Personal Web Server & Windows XP problem

Question

I have a site and use asp for serving a database. I installed PWS from Microsoft windows98 cd rom and my asp pages working fine in the inetpub directory that pws creates.

The problem is in Windows Xp . I installed the pws tha comes with winXp but my asp pages are not working. Any idea...

Thnaks in advance..

pcdolfin administrator

19 answers to this question

Why you are using Personal Web Server on XP you should use IIS ( Internet Information Service )...

You have to install it from Add & Remove in Control Panel...

I also have used it... & also I have installed PHP support onto it...

Let me know if this things works for you...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sorry about my mistake. I mean that i have already use iss . I told it like this so everybody could understand it.So my problem is the same. I get all this using ISS..

pcdolfin, i'm experienced with ASP and M$ seem to change the syntax for some of their ASP tags between different versions of PWS and IIS. I use ASP on IIS so if you want to send me some excerpts of the code that the web server throws up as containing the error i'd be happy to give it a look over. My email is attached to my name :)

Originally posted by Nick_Jones

pcdolfin, i'm experienced with ASP and M$ seem to change the syntax for some of their ASP tags between different versions of PWS and IIS.

IIS 5 and above uses ASP 3.0 which has extra stuff. Microsoft DO NOT change the syntax between PSW and IIS.

Dave

Actually, they do change some things. The thing i was referring to was they way they handle the date function, which has changed numerous times between the different builds of XP which is why some of my pages didnt work.

so there :p

Actually, they do change some things. The thing i was referring to was they way they handle the date function, which has changed numerous times between the different builds of XP which is why some of my pages didnt work.

so there :p

So are you saying it has changed between builds of XP or like your original comment between builds of PWS and IIS ?

Dave

Originally posted by Dave B

So are you saying it has changed between builds of XP or like your original comment between builds of PWS and IIS ?

Dave

erm Dave, if its changed between builds of XP then one of them must be different to PWS

* Moderator Edit * No need for name calling.

pcdolphin: are the permission errors the only errors? if they are then you need to make sure each directory has script permissions enabled. This may also be called "execute" but that is dependent on your web server. In IIS, execute is not needed to run ASP, only CGI.

if you're getting errors other than permission errors, then send the ASP my way and i'll have a look at it. my email is attached to my name.

erm Dave, if its changed between builds of XP then one of them must be different to PWS

You originally said ASP tags changed between IIS and PWS, then you said between XP versions.

All I said was NO tags changed between PWS and IIS.

Yes tags will change between XP versions as it goes through the different BETA stages.

Dave

You originally said ASP tags changed between IIS and PWS, then you said between XP versions.

All I said was NO tags changed between PWS and IIS.

Yes tags will change between XP versions as it goes through the different BETA stages.

Dave

wot don't you get?! if it changes between builds of IIS then ONE MUST BE DIFFERENT TO PWS. do you not understand the logics of physics or something?

wot don't you get?! if it changes between builds of IIS then ONE MUST BE DIFFERENT TO PWS. do you not understand the logics of physics or something?

Could you please tell me which function have changed then ?

Dave

Could you please tell me which function have changed then ?

Dave

the date function for a start, 2 versions produce two different outputs. I have been using XP for a year, i have gone through builds 2428,2446,2462 etc... up til 2600 (including server versions 2462, 2491 and 3505) and i've had to modify my ASP along the way to account for the changes. Not every one of these versions is going to be the same as PWS, because if they are all different, then thats physically impossible.

the date function for a start, 2 versions produce two different outputs. I have been using XP for a year, i have gone through builds 2428,2446,2462 etc... up til 2600 (including server versions 2462, 2491 and 3505) and i've had to modify my ASP along the way to account for the changes. Not every one of these versions is going to be the same as PWS, because if they are all different, then thats physically impossible.

I see where you are coming from here but the way I understood your original comment was that some ASP tags had changed between PWS and IIS and I replied to that. At that time no mention of XP etc...

So is IIS on XP version 5 or has it been updated ?

Are you referring to ASP 3 code or .NET code ?

EDIT: What exactly is the problem with the date function, as we will probably be moving to XP soon and I would like to know before hand ? Also are you sure it's actuallu a IIS change and not a change in the locale setting in XP ?

Dave

The version of IIS that comes with Windows XP Pro is 5.1 (with standard ASP support) and Windows .NET server is 6 (with standard ASP support and ASP.NET support). What i was saying that because it changed between different builds of IIS 5.1 and different builds of IIS 6, at least one of them had to be different to PWS and this may be the problem. He may find that if he were to try his ASP code on a different build of IIS that it would actually work first time without any tweaking, but that is not the case with his IIS.

However, now that he has mentioned permissions, this makes me think it is not actually the different builds that is the problem, but he's just put the ASP files in a folder that don't have script permissions.

pcdolfin: simply erradicated doing the following:

Start Menu -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Internet Information Services

Once there, expand it all and right-click on the folder that the ASP files are in that you are trying to execute. Where it says "Execute Permissions:", make sure it says "Scripts only" and not "None". That should fix the permissions problem. If you still get problems after this contact me.