2 IPs for one nic in XP

alright... here's something a little advanced... hopefully I'll be able to explain it.

What I want is one nic to have 2 diferent IPs, one for the internet and one for a lan. Now, I have the internet going in through a hub to the "uplink" port. It uses dchp. One computer is set for dchp that will use that internet connection. The other computers are all set to a lan ip in the 10.5.2.x range and a subnet of 255.255.255.252. What I want to do is also have the computer that the internet goes to, to have a lan ip as well as an internet IP withouth having to add another nic. Is this possible in XP? I know it was in 2k and nt4.. and if so, how?

And just to clarify, that alternate ip in the tcp settings is only used as a backup IP and not used at the same time as the other.

goto control panel/network connections/ Lan area Connection#

# = lan number

get the properties of the tcp/ip protocol up then..

If your card is using DHCP then In your LAN properties you should have the tab ' Alternate configuration' where you can specifiy another IP addr

If your ip address is static then you will have to go into the 'advanced' section to add another IP addr.

if you don't see that, are you using HOME ?

and there right sort out that subnet 8)

PS : you can always use the 'route add' command if there is a server on your net as well

Originally posted by craybox  

goto control panel/network connections/ Lan area Connection#

# = lan number

get the properties of the tcp/ip protocol up then..

If your card is using DHCP then In your LAN properties you should have the tab ' Alternate configuration' where you can specifiy another IP addr

If your ip address is static then you will have to go into the 'advanced' section to add another IP addr.

if you don't see that, are you using HOME ?

and there right sort out that subnet 8)

if you read what i said in the last paragraph it said that the alternate ip address tab is for a backup ip... meaning if the dchp fails, it'll use that one. It won't use it if it's successful.

I guess having 2 ips isn't possible with dchp enabled.

oh, and btw, I want to use 255.255.255.252 because I already have a phoneline network card routing the internet using 255.255.255.0 and It's my understanding that you can't have 2 nics use the same subnet.

sorry i misunderstood 8)

btw you don't write the questions for the MS exams do you ?

;-)

on a serious note could you let us know where this was possible in Win2k/nt as i couldn't find anything on it. I'd be suprised if they removed that feature!

If he wrote questions for the MS exams I doubt half the people that are currently certified would be.

And i don't think that you can do what you want to do with one NIC. Your gonna have to go with 2. But i could be wrong, and I probally am.

Aren't the TCP/IP settings (i.e. IP, DNS, etc) all values somewhere in the registry? You could probably do it with a pair of reg patches (one for INET and one for LAN), don't know if a reboot would be necessary though).

I found my IP and TCPIP Values here with simple reg search.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001Services{AB3DD0E5-A606-4DAE-A313-2A4E6524BE6}ParametersTcpip

There's an option on the TCP/IP properties page for Alternate configuration where you can add anoth IP using either DHCP or static.

And there's nothing wrong with having the subnets the same on NICS.

Originally posted by ElGato  

There's an option on the TCP/IP properties page for Alternate configuration where you can add anoth IP using either DHCP or static.

are you blind? I've said twice now in this thread that it isn't what you think it is.

And just to clarify, that alternate ip in the tcp settings is only used as a backup IP and not used at the same time as the other.
if you read what i said in the last paragraph it said that the alternate ip address tab is for a backup ip... meaning if the dchp fails, it'll use that one. It won't use it if it's successful.

:ponder:

Originally posted by craybox  

on a serious note could you let us know where this was possible in Win2k/nt as i couldn't find anything on it. I'd be suprised if they removed that feature!

I honestly don't remember, but I know it was hidden deep within both of them... my guess would be hard to find on purpose.

Originally posted by ElGato  

So what does this mean then ? Doesn't mention backup! Actually says "More than one network" which is what you want isn't it?

heh... obviously you misread it. At first it would seem that it means that, but take a look at what comes up when you press the f1 key

alt-ip.gif

and, from windows help...

Windows XP uses either Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) or the alternate configuration to automate Internet Protocol (IP) configuration of network connections.  

By default, the computer first attempts to contact a DHCP server on the network and dynamically obtain configuration for each installed network connection, as follows:

If a DHCP server is reached and leased configuration is successful, TCP/IP configuration is completed.  

