NFL reach new deals with Fox, CBS and DirecTV

DirecTV has got a new exclusive deal for their NFL Sunday Ticket package until 2010 and both Fox and CBS have extended their deal until 2011.

DirecTVs NFL Sunday Ticket package will soon have two levels of service which will include a basic and premium package. Also the deal also includes a requirement that both CBS and Fox will phase in all games to be broadcast in HDTV and DirecTV will also carry all games in HDTV via the NFL Sunday Ticket pacakge.

Also the Premium NFL Sunday Ticket package will have new interactive features to include multiple angles and views during live games. They will have a new Red Zone channel which will cycle games with teams who have or are in the red zone about to score. They will have new DVR features as well as remote viewing of all NFL Sunday Ticket games from a broadband enabled computer and/or handheld.

Also the NFL is looking at both Sunday and Monday night flexable scheduling options as well. Also they most likely will offer Thursday night and Saturday afternoon games for OTA and/or cable customers. Also the deal does leave the NFL the option to offer to all cable and sat providers in the last half of the season a package of 8 games every week that customers could buy. Now that is an option and hasn't been stated it will be done.

Also the NFL Sunday Ticket package will also have a channel that would allow customers to see more than one game on their TV screen. Kinda like PIP where they would have 6 boxes showing different games and I've also been told by a few contacts that this feature would be an interactive feature that would allow you to use the arrow keys on the remote to move and select a box and it will tune directly to that channel. I've also been told that the system would allow the customer to tell it what local channels you have so if you select a game that is broadcast on your local station the system will know to tune to your local station and not the blacked out ST channel.

I wish the NFL would ditch the exclusive deal with DirecTV. That limits their audience. I would buy the NFL package if it was available from my cable TV provider. But it looks like they will be making certain games available without the DirecTV thing, which is good.

I wish the NFL would ditch the exclusive deal with DirecTV.  That limits their audience.  I would buy the NFL package if it was available from my cable TV provider.  But it looks like they will be making certain games available without the DirecTV thing, which is good.

584891159[/snapback]

I know what you mean. I'd go for the NFL package but I wouldn't leave my cable provider. They are just too good in this area.

I was looking forward to their contracting ending this year but them bastages go and pull another exclusive.

Exlusives cut your market idiots!!!

Wonder who had to sleep with who to get this deal setup!

I know what you mean. I'd go for the NFL package but I wouldn't leave my cable provider. They are just too good in this area.

I was looking forward to their contracting ending this year but them bastages go and pull another exclusive.

Exlusives cut your market idiots!!!

Wonder who had to sleep with who to get this deal setup!

584891166[/snapback]

Like my post said above its an option but they have never said cable would get any games even at the end of the year. What you get this year will be what you will get next year but that could change but that isn't final yet.

Now the NFL has been getting quite a bit of heat from all the networks that if they made the package available to all providers they would get killed by losses in advertising which is true. Poeple who have many more games will tune to another game than watch local channel ads. If the local networks lose money they won't buy it or they would move it too one of their parent cable networks such as ESPN so that leaves out free OTA TV. That isn't good for consumers and our bills would reflect this. This isn't as simple as you all think. This isn't all the NFL or DirecTV. This is all about balance and people don't consider the effects of change.

im not sure i like the idea of thursday and saturday night games.. but i guess i could deal with it.. the flexible monday night football schedule is a good idea, as long as they plan on giving enough notice for fans planning on attending the games. i like that FOX and CBS get to keep the games. They both do a great job.

• 2 weeks later...