[ROGERS CUSTOMERS] The Best DOCSIS cable modem.

I am wondering what the best DOCSIS cable modem is available for ROGERS Hi-Speed Internet.

I have the old ones from @home, and they are offering a free upgrade to a DOCSIS modem, so I might as well (and I think I actually *need* to) take the oppertunity.

They offer three models, which are:

- Motorola model number SB5100

- Toshiba model number PCX2600

- Scientific Atlanta model number DPX2100

Which do you think would be the best choice? Based on ether:

- First hand experince

- namebrand backing

- Realiabity.

Thanks in advance!

I just got the SB 5100 today, heard great things about that and the Toshiba, but it seems more people are choosing the SB 5100.

Turns out when I got there my location only has the 5100's. Boxed and new.

I know have around 70k faster download. Can't complain!

i know it's not on your list but try the Motorola SB4100.

i have this modem, been offered the upgrade but wouldn't want to take it, they make really good modems plus with this model u can help yourself to some of their bandwidth for free ;) by uncapping it. got a 1.5 mbit line which i don't pay for :D

i know it's not on your list but try the Motorola SB4100.

i have this modem, been offered the upgrade but wouldn't want to take it, they make really good modems plus with this model u can help yourself to some of their bandwidth for free ;) by uncapping it. got a 1.5 mbit line which i don't pay for :D

584873473[/snapback]

Hey forcer!, Hows things? Its Nathan' :D

--

That sounds good hehe, congrats on that! I know Europe has pricey internet fees and such, all the more power bud! (Y) -- I dunno if I would attempt it though, dont wanna get in some trouble, but thats me lol :p

It seems as if the Motorola side is the way to go, so I'll be going for that 1 4 sure!

Thanks again everyone!

You should pick up a SB4100 off ebay for $20, very nice due to their customizability. And a fair warning, uncapping will get you in SERIOUS trouble, just don't do it.

I got the Motorola when I upgraded to their extreme pakcage thing. Im happy with it. Although I did read some reviews/forums before I got this one. From what I remember the Toshiba was the best (maybe second) followed by the Motorola (maybe first). Lastly was the Scientific Atlanta, which apparently alot of people got it and had disconnect and down/up stream problems.

Also if you uncap the modem, Rogers will find out very quickly. As they have the speed limit at both their servers and at the modem level (from what i remember). Also from what I recall the modem checks periodically with the servers for an updated 'config' file, which sets the permissions, line speed, etc. And if its modified, it sets a flag and auto updates it to the proper one.

Hey just to let you know : if you uncap a cable modem, it can and eventually will be detected by your ISP. It's probably not worth the slightly extra bandwidth for the possibilty you will be banned and perhaps legal action might be taken against you.

*edit LOL beaten to it 2x*

I have the 5100 too.  Motorola is one of the best in modems.  Im on Shaw but thats the same thing.  Great modem!

584873156[/snapback]

sorry but shaw and rogers are not the same at all, two different companies, very similar in term of advertisement etc but theyre not the same at all

you could probly get a better answer from the BBR forums

584872564[/snapback]

What we're not capable of answering this question? are the people on BBR Cable Modem Gods? I Think Not!

Anywho.. the Motorola SB5100 is a great one I think its the best out there ATM.

What we're not capable of answering this question? are the people on BBR Cable Modem Gods? I Think Not!

584875666[/snapback]

Well they do have a Rogers forum there so I figured people would have more knowledge/experience with this stuff.

i have RCA DCM235, and it's 3MBPS... not sure if you need that speed / can afford it... but i like it :)

Hey forcer!, Hows things? Its Nathan' :D

--

584874450[/snapback]

I knew it was you :cool:

As for uncapping, i know it's a risk but ive done it for months and never had any warning letters.. plus if they find out you play dumb! just restart the modem every once in a while so it has some communication with the tftp ;)

back to topic... just go with the motorola and yeah u can get the sb4100 off ebay cheap as chips but that newer modem rogers offers could be better

584875666[/snapback]

I agree. There's a lot of people saying the Mot modem is good. I'm on Rogers in Ottawa and its improved my speed by 5 or 10% w/o upgrading to the Ultra package. I had the Teryon modem before and it seems both are just as reliable. No service outage at all - I've had it for 2 weeks (I've also had none w. Teryon).

I knew it was you :cool:

As for uncapping, i know it's a risk but ive done it for months and never had any warning letters.. plus if they find out you play dumb! just restart the modem every once in a while so it has some communication with the tftp ;)

back to topic... just go with the motorola and yeah u can get the sb4100 off ebay cheap as chips but that newer modem rogers offers could be better

584879380[/snapback]

There are only a few select ISP's who could care less about their users uncapping, as it'd cost them more to go after them than they're costing them in bandwidth usage. Playing dumb also no longer works, if they spend the time finding you, they aren't going to go along with it, and there is NO way for you to "accidently" uncap. For most ISP's, speeds are regulated at the modem, rather than the CMT, however they can *easily* see if you're going faster than you should be, regardless if you're simply using one of their higher service configs. And a fair warning, most ISP's won't give you a slap on the wrist anymore, they often like to make examples out of uncappers, and take them to court.

Buyer Beware... :happy:

all ya need to say is ... i looked at a legal tutorial site which showed me how to tweak my connection to make it faster, i had no idea it was illegal and not allowed... i will instantly remove the tweak;)

everyones happy :)

Motorola SB5100, I'm using Shaw in B.C. , but I'm thinking of switching to 3Web Cable as it's a lot cheaper than Shaw, besides I have Shaw extreme and my friend has regular and he just swapped his Terayon modem for a Motorola SB5100 and still on regular service, he gets same speed as I do, yet I'm paying $10. more so I think Shaw's extreme is not so extreme after all, I'm also investigating on wether I can take legal action against Shaw Cablesystems for this too, since they are advertising falsely on their increased speed claims with "Extreme High Speed Internet".

But the SB5100 is a common Docsis 2.0 modem which a majority of cable co's use in N.America.

I have the Scientific Atlantis DOCSIS modem and I only get 30kb/s downloads (35kb/s MAX). I'm on Rogers High Speed Extreme too. I told Rogers my problem and they said that there is a lot of interference in my area, and that interference is weakening my signal strength or something. :crazy:

all ya need to say is ... i looked at a legal tutorial site which showed me how to tweak my connection to make it faster, i had no idea it was illegal and not allowed... i will instantly remove the tweak;)

everyones happy :)

584881896[/snapback]

Do you really think your ISP is that stupid? At the very least you will loose you connection. That is if you don't have to pay a high fine and or pay for the bandwith you were geting by uncapping. A co-worker was running uncapped for over a year before he got cought. He had to pay for a full year at the higher bandwith plus court cost plus no cable for 10 years! He is now on 56k. SBC DSL refused to let him get a ADSL line. The court ruled that uncapping was not a Tweak.

When you are getting slow speeds on your Extreme connection, and they tell you it is because of intereference in your area, they arnt lying. This happens often. They work on fixing it every day, so dont worry about it. If its not fixed within a few weeks then you can start bitching. I have a friend with Rogers Extreme and he gets 700KB/s down.