If a DHCP server is not reached after approximately 60 seconds or leased configuration fails, the computer uses the setting on the Alternate Configuration tab to determine whether to use APIPA for automatic TCP/IP configuration or to configure TCP/IP with the alternate configuration. When APIPA is used, Windows XP TCP/IP uses an address in the APIPA IP address range (169.254.0.1 through 169.254.255.254) and the subnet mask is set to 255.255.0.0.  

and more from windows help explaining what purpose this has other then a back-up..
For example, laptop computers are sometimes connected to an organization network that provides dynamic addressing. At other times, they require an alternate, manual configuration for home networks.

No, that alternate deal is just that, alternate. It won't use both at the same time, its a fall back. If there is no DHCP server present it automatically switched over to the assigned IP set in there. I WILL NOT use both simultaniously. Its and either or deal.

Originally posted by iliveinbeaver  

No, that alternate deal is just that, alternate.  It won't use both at the same time, its a fall back.  If there is no DHCP server present it automatically switched over to the assigned IP set in there.  I WILL NOT use both simultaniously.  Its and either or deal.

at least someone agrees with me :cheeky:

Thank you, now you're less insulting and condesending, and feel you can actually spare the tome to explain to us less enlightened types, , I understand, ;). And before you go of on one again, I did try the help, but obviously not in the right places. I might add that it is confusing on the tab "More than one network".

BTW, have you actually sorted it now?

And will you be shareing the solution with us?

Or do you still require assistance?

would it be of any use to you to specify the IP address that APIPA gives you if it fails to reach a DHCP server.

I.e instead of it giving you 169.xxx....

you want it to default to 192.xxx

cause i know where that is in Win9x but can't find it as yet in 2000/XP...

???

What is allocating your IP addresses? (ie what is your DHCP server).

By saying 'use DHCP', what you're saying is 'go on windows, find me an IP address'. Windows looks for a DHCP server, if it finds one then the DHCP server gives windows an IP address, based on rules set up in it. If it can't find one, then windows just generates one from the 169.254.x.x private range.

I don't think what you're trying to do is actually possible. By selecting Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, you are giving up your ability to statically input IP addresses (they are now Dynamic!).

I have something similar setup at home (I think). I've two PC's and a Laptop connected into a 8-port hub. Also an Internet Server/Modem (192.168.100.1) connected into a spare port (the uplink should only be used to connect a hub to another hub), this i-server also acts as a DHCP server. All the computers have the i-server IP address mapped in as their gateway. When connecting to the Internet, the i-server, once dialled-up, the i-server also holds an IP address assigned by my ISP.

Hence I don't use ANY fixed IP addresses for NIC cards, but need only set the gateway up on a machine.

You can't have 2 or more IP address's on a single adaptor weather using static or DHCP.

You can in XP however have an alternate configuration settings (ie. differnet IP) that would be initiated if the primary fails. Still you cannot use both at the same time.

Your best bet is to install 2 network cards and configure each to different settings.

On that note does anyone know if it is possible to have 1 set of settings for 2 network cards. For example I would like to be able to have 2 100Mb cards acting as 1 card. Therefore theretically I should be able to get 200Mb connection. Sort of the same concept as running 2 modems to double you bandwidth.

Originally posted by eangulus  

You can't have 2 or more IP address's on a single adaptor weather using static or DHCP.

You can in XP however have an alternate configuration settings (ie. differnet IP) that would be initiated if the primary fails. Still you cannot use both at the same time.

Your best bet is to install 2 network cards and configure each to different settings.

On that note does anyone know if it is possible to have 1 set of settings for 2 network cards. For example I would like to be able to have 2 100Mb cards acting as 1 card. Therefore theretically I should be able to get 200Mb connection. Sort of the same concept as running 2 modems to double you bandwidth.

To address your post in order:

1) You can have 2 IPs on the same NIC, go to advanced in the properties of TCP/IP for that NIC and add the second address.

2) Do a search for MultiLink in the help, you should find what you need to have 2 NICs function under 1 IP address.