jon