Fedora 3: The Official Release

Yeah, I was wainting for this to finaly Linuxize my Laptop :D and of course upgrade my FC2 desktop, I am new in linux, and it's exciting to return to command line and stuff :D

I am going now to burn the DVD ISO.

Which install is faster CD Iso or DVD iso

584886594[/snapback]

If you can put the .iso file(s) on a drive or partition that is FAT or ext2/3 formatted, then the 'from hard drive' installation is much faster. :yes:

Other than that, it would purely depend on your data transfer rates for your CD vs. DVD.

So far I've been using FC3 for 40 minutes - it's totally awesome and no problems with detecting configurations etc.

Downloaded it from netcraft.com.au at just over 290kb/sec (Y)

If you can put the .iso file(s) on a drive or partition that is FAT or ext2/3 formatted, then the 'from hard drive' installation is much faster. :yes:

But you would still have to burn the boot iso to a disk and boot from that though, right? Can you provide a link that details how to do this "from hard drive" installation method? TIA!

So far I've been using FC3 for 40 minutes - it's totally awesome and no problems with detecting configurations etc.

Downloaded it from netcraft.com.au at just over 290kb/sec (Y)

584888486[/snapback]

Any support for reading NTFS partitions yet?

Hmmph. All the mirrors are too slow for me, and bittorrent doesn't work even if I open up thos ports I keep reading about in my roughter. When I downloaded the test test 3 I was getting over 400 kb/s but now it wont go higher than 20.

Can't wait to see this in action

Hmmph. All the mirrors are too slow for me, and bittorrent doesn't work even if I open up thos ports I keep reading about in my roughter. When I downloaded the test test 3 I was getting over 400 kb/s but now it wont go higher than 20.

I bet you set your IP address wrong. Go to a cmd prompt (windoze box) and run ipconfig and make sure that IP matches the one you have configured in your router settings.

Help with router config.

Edited by Smitjel

But you would still have to burn the boot iso to a disk and boot from that though, right?  Can you provide a link that details how to do this "from hard drive" installation method?  TIA!

584888535[/snapback]

All the instructions are here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/R...tallmethod.html

Don't know if there are "Fedora specific" documents as good as this on the Fedora section of the site, but these RH9 manuals will do perfectly well.

Just finished the download on my University, wow, I was downloading @ 1405 KBps, that is the fastest I've reached over wireless fron the web. I can't wait to try it,

Just finished the download on my  University, wow, I was downloading @ 1405 KBps,  that is the fastest I've reached over wireless fron the web. I can't wait to try it,

584890055[/snapback]

I got 1406KB but using cable, where do you study? I saw you are from M?xico like me:whistle::

What the hell does "Out of Range" mean? ...

I tried to install, it starts loading the installer and then the monitor goes blank and it says "Out of Range." Is this is a problem with my vid card? :cry:

What the hell does "Out of Range" mean? ...

I tried to install, it starts loading the installer and then the monitor goes blank and it says "Out of Range." Is this is a problem with my vid card? :cry:

584898234[/snapback]

Usually means your video card is using settings your monitor does not support - try doing the install in text mode (Y)

I got 1406KB but using cable, where do you study? I saw you are from M?xico like me:whistle::

584895394[/snapback]

I Study @ Monterrey Tech (mejor conocido como tec de monterrey) Monterrey Campus,

With Ethernet cable I have reached almost 2 MB, I was using a Download Manager late at night ( no people slowing down the connection) and of course very very near to the wireless antenna:pp

I know that maybe this is not the place to post it but during the installation Disk Druid Refused to automatic partition my disk, it complaned about the disk not being primary but when I installed FC2 I had no problems, also my ethernet is broken:ss Its a Cnet Pro200 (It uses tulip driver on linux), FC2 flawlwsly connected using DHCP, now it just Fails to bring up eth0, I also tried using an static IP from my static IP range theat my router allows and didn't help either, also it complains about ACPI on my BIOS, FC2 never did that, :(( I think I might go back to go back to FC2, It must be that my hardware is somewhat old, P3 with old Via apollo pro chipset,:((

Im going to install it the next weekend, right now I have exams :s

@memo.inc

I also study @ITESM but Campus Edo. M?xico and we are going to win on Saturday:pp

584900465[/snapback]

HAHA good to hear you are fellow Tec guy, Did you know that a few weeks ago One of the Gaim main coders came and gave a speech here @ monterrey, I had an exam so i couldn't go but man I wanted to go so badly

Offtopicness:

HAHAHA you wish, I am not very optimistic about this season, but I hope we will show who are the real BORREGOS, the originals..:pp

damn i just bought fedora 2 of ebay... is no. 3 much better? or should i try out 2 before i make my desicion?

584902434[/snapback]

I would think that you can install FC2 and update yourself right up to FC3 levels (new kernel, updated packages for everything else).

FC1 to FC2 is more difficult, as they have a different series of kernel, and you would have to manually upgrade your kernel.