Getting access to C:\System Volume Information

Hi. I had a few viruses lurking around in C:\System Volume Information\_restore.

Normally, you can't access that folder but now it's all going to change! If you ever have a virus in SVI, do the following:

WinXP Pro under FAT32

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

3. On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders.

4. Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.

5. Click OK.

6. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.

WinXP Pro Under NTFS

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

3. On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders.

4. Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.

5. Click OK.

6. Right-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder, and then click Properties.

7. Click the Security tab.

8. Click Add, and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Choose the account location if appropriate (either local or from the domain). Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on. Click OK, and then click OK.

9. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.

WinXP Home

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

2. Make sure that you are in the root folder of the partition for which you want to gain access to the System Volume Information folder. For example, to gain access the C:\System Volume Information folder, make sure that you are in the root folder of drive C (at a "C:\" prompt).

3. Type the following line, and then press ENTER:

cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F

Make sure to type the quotation marks as indicated. This command adds the specified user to the folder with Full Control permissions.

4. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.

5. If you need to remove the permissions after troubleshooting, type the following line at a command prompt:

cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /R username

This command removes all permissions for the specified user.

thanx

Coincidentially i just removed one hiding in my external harddrive's System Volume Information

but um

wont most Antivirus check & detect if there is a virus in there?

(mine did)

bytheway what is are all those folders in there for?

Dont delete everything. Just do the steps above IF YOU SUSPECT YOU HAVE A VIRUS.

584921153[/snapback]

Oh. I might delete some stuff because as I said, things I deleted before are there.

It takes up around 2-3 gigs.

Just to make a note, if you don't see the Security tab, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View and turn off simple file sharing

584921370[/snapback]

I still dont have it

u can delete anything in the SVI folder if u have system restore off and also if u delete the SVI folder itself, it will just be recreated by windows, u cant get rid of the folder.

Hello everyone,

I have XP home with NTFS... did everything but when I click on the SVI folder, I still get an "Access Denied". Anybody knows why or how to get through?

Thanks

Erick

I did read the first post, at least ten times. Also read the Microsoft support page. I don't get that part:

"make sure that you are in the root folder of drive C (at a "C:\" prompt)."

What does that mean? When I type cmd and press Enter, I get C:\Documents and setting\Admin>

I did read the first post, at least ten times. Also read the Microsoft support page. I don't get that part:

What does that mean? When I type cmd and press Enter, I get C:\Documents and setting\Admin>

584993230[/snapback]

tpye "cd .." (no quotes) press enter

repeat

you are now on the root of your c drive

584993230[/snapback]

and if you cant understand the post above me.. when you open cmd, type this: cd /

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

584993230[/snapback]

Erik,

The references to cd.. go back to the days of DOS (disk operating system) that you may have never seen if you are younger than about 40 years old. Anyway cd (change directory) and cacls are DOS commands. If you want to see the possible options (or switches) type cd /? or cacls /? and they will list out. The cd command is used to move around in the directory structure that windows has changed to "folders". If you are in c:\Documents and setting\Admin> typing cd.. takes you up one level in the directory structure to c:\Documents and setting> and typing cd.. again takes you to c:\> which is the "root folder" or "root directory" for us old guys. Typing cd / from any directory takes you to the root. Another item to watch our for is the (switch) forward slash (/) vs. the (directory) back slash (\). It makes a difference. Blame Bill Gates. I always do. By the way, I used the first post to get rid of some spyware and it worked great.

Bob